PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and their Emergencies

proxus
23rd Feb 2004, 09:21
Hi There !

I was wondering if any of you have had an emergency which you delt with and which produced a safe landing in the end ?

If so, I would like to hear your story.

-What was the emergency
-How did you deal with it
-What was the outcome

Well, as you can see I don't have specific request, I was rather thinking of a good story and meanwhile seeing how many of you guys have had some trouble in your flying career.

Best regads

Proxus

Airbus Girl
23rd Feb 2004, 19:31
Are you a journalist? A fake pilot? Why would you want this information? Sorry - just being cynical....

Busdrvr
26th Feb 2004, 03:44
Most every pilot has had emergencys. But since we pilots are such a humble group, we don't kiss and tell.

Anthony Carn
26th Feb 2004, 04:09
I posted a list here a few weeks back.

Peeps seemed surprised at the length of it. The list was quite long as well. It may be that my airline has unreliable aeroplanes. It's rumoured that some BA pilots go through a whole career without any major problems.

I certainly could'nt be @rsed to type a screenful of blurb for each problem/solution. Apart from that, the travelling public might, unproductively, come to the same conclusion as myself -- flying ain't as trouble free, or therefore as safe, as you'd like to think.

The statistics paint a very reassuring picture, so that's all that matters, apparently. :uhoh:

Onan the Clumsy
26th Feb 2004, 05:33
I think I'm going to change my name to "Didn't we have this exact same thread a couple of months ago?"

av8boy
26th Feb 2004, 06:39
We've been over that to death, Onan. Some months ago, as I recall...

Dave:)

reynoldsno1
26th Feb 2004, 06:50
Perhaps we should have a Deja Vu Forum .... but maybe we did already...?

Heliport
26th Feb 2004, 06:52
Most helicopter pilots regard landing a helicopter when they've lost their tail rotor or, even worse, lost control of their tail rotor which is still spinning, as one of the most challenging emergencies.
Although we all train for it, in real life it is notoriously difficult to do safely. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often!

You might be interested in this video which shows a pilot coping with the worse of those two. He landed, at night, without any injury to his four passengers and without any damage to the helicopter.
If you read the thread, you might be amused to learn who he had on board and the purpose of the flight.

NB: Please add a comment on the thread in Rotorheads if you think he deserves it. We're planning to send him a copy of the thread when we've got a few more posts.

Click here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119827)

'Tour Pilot Makes Difficult Landing' is the best.
The others contain clips of the incident and subsequent interviews with those involved.

Heliport

redsnail
26th Feb 2004, 10:41
Many moons ago I had a prop hub crack in a single. Over tiger country so I was really hoping for it not to fail. It kept wanting to overspeed to I loaded it up a tad and that kept it sorted. The fine oil spray made the windscreen pretty hard to see out of. Had to side slip so I could see out the side window.
Landed. Took the pax back to their hotels.
Had a beer.

proxus
27th Feb 2004, 08:23
Itīs interesting to see how many pilots are not to happy to shear their experience.

No Iīm not a journalist, just an ATPL student with a hefty interest of flying.

The point of this thread was to hear someting in the way of the column "I learned Flying from that" in the Flying magazine.

Thatīs all.. HONEST !

Proxus.

cognomultani
1st Mar 2004, 01:34
Hi ,

my point of view is that your question reveals a wrong way to approach what will be your future work .
cognomultani

Anthony Carn
1st Mar 2004, 01:51
cognomultani

My point of view is completely the opposite to yours, then.

proxus's last stated motive is laudable.

There's lots to be learnt from the experiences of others, methinks.

Loki
1st Mar 2004, 05:14
As a young (it was a while ago) aerodrome controller, I learned the hard way not to put my cup of coffee between me and the crash button!

AIRWAY
1st Mar 2004, 05:40
Took the pax back to their hotels. Had a beer

:yuk:

What a life :} true ozzie spirit :}

greatorex
1st Mar 2004, 18:35
I learned the hard way not to put my cup of coffee between me and the crash button! LOL!!! Am sat here with tears rolling down my face! :D ;) :D ;)