View Full Version : working in oz

c.r.m what is it
23rd Feb 2004, 19:28
Any lovely aussie girls out there, want to marry an english guy and give him the chance to come out and fly in oz, i am so fed up with flying here, and need a change!!!! go on give it a try!!!

redsnail
24th Feb 2004, 09:08
c.r.m.,
How about trying to emigrate on your own merits? it isn't as hard as people make out. You just have to be able to play the game and suss out what the Immigration dept wants. (ie, look at the other list that has the desired skills on it, not the one that just lists the points)
You may be sick of the flying in the UK but ask yourself this, why are so many Australians and New Zealanders in the UK flying?
Any way, good luck with it all. Shifting countries isn't for the faint hearted. :ok:

ozskipper
24th Feb 2004, 09:36
Agree with Redsnail - have a look at the points system, its quite easy to use and will give you an indication of whether you would be accepted under the planned migration scheme.

If that doesn't yield any success and depending on how desperate you are you may wish to broaden your request for the hand of marriage to include boys also ;) Australia has been accepting same sex migration requests for some time now! That would be true CRM! hehehe :p :E

exmax
24th Feb 2004, 12:37
Hi guys, here's my few $'s worth and I hope it helps.

Trying to emigrate to Oz through partner migration isn't as easy as one thinks it is, you have to prove to immigration that you've been living with your partner for 12months and provide an endless supply of documentation/proof. I know this because my brother has been through the process with his fiancee and I'll be doing exactly the same thing in a few months time. I am in a relationship, was long distance for well over 18months and we still have to go through the immigration stuff, even though we've now been living together for nearly 6months in addtion.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au for info on migration to Australia.

As redsnail correctly points out, competition for flying jobs as cabin crew is really fierce which is why a lot of Kiwis and Aussies go outside of their home country. I say that from observation. The way I see it, is flying is flying wherever you're based, the only difference is pay/conditions etc. You have to ask yourself, why are you fed of flying in the UK and why do you think it'd be better here? I'm ex crew, did it for a few years, am English and have learnt to accept that something else in the travel industry is ok, that is to say, it depends on how desperately you want to continue flying. If you do, I'd say stay where you are or when you get here, you'll find that, without permanent residency, you can forget about flying as crew til you get and a long wait!!! I'm going through the whole thing so I can only give opinions based on personal experience.

Good luck and happy flying.
Exmax

ozskipper
24th Feb 2004, 15:25
Sorry, I have been quite flippant really....

The information above is quite accurate - it is incredibly onerous to substantiate that you have a legitimate and substantive relationship. Marriage doesn't instantly provide residency, however becoming engaged will usually get you into the country - however you have marry shortly there after.

Anyway, given that immigration law is an area I have spent far too much time in if you need any further info then pm me.

AIRWAY
24th Feb 2004, 21:30
Dont we all want to work in Oz! Nice beaches, nice weather ( i do strongly believe weather affects how people behave :} ), the scenary, the sheilas :}, i cant ask for more...

Like some of you i do have a desire to fly in Oz too ( pilot ) , doing some charter work or flight instruction for me it would be a great experience.

I cant talk too much because im guilty too, innit reddo :O

exmax
25th Feb 2004, 11:36
I'm intrigued to know how much you know about immigration ozskipper, have I missed anything out?:D I'm applying for a specific visa in a few months time.

Anyway, for the guys who want to live and work in Oz, if you're still interested in working here, save some money because migration is an expensive business. I'd also like to mention that even when you arrive here, opportunities within aviation are not as plentiful as they are back home (esp for cabin crew), so perhaps consider doing something else in the interim.

Exmax:ok:

ozskipper
25th Feb 2004, 16:36
I know quite a bit - from a number of angles... Gimme a pvt if you want more info - you may have quite a bit of info already I suspect, but feel free to ask.