PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town Rentals

Irv
25th Feb 2004, 17:12
Someone called me late last night looking for recommendations for S.E. hire around Cape Town. UK pilot and spouse pilot, both about 500 hours, but heading out for 2 weeks vacation in about 4 days time. I told them that if they wanted to hire and fly without an instructor they would first have to
(a) pass SA air law
(b) pass the validation flight test
(c) get the validation paperwork out of the CAA

Now obviously (a) and (b) are just a case of getting on with it early on in the visit, but different clubs have different 'track records' at 'paperwork turn around'. For example Algoa in PE are brilliant at this, but other places are pessimistic from the start and results seem to follow attitude.
Can anyone recommend a rental place in the Cape Town area which will actually pull a finger out to get the paperwork through the SA CAA?

CaneRat
25th Feb 2004, 18:02
Yeah, sure, you can try Elvis (AKA: Sporty) from the V&A Waterfront. Im sure he will Rock the CAA Around The Clock!:rolleyes:

George Tower
26th Feb 2004, 02:28
Irv,

I did most of my flying with Good Hope Flying Club although I was on an SA licence I did meet several people that were from the UK and had flown their a/c.

Their telephone number is +27 21 934 0257, email [email protected] and the CFI is Dietland Lempp. There is also the Cape Aero Club (only have the website) www.capeaeroclub.co.za

There is also Stellenbosch and Fisantakraal to try.

As for turning paperwork around quickly with the CAA I once used a company called (I think) LL Aviation based in Pretoria. They turned everything around within a day for me - although that was my initial PPL issue. I think they charged about R250 which might sound a lot but I wanted and got my licence within two days from sending the paperwork to the CAA.

Goldfish Jack
26th Feb 2004, 12:01
The CAA does it on behalf of Elvis

Irv
26th Feb 2004, 18:32
Thanks - all comments passed to interested party. Subject closed!