PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook - Calendar issue

WHBM
25th Feb 2004, 00:20
OK, pretty off topic but this has defeated me, our Microsoft support guy and the Microsoft Help people (who didn't seem to understand the question). I'm Windows 2000.

In Outlook Calendar, if you go to enter a New Appointment it gives a default start time and end time. How do you change these defaults ? You must be able to because I've seen other people's calendars come up with different default values in there. Mine are 0900 and 0930, the latter being a nuisance, and I want to change the defaults to 0900 to 1730.

All help gratefully received.

Ridley
25th Feb 2004, 03:04
In outlook (main window, not new appointment window)
Click on Tools/Options
The under the preferences tab, you should see CALENDAR OPTIONS, click on that and you can change your defaults.

Ridley

WHBM
25th Feb 2004, 04:17
Ridley:

Thanks for your comments but that setting in Calendar Options is for the Start/End time of the Calendar work week, and the values are used to display the weekly calendar rather than set the default time of new appointments.

Mine was already set to 0900/1700.

The Nr Fairy
25th Feb 2004, 05:16
WHBM:

What the man says is right, at least for Outlook 2000 and probably a few older versions.

Tools -> Options -> Preferences tab -> Calendar then the "Advanced" button.

Ridley
25th Feb 2004, 05:29
I realized after I posted just what the limits of outlook are.

I did some research on trying to change the daily start and end defaults for outlook.

It's a nightmare thats all I can say.

They talk about being able to change fields permanently but only by designing a form based on the one you want to change (this creates a copy of the original message class) then making it activate as the default form. (which I couldn't find how to do)
or use a VB macro everytime a form is fired (started). All of which I played with, had too much trouble trying to get working, and gave up.

A bit of a nightmare really. Even things like changing the filtering, configuration settings, or any other settings I played with couldn't do it either.

This one is a good stumper.

Ridley

WHBM
25th Feb 2004, 18:13
Nrfairy:

Thank you for your advice, I don't have an "Advanced Options" button anywhere on Calendar Options so this must be a version difference.

Ridley:

Thank you for all your "fidgeting", hope you didn't waste too much time on it !

The problem manifests itself that my secretary puts in an all day meeting for me, maybe even travelling away, without paying attention to the finish time (!), so it goes in as 0900 to 0930, then someone else does an automatic Meeting Request which says I am free after 0930, then - well you can guess the rest, can't you, it's all my fault !!! So setting the default to all day will stop this happening.

The Nr Fairy
25th Feb 2004, 18:21
WHBM - check which version of Outlook you have. Help -> About, then let us know.

WHBM
25th Feb 2004, 20:43
Nr Fairy:

Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821) Corporate Workgroup