PDA

View Full Version : 'Code Red' virus

Wedge
31st Jul 2001, 04:08
This is not a wind up - as you may have heard this virus is due to explode on Wednesday and it may bring some major websites down. The FBI today held a press conference with Microsoft to warn businesses that their websites could be brought down - some are predicting it will 'bring the internet to a standstill'.

Apparently it is not a threat to home users.

TR4A
31st Jul 2001, 04:39
It effects windows nt & 2000 users. Not Win 95,98 or ME.

Kermit 180
31st Jul 2001, 11:36
Wot kind of low life sicko git makes these viruses up? Havent they got a bloody job??

Kermie :mad:

swashplate
31st Jul 2001, 16:06
Kermit:

Maybe they used to work for a dot-com...... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FlyingForFun
31st Jul 2001, 16:18
I believe there are two kinds of people who write viruses:

The first are students. When I was at school, a guy in the year above me wrote a virus. He didn't put a payload in it (that means it spread itself around, but never did any damage), but it would have been very easy to do so. Why did he do it? He was bored! Computer geeks don't have many friends, so they don't have too many other things to do during lunchbreaks at school. (Ask me how I know! :D ) (Fortunately, his virus would only affect Archimedes computers, which were never very popular, despite being one of the best desktop computers around at the time from a purely technical point of view, and hence were very short-lived.)

The second kind of person that writes viruses is the same people that write anti-virus software! No, I can't prove it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all! The only reason these guys stay in business is because new viruses keep appearing, so you and I have to keep buying updates to their software. If no new viruses appeared, they'd go out of business.

Yours cynically,

FFF
-----------

LatviaCalling
31st Jul 2001, 22:37
Let's get this straight. "Code Red" affects servers, but not PCs? Right? Today I tried to download the Miscrosoft buffer offered, but during the download it told me that I didn't need it. I have Windows 98 and Word 2000. Maybe not right forum, but maybe someone has an answer before all hell breaks loose.

(edited for typo)

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: LatviaCalling ]

Tartan Gannet
1st Aug 2001, 10:37
I am very suspicious about all this.

Yes, being taught to be cautious I have AVG anti virus software and have downloaded the MS patch against Code Red but two thoughts occur.

Firstly, I too wonder if a lot of viruses are harmless but produced to sell antivirus software. What a way to make certain money, unleash the problem then sell the cure. I make no apology, I AM a cynic!

Secondly, and more worrying. "The Boy who cried wolf". Recently there was the scare where people, myself included, deleted a perfectly harmless and indeed useful system file, (since restored), after receiving a spurious warning and instructions on how to "detect" the suspect file. Of course it was discovered, its a standard part of Windows, and deleted. Now if you like this was an "indirect" virus as no program affected computers but users were induced to delete a file by this false warning. It could well be the same with Code Red. Now comes the pay off. In a month or so let's say a new virus is publicised, we'll call it "Prune Juice". Lots of publicity. By now a cynical populace say, "yea, yea, another hoax and ignore it" then comes the double whammy. This one IS real and very destructive indeed, lies dormant for a while then corrupts the file systems etc on the HDD. Users would have been bambozzled by all the false warnings and ignore the REAL one when it comes along.

Personally, I would treat virus creators as vandals and prosecute them, with custodial sentences for the worst offenders. I see no difference between a little scrote who breaks into and trashes a house or office and one who trashes computer systems.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Aug 2001, 10:42
Interesting to hear all over the news networks that the Code Red Worm seems to have been a bit of a non-event - so far!

:(

The Nr Fairy
2nd Aug 2001, 00:57
As far as I understand, Code Red affects only the IIS ( web server bit ) on Windows NT and Windows 2000 systems. If an available patch is applied, no infection is possible.

It's technically a worm - it spreads by exploiting holes autonomously and requires no human intervention ( double clicking on an email attachment or the like ).

I suspect the reason it didn't affect too many systems is because they were patched already. Anyone remember the hullabaloo 18 months ago when the Y2K bug didn't cause havoc - because people had been working for years to make that the case.

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: The Nr Fairy ]

Wedge
2nd Aug 2001, 01:04
Actually Nr Fairy I don't think Y2K ever really existed. Was just an IT invention which by coincidence earned the IT industry billions! Funny that isn't it! ;)

The Nr Fairy
2nd Aug 2001, 14:50
Wedge :

Cynic !!

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: The Nr Fairy ]

FlyingForFun
2nd Aug 2001, 16:37
Wedge may be a cynic, but he's not all that wrong!

I saw (and even worked on) several systems which couldn't be certified as Y2K compliant for such stupid things as showing the current date as "1900" instead of "2000" at the bottom of some screen which was never used.

And every single one of the tools on the market for detecting Y2K issues was a joke! They missed some subtle but important errors, while highlighting huge numbers of non-errors causing certain people in my company to panic. These tools served no purpose at all except to make the software houses lots of money.

My uncle's shop did no Y2K preparation at all. On the first day they opened after New Year, my uncle phoned me to say the computer wasn't working. He described the symptoms to me and I said it sounded like a Y2K issue. After contacting his software supplier and being quoted several thousand pounds for an upgrade, I told him to put the system clock back on his computer - as far as I know, they're still using the same non-Y2K compliant software now.

Wedge, you're pretty close to the truth, mate!

FFF
----------

tony draper
2nd Aug 2001, 17:33
Wasn't just computers users that were conned I changed hundreds of time lapse VCR's on banks and building society security systems, for new ones with upgraded timer modules,and believe me a time lapse VCR is not a cheap item, still got a couple of the unmoded ones at home chugging away quite happily, showing correct time and date. :(

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

The Nr Fairy
2nd Aug 2001, 22:00
Seems it might be taking off, check this link out :

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/08/02/ncode02.xml

PaperTiger
2nd Aug 2001, 22:21
Wedge
The Y2K thing was real, but the number of date-critical systems which needed to be fixed was comparatively small. And most had been addressed years before anyway. Which is not to say that a lot of money wasn't made on spurious upgrades and cosmetic changes sold to gullible users.
BTW, I flew out of St Louis last week, and the United TV monitors still show the year as 101.

Oi ! Who turned off my UBB code, and how do I get it back ? :(

[ 02 August 2001: Message edited by: PaperTiger ]

RW-1
3rd Aug 2001, 02:09
Tiring,

One should stick to biologicals ....

I released a nasty virus at work last week, and people are still sneezing :D

Hehehe.