PDA

View Full Version : Broadband problem.

TURIN
24th Feb 2004, 02:50
My Dad has just moved on to broadband and has had no end of trouble with it.

Specifically, he cannot now access/log on to his MSN groups.

Any ideas?

:confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Feb 2004, 11:00
TURIN,

Did your father use MSN as his ISP before he changed to broadband? (It could be the groups he wants to use require logging in though the MSN ISP.)

Take Care,

Richard

TURIN
26th Feb 2004, 18:53
Thanks for the reply R.

This is a full rundown of the problem.

I up graded to ADSL on 28th January 2004 with Freedom2surf, the same ISP I have used for several years on dial up.

Since going on broadband I can no longer gain access to a chatroom on http://groups.msn.com Where I get the message ‘Networking problems are preventing you from connecting to the chat service. Please try again later.’

I can connect to the chat service via dial-up however.

MSN’s solution was to clear cache/delete your cookies and remove/reinstall the MSN Chat Control.

This I have done to no avail.

Freedom2surf suggested it may be the modem/router firewall preventing access, but supplied no information as to how to rectify this.

My son has spent about four or five hours trying to sort this out but he too is now baffled.

My operating system is Windows XP

ISP is Freedom2surf.

Modem/router is US Robotics SureConnect ADSL Ethernet/USB Router model number 9003.

Any help would be appreciated.

Turin's Dad :confused: :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Feb 2004, 02:09
TURIN,

I tried MSN's Group Help Menu and it does not list any information for Routers or Firewalls.

If you can log in on that computer with Dialup, but cannot log in on the same computer while using Broadband, one of two things is going on:

You have the Internet Connection Firewall Turned on for your Boardband Connection on that computer

There is a problem with Freedom2surf's connection to MSN, something that has nothing to do with your computer.

Try setting in the USR Router the IP Address for your computer to put the computer in the Router's DMZ. That will eliminate the Router as the problem.

Take Care,

Richard