PDA

View Full Version : Fragmented files.

maggioneato
24th Feb 2004, 06:01
When I try to run the disk defragmenter, I get the defragment has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in tha file system, and to run the CHKDSK or SCANDISK to repair these inconsistencies then run the defragmenter again. It does'nt matter how many times I run the scandisc, it comes up with the same conclusion. Everything seems to be working ok, am I just looking for trouble, can it be ignored. It shows 89% free space. :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Feb 2004, 11:13
maggioneato,

When you run Defrag, also disable your screensaver and antivirus program.

You can use the Run Command to run msconfig to see what processes are loading when you start.

Programs running in the background have been known to stop defrag from running.

Take Care,

Richard

maggioneato
24th Feb 2004, 20:57
Thanks Richard, I have tried disabling the screensaver and anti virus, it still aborted. With msconfig there appears to be over 50 items running, also a lot stopped. I don't know what most of them do. Do you reckon if I disable all those items, it might do the trick.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Feb 2004, 21:07
maggioneato,

You can kill pretty much everything short of systray and explorer so that you can run defrag. Your best way to disable all the programs currently running would the to do CTRL + ALT + DEL and end task.

Take Care,

Richard

E-Liam
25th Feb 2004, 01:25
Hi Maggioneato,

Have you tried running Scandisk and Defrag in safe mode? It's a lot quicker and negates having to go through msconfig, as you only have system essentials running at startup in safe mode. For info on how to start in safe mode, see here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406) .

This is a problem that needs to be fixed, because it is meant to work, but in the future,I'd definitely recommend getting Diskeeper Lite (http://www.webattack.com/get/dkeeperlite.shtml). The free version is fine, you just have to start the run on each partition one ata time. It takes a fraction of the time to run, but you still get the pretty screen with all the clusters being checked.. :) I'm a geek, what else would you expect.. :D

Cheers

Liam

maggioneato
25th Feb 2004, 15:37
Thanks Richard and E-Liam, it still does'nt want to co-operate, analyze aborts at 40%, I have never heard of safe mode, so will go down that route. A geek is just what I need with my limited knowledge, amazing the amount of information to be found on here. :D

the wizard of auz
25th Feb 2004, 16:02
I had the same problem with defrag because I had several bad sectors on the disk. took a while but I eventually identified them and marked them as bad sectors, then scandisk remarked them and away we went with the defrag. all normal afterwards.
bought a "flash as" new laptop and gave the other unit to the kids and it died shortly afterwards.

maggioneato
25th Feb 2004, 17:07
Looks like I have problems, it still aborts in safe mode. I had McAfee Quick Clean installed but uninstalled it a few days ago in case it was conflicting with the defrag. I have downloaded the Diskeeper lite but not lnstalled it yet.
wizard of auz, how did you identify and mark the bad sectors, hope my PC is'nt going to die, it's only15 months old. :(

maggioneato
25th Feb 2004, 23:36
Phew, don't know what I did, defrag now ok, showing 0 bad sectors. Thanks again. Have found another problem. I'll be back.
:E

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Feb 2004, 00:26
maggioneato,

That is great news. I am glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard