PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy a new computer?

zero-lash valve lifter
24th Feb 2004, 01:38
Hello
I have a Gateway 2000 computer with an Intel MMX inside, is there any way I can run Flight Sim 2002 professional? I have installed it but the movements are very jerky. Is it a case of the computer not being able to handle this programme?

We are considering 2 options.
1/. Is it worth trying to upgrade the computer by adding bits to it
2/. Buying a new computer (just the box since the Monitor, printer and scanner are all ok). If it is to be a new computer which is it to be? The price whilst important is not so important that the simulation suffers as a consequence.

Thanks
:ok:

Saab Dastard
24th Feb 2004, 04:52
zero-lash valve lifter,

What spec. is your current PC? Pentium with MMX is (IIRC) probably a PII, perhaps up to 300 MHz?

The MS site for FS 2002 has the following MINIMUM system requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP

300 MHz equivalent or higher processor

64 MB of system RAM

650 MB of available hard disk space; additional 100MB for swap file

4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive

8 MB 3D graphics card

plus sound card etc.

That is to just barely run it (which is where you are at!)

For decent performance, I would suggest that you multiply all these figures by 8!

i.e. 2.4 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 32 x CD-ROM and 64MB AGP8 graphics.

That may seem a lot, but it is pretty standard stuff now. If buying a new PC, choose a budget and stick to it, but try and get the most bang for your buck. I have seen some really good offers on the Dell outlet store (I don't work for Dell, honest BRL!) Dell Outlet store (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?s=dfo&l=en&c=uk)

Get hold of a few PC mags - e.g. Personal Computer World (I don't work for them, I just read it, BRL!) - and read the reviews and group tests to give you some basis for comparison, not to speak of loads of manufacturers websites to visit!

The higher the spec. you can get now, the longer it will be before you have to replace it - as well as running FS 2002 pretty well!

Don't even think about upgrading - the only thing you might keep would be the case - and only then if you can get a new mobo in the right form factor. You will pay far more upgrading than just buying new.

You may find that your current monitor won't support the resolution, colour depth and refresh rate that a good graphics card can provide - 1280 x 1024, 32 bit colour @ 85Hz is my favorite for a CRT. For the smoothest display of fast moving objects, CRT is still better than flat screen, as the screen updates faster. If you have a decent monitor, stick with it. If not, good 17" CRT displays are very cheap now - but 19" is better!

As long as your printer can handle the output from your current apps, stick with it - I have found that versions of Office from about 97 on were just too much for my venerable Epson Laser Printer with only 1 MB RAM - 4MB is probably the minimum to support Windows printing now. I've not come across a printer yet that I couldn't find a Windows driver for, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can get the card for your scanner (I assume at that vintage it's SCSI, not USB or Parallel) to work in a new PC (not a chance if it's an ISA card) and you can get the drivers for the card and the scanner then stick with it - or maybe you can get a replacment SCSI card.

HTH

SD

goates
24th Feb 2004, 05:37
From my own experience and articles I have read, most flight sims push the processor more than the video card, unlike many of the new games. Thus you could save a little on a video card, and put the money into a faster processor and RAM. Some of the scenery add-ons also recommend more than 512 MB of RAM, so you should look at what you will be doing with the fight sim too. Check out FlightSim.com (http://www.flightsim.com) and AvSim.com (http://www.avsim.com), they'll probably have more info about what a good system for flight simming would be.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Feb 2004, 11:09
zero-lash valve lifter,

If you give us a price range, we could point you in the direction of a comp that will meet your needs for both your wallet and performance requirements.

Take Care,

Richard

zero-lash valve lifter
24th Feb 2004, 18:59
Thank you for the replies. It seems that a new computer is the way to go. I was thinking of spending up to £700. Hopefully I can get away with my existing HP Deskjet 870Cxi printer and HP ScanJet 5p scanner on a new machine? I understand that I could get a decent monitor as part of a new package and thus dispense with the old one.

Any replys very helpful

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Feb 2004, 20:19
zero-lash valve lifter,

From the Mesh Computer Website (http://www.meshcomputers.com):

Matrix A Power BTO (Apr04)

Case: MESH ATX MidiTower +350W PSU - Black (new style)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nVIDIA nFORCE2 with 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Motherboard Features: 2x (1394 Firewire, Serial ATA, 10/100 LAN) & S/PDIF
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (TM) 3000+ with Quantispeed Technology
Memory: 512Mb PC3200 DDR Memory 400MHz
Hard Drives: Upgrade to 120GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast Hard Drive at £20
Video Card: Upgrade to 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT - TV Out + DVI at £85
Optical Drives: Upgrade to 48x24x48x16 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive at £15
Sound: Onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Modem: 56kbps V92 Modem, featuring data and fax.
Keyboard & Mouse: Upgrade to Logitech Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse at £39
Warranty: 3 Years - Parts & Labour - Back-to-Base Warranty (Mainland UK only - Terms Apply)
Delivery: Insured Del within Mainland UK (+ £39) at £39

Price Excluding VAT: £ 597

Price Including VAT + DEL: £ 701.48
(You can see where I tossed in some upgrades.)

I did not put in a monitor. We can add one if you like. They have a nice 19'' CRT Mitsubishi DPRO 930 but I thought £249 was a lot for a 19" CRT.

I did not know if you wanted speakers too. With the Dolby Digital SoundStorm, you might want a good set of 5.1 Speakers since you can watch movies on that computer as well as fly a Flight Sim. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
25th Feb 2004, 00:59
Don't chuck the old PC out. Keep it as a spare and use it as a hardware firewall/router for your main machine. FreeSCO http://www.freesco.org/ will run from a floppy and won't touch the old machine's setup.

Saab Dastard
25th Feb 2004, 20:12
zero-lash valve lifter

Your scanner is a SCSI interface, as I thought. The SCSI card is ISA, which will not work in a new PC.

You should be able to use it by buying a PCI SCSI adapter for your new PC.

Refer to the HP website Here (http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/taskPageSelect.jhtml?reg=&plc=en&lc=en&cc=gb&prodId=sj5ppc&pagetype=prodinfo&docparent=prodinfo) for support details and to check that you can get drivers for WinXP or 2000.

The same website will be able to give you more information on your printer, but I can see no reason why you can't use it. Try it, and if it's up to the job that's fine.

SD

ratsarrse
3rd Mar 2004, 02:52
I wouldn't bother putting too much effort into trying to get your old printer to work - they're pretty cheap these days. The ink cartridges cost more than some printers!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Mar 2004, 06:31
ratsarrse,

The ink for printers is, ounce per ounce, many, many, many, times more expensive than the world's best champagne. :eek:

Take Care,

Richard

Stick Flying
7th Mar 2004, 19:29
Well hell.

I know which one I would go for then.