PDA

View Full Version : Nav exam nightmare!!!

Foz2
24th Feb 2004, 00:42
Hi,

Ive just bombed out on the PPL nav exam (68%) all because I keep getting certain numbers mixed up ( variation/ drift etc) I seem to add them when I should subtract and just generally get the sums the wrong way round.

I am aiming for an airline career and I guess Im just looking for some reassurance that Im not the only one who has failed a PPL exam on the way to an airline career. I have heard people say that the PPL exams are easy - which worries me slightly for the ATPL's. I have passed Air Law and Met (both in the 90's). I guess this has just really dented my confidence. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Foz.

dogbeer
24th Feb 2004, 00:49
A couple of guys in my PPL-class failed one or two exams (including nav) the first sitting. They later went on to the ATPL-theory course fulltime and passed all exams there in the first sitting.
As for myself I had a 43% on the first PPL principles of flight due to mixing up terms. Now when thats passed and behind me, it does not seem like a big deal and I'm not gonna let that stop me from taking the fATPL in a future.
Not much but I hoped it helped a little bit...

SpeedBird 001
24th Feb 2004, 01:21
Hey Foz,

I have only had my PPL for 8 months or so and have been exactly where you are now. Worse even. I made ultra silly mistakes in the exam and failed the NAV twice. I kid you not I scored 72.5% on them both. Ask 'angels 25' - she was the one who tore me across the coals :ugh: - but in a nice way :cool:

I really thought it was a trip to the big house for me to sit my fourth sitting but that wasn't the case. Nailed it third attempt. Anyway, I kept messing up on the bloody wizzy-wheel and made the simple mistake of mis-reading U.S or imperial gallons as the answer and the exam paper was there to catch me on it too. It just knew I would jump at the nearest answer on the paper. Reading specific gravity wrong and the rest of it seemed to be a habit for me. There are a whole load of things people could preach to you about how to get through the exam. But you gotta find out the best method for you. My advice is to sit down and learn why your doing what you are doing. Don't just sit there and follow the manual. "Wind, Drift, east is least, oh no east is best, no no it's definately least" ect. Try and get a feel for why easterly variation will give you a decreased compass heading (don't shoot me down on this people - I'm just picking an example!!!). My friend was the same when it came to the technical part. He knows sod all about engines. His exact words were "when the prop stops at least I know my mayday call!!" But thats not the point. If the prop stops, you gotta think quick and get the airplane trimmed and start assessing the situation. The more you know the better chance you will have. You should know why your getting the nose down and why your checking to make sure the primer is in and locked. I'm not preaching, just trying to set up a situation. Someone who flies through the restart checks because it's what you have to do could miss something. It's the same with NAV. If you just rip through the questions coz you've seen one similar in the example questions you are sure to get caught out on silly things. I know it's going on a bit but I know exactly how you feel. But if all else fails. Ask. I'm sure there are instructors where you are that'll happily give you advice. And if not - move;)

As for the ATPL's be under no illusion they are monsters. I've only just enrolled and have been wading through the notes but not affraid. Just gonna take things one step at atime and get a real base of knowledge that'll help me in the exams. After all that my point is to take it easy, don't work yourself up. Read the questions and get a feel for what it is asking - don't develop an answer till you've read the whole question. You never know. The rate I'm going I'll probaly see you in bristol next year!!!!! (If you go there that is)

All the best
Birdseed :ok

Foz2
24th Feb 2004, 02:33
Thanks guys

Speed bird, thanks for that reply, I think the problem is that I try to work things through in my head as a sort of gross error check after I have done the question and get totally lost and then my head goes blank!

I am going to Bristol GS by the way - hopefully be starting in the next month or so (PPL permitting!!) Might bump into you on their forum!!

Cheers

Foz.

High Wing Drifter
24th Feb 2004, 03:38
Foz,

Honestly, don't dwell on it, just get the stuff striaght in your head and then go go go! :D

Much of the G Nav stuff is much like 'O' level maths (showing my age!). The learning process is pretty similar too (IMHO). Just do heaps and heaps of questions on the tricky ******s and before you know it you will be slicker than a Dow Jones trader (this applies to the ATPL too). A tedious and inefficient process but very effective.

FWIW I initially found getting my head around variation, deviation, etc the tough nut. You think you got it sorted and then out of the blue you're confused again! The answers are so stupidly simple it makes you feel the only reason you want to get into flying is so that you can jump out at a great height.

You're not alone. Oh and BTW, Bristol are a fabulous Ground School. I turned up at the Brush-up course struggling and passed all the exams with a very respectable set of results (even if I do say so myself). You simply cannot go wrong with them...sh*t loads of work though (and I mean loads!!).

Best of luck!
HWD.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
24th Feb 2004, 05:49
Sound advice from Birdseed and HWD.

No one likes to fail an exam, however, don't get your self in a flap about it. As HWD states, with regard to NAV, the more you do, the slicker you get. When I took the ATPL NAV exam, about 70% of the exam was making good use of your CRP-5. By the time you have finished your groundschool, you will be the master of the CRP-5, and be able to solve any problem thrown at you. The bloody thing will be smoking in the exam.

With regard to things like Variation, Deviation, Track, Heading and drift etc, keep everything in simple logic. Draw a pictute if you have to. When given a set of variables and asked to find compass heading, true track etc, construct a little table that you can put all the variables into and use the logic.

Good luck, and don't worry about the ATPL's, if you put the work in and stick at it you will be fine :D.

Jinkster
24th Feb 2004, 06:34
Nav:

Cadburys Diary Milk Very Tasty

Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True

ok. going from compass to magnetic if deviation is W then you minus the drift. If its a E then you add. same goes for going from magnetic to true.

HOWEVER - if going form true to magnetic variation is W then you + if E then you -

Put CDMVT on a piece of paper

C D M V T
<---------------- E = - W = +

------------------> E = + W = -

Learn this and all will be tickety boo :ok:

Jinkster

Foz2
25th Feb 2004, 00:08
Thanks for all your help,

Just to say that I tried again today and managed to get 92% which i was rather pleased about!!!

Cheers again

Foz

PFO
25th Feb 2004, 02:19
Get yourself a copy of the "PPL Confuser" - very good for practice questions.

PFO

High Wing Drifter
25th Feb 2004, 04:21
Nice one Foz!
:ok: