PDA

View Full Version : AIPA .... cutting the angry mob off at the pass....

blueloo
24th Feb 2004, 03:51
In light of a ralleying of the troops on Qrewroom - getting 26 members to stand up for an SGM, have AIPA now cut off the angry mob (and I think rightly angry) from organising an SGM by a series of meetings/seminars (I WOULD ASSUME NOW THAT THE SGM RULES NO LONGER APPLY AND THEREFORE NO BINDING VOTES or RESOLUTIONS CAN BE CAST) ? :uhoh:

Is this just a slick move, or is there really a change of heart from AIPA in that they now want to actually represent the fee paying members (especially those fee paying members who turned up to the SGM last year)

Does anyone have any info on this or have the ability to reveal the details off the secret sneaky sneaky AIPA ?

:} :mad:

Just as a suggestion to counter the pre-emptive strike by AIPA in organising the meetings, can someone come prepared to the seminars with forms to regain another 25 or so signatures to RE "re-organise" an SGM

bonvol
24th Feb 2004, 04:15
The troops are mighty unhappy because AIPA didn't do what they were told to do last year.

The outcome of that SGM was clear, yet they disregarded it, ostensibly because the deal was the "best" they could do to get the coveted seat at the table.

When the going got tough at the said table why didn't they (in light of the strong member direction) simply say, "We need to go back to the members on this one" and leave the table! It was a pretty shaky table, no legs, termites and a few one legged chairs.

At least 11 COM members did the right thing and now the whole sorry mess needs cleaning up.

The briefings will be, shall we say, interesting.

The "good" news is that AIPA has secured the Sofitel in Melbourne for crews. Some offset was involved though (the members don't know "officially" what it was??) and one must ask is this a good precedent to set, along with selling leave et al?

Just to stay in a nice pub needs offsets?? Why, next thing we will be paying for endorsements :eek:

blueloo
24th Feb 2004, 04:26
...Bonvol...I would assume though that the AIPA comm is buying time by putting the briefings on? It effectively means the members can't cast a binding to vote to a) force comm members to resign or b) find out who voted which way in the secret ballot or c) show some guts and stand up for the members- and vote the way they should have based on the last SGM...
(amongst the multitude of issues etc)

As i see it, we still need to organise an SGM so that we have voting power.......not just be participants in a briefing which will be no doubt full of false and never to be filled promises.

The rumour I heard for Sofitel Trade off, was the cost differential between the rooms of Hilton @ $2 more per person. So I think what has been put forward is that we pay $2 from our allowance each time we stay there........

$2 is No big deal I guess - but where do we draw the line - are we eventually going to pay for our accomodation every time the company decides to put us up in a reduced standard hotel.....?

Of course this last part is only a rumour........ so if anyone has the facts do tell....cause the Union isnt.

wayne_king
24th Feb 2004, 05:06
Bonvol and co,
the problem for you guys is that out of 2200 members on the two posts about AIPA that you have going on this chat room only a handful seem to be bothered to support your position.

Now there may be others who have the same sentiments but just can't be bothered to write anything, and I can understand that. However, what you need to consider is if they need to take industrial action to achieve the hard line stance you propose will those same people who can't be bothered saying anything be bothered to stick their necks out? And by stick their necks out, I mean that will be the perception of taking industrial action, whether or not you are taking a risk, people will think it's a risk and that will influence their choice to help the cause.

You see, conviction is often a luxury of those on the sideline, ranting in the crewroom or blustering on the flight deck, basically anywhere in relative privacy, but when you put them in the spotlight, across the table from the Company, half the people you rely on will crumble.

I don't believe the AIPA reps have or will crumble. What they are probably unsure of and reluctant to test is the conviction of their members to stand up and be counted. Now getting 700 to an SGM is impressive and does allow AIPA to negotiate with the company with both parties knowing the membership is interested and watching. What it does not tell you is will all of the 50 year old-plus long haul captains support any action, which can only be taken in a protected period anyway, or will they simply not give a hoot? Using this particular group is just an example but it relevant to the group at large, because if you are going to threaten the company then you had better make sure you can achieve your threat or you will be finished.

So, negotiate the best deal possible and if, at the end of the day, it is so bad that it cannot be tolerated then you go back and tell troops the story and see what they say. But everyone needs to be aware of the risks and aware of the committment they must make, because to embark on the path you suggest means there are no half measures, once you start you see it through, or you'll come out alot worse. Nonetheless, the end of the day is not here yet, it's just late afternoon, and there's plently to still be done before it gets dark.

I for one know that if everyone sticks together we will acieve a far better outcome and get exactly what we want, but getting 2200 to stick together isn't easy and anyone who thinks differently is niave and historically ignorant. And if you think the rants of even 10% gives you a mandate and the support to go ape you're a fool, and will be dealt with as such.

Ushuaia
24th Feb 2004, 05:09
The rumour floating around is that it's teh Home Study Allowance or something (?) that's been traded for the hotel. Apparently a bit more than $2 a head.... Doesn't affect S/H blokes but what a great precedent to set. :( And I'm just not goingto even start on the Jetstar deal in this forum. Hopefully I can get to the Melbourne briefing...

blueloo
24th Feb 2004, 05:19
Industrial action doesnt have to be hard line industrial action, in fact, all it may need to be is a threat of industrial action with appropriate supporting documentation that it has the means to be carried out...

There are ways and means, one just has to be clever.

bonvol
24th Feb 2004, 06:04
I think you are on the money blueloo. I also think we will still need the SGM as quite likely the spin meter will be set to max at the briefings. We will see though.

What Wayne says has a lot of truth to it too. Maximising the unity and minimising the apathy will not be easy and may be impossible.

You just have to look at the "sympathy" quite a few of the 74 drivers have for those on the 76. "Well, they bidded for it" would just about sum it up.