View Full Version : ADF Testing help

WannaTry
25th Feb 2004, 07:53
Greetings to all.

I am going to apply to the Australian Defence Force for a helicopter pilot soon. I have a PPl on fixed wing and was asking if there are practice tests for the testing exams, in particular, those that relate to the pilot testing? I have searched for hours and have found only a few tidbits, but none that really seem to cover what I have told exists. The reason I ask this is because I have heard that the exams are aimed at those that have little or no understanding of flying, and that having some of this knowledge could confuse you come testing time.

Thanks in advance.

Runaway Gun
25th Feb 2004, 18:18
WT,

I'm sure that the ADF has a few spare helicopter pilots that they could give away. :p

But seriously, it's all about assessing the candidate's aptitude, so there's not much you can do to prepare for these tests.

Best you study up on your maths and english, and practise your public speaking. Guess what questions they may ask you, and prepare sincere answers. Know why you want to join the ADF, and find out as much as you can about your chosen career.

Good luck,

RG.

Twinact
25th Feb 2004, 23:21
Damn,

I thought this guy wanted to know about how the NDB worked!:\

Roghead
26th Feb 2004, 02:48
Twinact.....Well then, how does it, I've always wanted to know?

Runaway Gun
26th Feb 2004, 03:05
It's all to do with twin lobes affecting the needle pointer, confusing it so it points to three random positions each second, oscillations increasing between the head (or tail) with closing distance at a rate proprtional to the coanda effect allowing for the coriolis force. The music being played by the AM radio station is bound to be a hard rock choice by Slim Dusty or Dolly Parton. Ha, I knew I'd get back to twin lobes somehow...

WannaTry
26th Feb 2004, 07:15
OK gentlemen I'll bite.

Runaway, RTFQ

Are not you describing how the ADF works, not the NDB?

:=

keithl
26th Feb 2004, 17:18
No, WT, an NDB works by exploding underwater.