PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos in the USA

Captain Nomad
25th Feb 2004, 07:23
I know there are some ppruners over there in the states that have made a successful career move from Australia. I was just curious about the climate and whether the prospects really are better over there than in Oz? Could a roughly 1500hr Instrument rated flying instructor get a look in with a charter/regional/or freight type operation?

Thanks for any feedback and best wishes to those ozzie expats shivering while we enjoy another hot summer...!:D :ok:

weasil
28th Feb 2004, 00:01
Captain,
How much multi engine time do you have? Do you have a 4 year degree? If the answers are 1) at least 100 or so and 2) Yes, then you would probably be able to find a freight job. Companies like www.ameriflight.com are all over the country.

As for a Regional.. that depends. I've seen People get hired at Chicago Express (Saab 340's) with 400 hrs because they know somebody at the company or did an internship. But then recently one of my friends got hired at Continental Express with 1800hrs - most of which is multi IFR time - and he said he was one of the lowest time pilots at the interview. So it depends on the company you are applying to. As far as is it better than Australia - yes by a long way.... there are a lot more companies over here.

Weasil.

Captain Nomad
12th Mar 2004, 05:07
Thanks for the feedback Weasil.

Looks like a different kind of industry over there! To an outsider looking in such as myself the degree requirement seems a bit arbitrary - what bearing would it really have on one's ability to do the job? Anyway, no doubt it is a culling process for the company.

Safe flying!

weasil
12th Mar 2004, 19:32
Hi Captain,

I didn't mean to imply that a degree is a requirement - I work for US Airways and I haven't finished my bachelor's degree. It certainly helps though. Aside from being a culling tool, a lot of the degree programs in the US are very useful for future ATP's because they learn a lot of the stuff that usually has to be taught in Indoc and IOE, like sim training - several of the big schools here now have CRJ simulators. A few of my friends did internships at different airlines during their degree training where they got to sit through systems ground schools - this is all great experience, I only wish I had that opportunity.

There certainly are more jobs over here though than in Australia, but there are also more pilots. If you are willing to fly freight than there seem to be plenty of opportunities at the moment because the regionals are snatching up their pilots.

LanFranc
22nd Mar 2004, 15:26
Nomad,
I've been here over 20 years and there are loads more opportunities. The real problem is not the licence or getting the job, they can be overcome. Getting the authorization to work is the real hurdle. You have to get that green card.
Cheers,
Another wandering Roo

Tinstaafl
22nd Mar 2004, 21:10
And in less than two months time I'll be there too!