PDA

View Full Version : Playing media clips

Paracab
25th Feb 2004, 04:45
I am having trouble playing video clips despite having windows media player, RealOne player and others I can't recall right now.

Usually I get a message saying that the player I am using does not support the file or that the file is corrupt :uhoh:

A few friends have the same media software and are able to play clips that I am not (mainly from pprune I should add)

Can anyone help ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Feb 2004, 06:11
Paracab,

Without knowing which file it is and which codec was used, we would have better luck using a dart board to guess which codec is needed.

Try DivX (http://www.divx.com/). But that was what my dart board and magic eight ball suggested. :D

Take Care,

Richard

Globaliser
25th Feb 2004, 16:16
Sorry if this seems like a paranoid question, but is DivX safe and trouble free? I downloaded a codec installer from them to play something which I was told I needed it for, but it's huge and I'm suspicious about what else I might be installing (adware?) with the codec.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Feb 2004, 23:57
Globaliser,

There are reports DivX puts in spyware, but it is more benign than the malware out on the net.

Take Care,

Richard

Globaliser
26th Feb 2004, 02:46
Thanks, Richard. I think I might leave well alone then, unless and until I get something which I have to play.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Feb 2004, 02:49
Globaliser,

That is exactly what I do. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

goates
26th Feb 2004, 03:17
I haven't had any trouble with the free DivX codec, except trying to find it on the site. They really do try to push you to get one of the downloads that include "bonuses" and free software, or to pay, but they do have just the codec and player in there somewhere. I don't remember the file being more than a few MB's though. I have run Spybot and Adaware many times on my computer and haven't found anything yet that shouldn't be there.

ATI have a DivX player on their driver CD's for the recent Radeon cards (9500 and up I think), so that might help some people.

goates