PDA

View Full Version : JPI EDM-700

Two_dogs
23rd Feb 2004, 14:02
G'day all,

I'm about to have a JPI EDM-700 installed in the old C206. I'm also considering the fuel flow option. I already have Gamijectors installed.

From reading the available information, (despite being FAA TSO'd and STC'd), I understand the unit will not replace the existing Cessna CHT gauge which must remain as the primary instrument. A 'gasket' type probe must be fitted on the primary cylinder. I believe it goes under the spark plug?

Question... Does this installation replace the existing Cessna EGT gauge, where it would fit nicely in the limited panel space available, or does the old EGT have to remain? It's not a very good performer anyway, hence the replacement. The current EGT gauge peaks at about 13.5-14 Gal/hr@9000ft @ 24/21, but will not indicate a 75' decrease even if fully enriched.

Any input about how your installation was done, opinions etc. greatly appreciated.

Two Dogs :cool:

Jamair
23rd Feb 2004, 17:43
:ok: Contis need GAMIs the same as men need sex - yeah, they'll get by without, but not have much fun.......! GAMIs work very well on the injected continentals (as their stock injectors are soooo bad.)

Seriously, good on you! The best money you will spend on the bird.

Yes unfortunately, if the standard equipment list includes the crappy old EGT and CHT gauges, you will have to keep them - crazy but true. The biggest fright you will have this year is when you see the TRUE temps on the EDM and compare them to the ones showing on the stock clocks. BUT if the Cessna EGT and CHT are not STOCK, then you can and should scrap them. Check your POH and airframe / avionics logs. If you do have to keep them, relocate them out of the way and stick the JPI in a prominent place.

The standard fitment of the EDM No 6 CHT is via a sparkplug washer arrangement which can give erroneous readings (25 - 50 low); but this can be fixed with an optional CHT probe sensor kit which fits into the standard probe hole - talk to your supplier or direct to JPI www.jpinstruments.com

One of the most valuable benefits is the data logging - especially if your bird is on line. You can see EXACTLY what you or the rental pilots are doing and graph the results. This has saved me big bucks on the Aztruck when the gauge alerted me to a duff cylinder which simply would not have showed up any other way until it fried itself. The fuel flow is great and extremely accurate.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you wanna know more (or ask Chimbu Chuck, another convert with his Bonza IO-550), or talk to the Oz supplier, Neville at Angel Aircraft - he has them in his Twin Catastrophe.

Cheers.:D

Grivation
23rd Feb 2004, 17:55
Two Dogs, you are correct in that the original EGT must stay. One way to get around this is to install the JPI-711 package and replace the whole lot but it is expensive. More info on their website.

One good trick I know - find out which cylinder burns the hottest and ensure that a JPI probe is installed in that cylinder. Not sure about the 6 cyl donks but in our 4 cyl the #3 pot burns hottest (which is also the one that cessna put their egt gauge on! - smart eh?). The problem is that you've now got the least accurate probe on the hottest pot! Solution - stick the original probe on one of the cooler running pots and get a JPI in the "hot spot".

Have you looked at any of the other manufactures?

Two_dogs
25th Feb 2004, 13:29
Looked at my POH which is the AFM for my machine, and there is some good news. The EGT is listed as an optional extra not required for certification, and can be replaced by a JP Instrument.

The Cessna CHT gauge must remain in place, but there is the option of installing the adapter probe to preclude use of the gasket type probe, and it's associated error.

With the current $AU\$US exchange rate, I dont think there is a better time to buy, so I have ordered the JPI-EDM-700-6CFF. (mouthfull) This is the standard machine with GPS connected fuel flow option. This results in fuel remaining/fuel req to next waypoint/reserve at next waypoint/miles per gallon/time till empty/gallons per hour/fuel used since last refill.

Another bonus is that if the data is downloaded or even manually recorded at different fuel flows and sent to GAMI, they will fine tune my injector sizes and if needed will swap one or two injectors for optimum performance. This is done free of charge if done within 12 months of purchasing your GAMI's.

I have 100 Hrly due in about 2 weeks so will have the instrument installed then...can't wait!

Two Dogs :cool:

Jamair
25th Feb 2004, 19:20
Good show; and yes the folks at GAMI are great to work with, do the Lean Test and send in the results. The graphs are real eye-openers.

The device is quite complex but simple to use, feel free to drop me a line with any questions, queries, problems, dramas. Enjoy it!