PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GNS430

Grivation
23rd Feb 2004, 18:02
A quick one for you avionics techs - IFR flight into CTA requires the aircraft to be fitted with 2 x nav systems (one must be ADF or VOR).

Q - If I have a GNS430 or similar with combined GPS/Nav can I get away with only having one unit installed?

sancho
24th Feb 2004, 14:52
Not sure. I fly an aircraft fitted with the GNS530 and a GNS430.
The 530 is coupled to the HSI and that can display either VOR/ILS or GPS tracking info, but maybe you need another indicator to satisfy the requirements. The GNS530/430 has a CDI display on the screen for the GPS though. What about an equipment failure? As the VOR and GPS are in the one unit if it packs it in you may be stuck without any navaids!

NOtimTAMs
24th Feb 2004, 18:08
Looking at AIP ENR 1.5-4 and 1.5-5, I can see where your question is coming from. It does not specify that these should be independent units. It's quite easy to set up the GNS430 and an indicator to track the VOR and display distance to aid using the GPS which would appear to satisfy the requirements.

It looks legal, but why would you want to? With only one unit (that could go belly up) you have no redundancy, and I'm even leery of the those nice new ACFT that have a couple of GPS/NAV/COM units and no ADF - certainly increases your alternate fuel arrangements for lighter ACFT when flying IFR away from the coast, where VORs can be few and far between in many areas.

I dislike flying NDB approaches as much as the next person (and will fly a GPS-NPA over virtually any other approach given the choice) but if it's what's left to save my bacon when the pretty coloured screens go blank, I'll take it, thanks!

Fly safely