PDA

View Full Version : Xp & Dos

2lo4zero
24th Feb 2004, 19:03
Hi all!
Having a bit of a contres temps wth some friends and looking for a definitive answer if anyone can help.
I say that XP does not run using legacy DOS in any way shape or form BUT it does have a DOS emulation program, which runs from the Command Line.
Some friends reckon that DOS is, as it was on all previous platforms and despite what Sir Bill says, integral to the running of XP.

All views gratefully received :D

2lo

fobotcso
24th Feb 2004, 19:15
Hi back: suggest you start Here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/dos_cmds.asp)

Basically, you're correct. From Windows ME on, DOS has been a sub-system. So, you can run some of the useful DOS programs that you used to. But you quickly get the idea that there are two flavours to this when, working at the Command Prompt, the Paths and File Names revert to the old 8.3 character format.

This really adds to the interest. :*

I'm finding it less than easy to work across the Network at the Command Prompt in order to run scheduled batch files for synchronisation purposes. So if anyone has any ideas on this....:confused:

ORAC
24th Feb 2004, 19:18
XP is based upon Win NT, it is not DOS based. See here (http://www.newfangled.san-jose.ca.us/Hacking%20WinMe/WinXP%20and%20IE6/page2.html) for some background.

2lo4zero
24th Feb 2004, 20:11
I bow to the erudition of the learned gentlemen who replied and I thank them for doing so and posting the links. Its nice to feel vindicated! :cool:

2lo

Mac the Knife
25th Feb 2004, 01:08
What are you trying to do fobs? There are some interesting tricks one can get up to with batch files (love 'em 'cos I'm an old dosser..) and the XP implementation of batch language is surprisingly powerful.

fobotcso
25th Feb 2004, 02:09
Hi MtK, maybe you can help then.

Years ago (like you :D ) I used to use DOS batch files for regularly backing up files to Floppy Disks. Now I use tape across the Network for the daily backup and it's very successful with the "orlogix" descendant of Seagate>Veritas>Stomp BackupExecPro. :confused:

To cover all risks with this setup I have two machines with tape drives in case the Backup machine goes down. At least you can Restore with the second machine and continue the Backup schedule.

Files on tape are not readable directly of course and they are sequential so it may take 15 minutes to restore a single file. It would be nice to be able to read some of the backed-up data in plain language.

In particular, guess which are the most important files NOT backed up? The Backup catalogue files (because they're in use, of course).

So I want to write a scheduled xcopy routine so that after every backup, the catalogue files are copied to the second machine - in plain language. I also want to extend this to a few Folders of things like Outlook Express.

There's going to be a way, I know, and I'll get there but a hint or two to speed me up would be very welcome.

CS-DNA
26th Feb 2004, 09:22
fobotcso,

If you need to reference extended file names on the command prompt you just need to
enclose those on double quotes (").

Example:
you need to copy file a.txt on c:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\ (the desktop)
to some other directory (say d:\test directory)
just do:
copy "c:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\a.txt" "d:\test directory"
You can also use xcopy or any other command/executable with the double quoted path.

If you are in doubt of the path, you can use the file name completion features on the
command prompt. Just write the first few characters of the file/directory and press
the TAB key. This will complete the path while the path is unique.

For a test of file name completion open the command prompt, change to C: and write
"do" at the prompt, then press tab. This should complete to "Documents and Settings",
unless you have another file/directory that shares part of the name.

I hope this is clear enough.

Hope this helps.
CS-DNA

fobotcso
26th Feb 2004, 16:18
Thanks, CS-DNA. Didn't know that! Never heard of that in the old days.

Your tip will be useful later but this screen shot (taken from the computer called "Gillian") illustrates the difficulty I am having getting going with copying files across the Network.

http://www.fobotcso.co.uk/ScrShot01.jpg

Computers on the Network can be seen but not accessed. All Windows shares and permissions are normal but are not working in the Command Window.

ORAC
26th Feb 2004, 17:21
Try adding an LMHOSTS file or edit the Hosts file (system32\drivers\etc\hosts), to include the IP addresses and names of the other machines.

fobotcso
26th Feb 2004, 17:55
Thanks ORAC, but I got there just now through a different route. And I'm not sure that the Hosts solution would work where IP addresses are dished out by the DHCP Server which is my ADSL Router.

The step I was missing out was Mapping the Drives of the other computers to a drive letter on the "Server" where I am backing up the data. (Quotes on "Server" as this is a P2P LAN).

So I'm off and running now and will just need to restore the mapped drives every time the Network is switched on.

Mapping drives is a process I've never found the need of in the past. But once it is done, the "Client" drives appear as additional drives on the "Server" and can be dealt with as though they are physically there.

Thanks again for thinking about this for me.

ORAC
26th Feb 2004, 18:36
I've got DHCP active on my router, but only for my laptop and any other guest machines. But for my server, print server, main PC, access points etc

I've given them static addresses. That way I don't have to remap the paths for things like my SlimP3, Neuston Virtuouso, iTunes each time I reboot anything. I find it a lot simpler in the long run.

CS-DNA
28th Feb 2004, 08:43
fobotcso,

You can also map drives to other computer's shares on the
command line.

Try:
"net use z: \\computer_name\share /persistent:no"

Substitute "computer_name" and "share" for the relevant
data.
The "/persistent:no" option is there to make sure that
the mapping is NOT persistent.
Why do you want the mappings NOT to be persistent ?
If you have a mapped share to a computer which isn't
connected, you may experience a slowdown on start up,
due to the fact that the computer will retry to connect
to the share that isn't available.
This can be quite annoying.

When you don't need the mapping any more, just do
"net use z: /delete" And it will go away.

This is rather easy to implement on a batch file:

example.bat:

@echo mapping drive z: to \\computer_name\share
net use z: \\computer_name\share
rem do your processing bellow this line

dir z:\

@echo unmapping drive z:
net use z: /delete
rem end example.bat

(I cant test the batch file, but I believe it's mostly correct)

You can chose any drive letter for the mapping, but be
careful not to chose a letter already in use.
Starting with z: is a good choice.
Also check the active mappings with "net use",
this will display active mappings with shares and
drive letters.

For command reference see:
"net help use"
"net help"

Hope this helps
CS-DNA

fobotcso
28th Feb 2004, 16:26
CS-DNA, interesting. Thanks

ratsarrse
3rd Mar 2004, 02:34
Are you using BackupExec? Which version? Later versions have OFO (Open File Option) which lets you backup up files in use. Just a thought...

fobotcso
3rd Mar 2004, 03:27
Backup Exec Pro Ver 4.85 still showing "Powered by Veritas" but actually marketed by "orlogix" in UK. The "Pro" version works well across the LAN provided that the Workstations have had time to find each other and map the shares.

My sticking point was not with Backup Exec but with Command Line batch files. All now sorted using "mapping" but there will be another stage using ORAC's suggestion.