PDA

View Full Version : Drunk & Dangerous (merged)

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 05:53
Watching that documentry on BBC Drunk and dangerous, I tell you something, whatever they pay the police its not enough, they should all be issued with 50,000 volt cattle prods and just lay intot he filthy sub human drunken scumbags, we seem to be country peopled by nothing but yob trailer trash now.
:suspect:

The Invisible Man
23rd Feb 2004, 05:59
I would guess there is nothing more the police would love to do more than zap the gits with a cattle prod. Only trouble is nowadays, the cops cant even look at some people the wrong with there being a complaint. :rolleyes:

timmcat
23rd Feb 2004, 06:20
Is it just me, but I have great difficulty in understanding the mentality of anyone who can repeatedly kick another person in the head. Sober or not.

Serious post for once.

tinpis
23rd Feb 2004, 12:38
You catch the Redfern "riot" on yer telly TD?

Lon More
23rd Feb 2004, 15:12
Some of the offenders were rather "enthusiastically" shown the back of the van.

If the captain's word is law on an aircraft, why can't he order Air Rage offenders to be punished; "Sit on the wing for the remainder of the flight ...."?

Lon More

Herebefore Pontius was a Pilot or Mortus was a Rigger

Anthony Carn
23rd Feb 2004, 15:47
I watched the story of Dunkirk the other night. I listened to the men who were involved and felt immensly proud to be of the same nationality. The sheer quality of character was amazing.

Then we look at today and topics such as this. We've sunk a long way since Dunkirk. It makes me feel ill.

We should have sent all the yobs to Iraq at the start of the war. Pitch them in as the first attack, Stanley knives and broken bottles issue only.

That would've solved three problems in one. (number three being the preservation of decent soldiers lives)

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 16:03
There doesn't seem to be any unwrttien rules on behaviour now, and our youth seem to ignore the ones that are written.
My crowd started going into pubs at 16,we learned how to drink,we mixed with older people and picked up the rules from them,most people have been drunk at one time or another but in my day your own mates would have ostracized you for behaviour like that, you would have been ashamed to show your face.
Seems to me the worse their behaviour the more they gain status in their peer group.

angels
23rd Feb 2004, 16:16
Totally agree Drapes.

A shocking programme. I stayed down in Eastbourne some 18 months ago when my father was seriously ill in hospital. I wandered out on a Friday night for a quiet beer.

I couldn't believe the scenes of mayhem in the centre. In bloody Eastbourne for gawd's sake.

One can only assume that the same situation occurs in every small-to-medium sized town in the country.

Depressing.

Rollingthunder
23rd Feb 2004, 16:28
Get used to it.

In all societies there is an "under-class" of morons, male and female. IQs seem to hover around 40. Cause is poverty for various reasons, poor upbringing by equally stupid parents for various reasons, poor peer associations and just plain stupidity. Many football fans, young and old, seem to be in this category and the folks who steal cars and burn them often after running someone down and the little puddlers of vomit found on many streets after a Saturday night.

Happily they are usually in the minority although their activities may make us think otherwise.

Get used to it. There is no cure, lawfully that is.

IFTB
23rd Feb 2004, 16:33
Spend a few days in Brighton last year.
Honestly could not believe the scenes. Call me oldfashioned but have seen several fights between girls and several girls in total drunken stupor made me feel "a little sad" for our youth.
It is bad enough if men behave that way but if women join in we are totally lost.

Will my kids grow up thinking this is normal?
Will they fall in that same behaviour pattern?

Do Prooners consider this as exceptional behaviour?
Is it as widespread as the TV programme inferred it is?

Parapunter
23rd Feb 2004, 16:53
IFTB, I live in Brighton & it's a great place. I couldn't agree with you more however. I too watched that documentary & I cannot believe the standards of behaviour on display. The DCC interviewed was on the mark when he said that most coppers joined up for something else other than chucking trash in the back of vans.

I love a beer, I really do & Brighton's a great place to be if that's one of your outlets, but I won't go to town on Saturday nights between about june & August, it simply isn't worth dodging the puke & the fights & the f*****ng that goes on around you in the streets.

When I became a student in 1989, I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne, which is a just fantastic city & even better now than it was then, I can remember that we all used to worry a bit about student bashing & I suppose it's the same in most student towns, however, it dawned on me that as a local I would resent grafting away all week & then watching a bunch of kids getting hammered at 5 o clock on a Friday night in Luckies bar on Vinegar at 50 pence a pint.

It was the first time I had ever seen happy hours - now they're everywhere & I believe it's the absolute corner stone of anti social drinking along with the proliferation of bars everywhere. The police are getting more vociferous about this & the government have aired the idea of legislating to curb the trend. Scrapping & drunkeness have always been around, but more bars, more fighting - funny that.

IFTB
23rd Feb 2004, 17:10
Para,

No bad feelings about Brighton. It is a lovely place. It's the first time I have been confronted with recent UK nightlife.
Many moons ago early closure of pubs was blamed for public drunkeness and street trouble. I lived in Scotland when the pub closure hours moved from 10:30 to around midnight and later.
Made a vast improvement in open drunkeness as people took a more relaxed approach to drinking. They were not in arush anymore, ate properly before going out and did not feel the pressure of the last bell.

So why this now?

Taildragger55
23rd Feb 2004, 17:18
Tony, Tony, Tony,

I did not see the documentary but I am upset by your negative approach to this complex sociological issue.
These people are not criminals, they are victims, victims of inadequate education, inappropriate role models and of the chauvenist masculine culture into which they were born.

They need our pity, not our condemnation.

(I am waiting for a small mushroom cloud over Newcastle any minute now) :D

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 17:21
The documentry partialy explained this last night the breweries and pub owner cynicly encourage overindulgence by having nowhere to sit, people stand glass in hand and drink twice as fast, drinks are sold in double and triple measure.
One thing they could do is shut the pubs down for a week or two when there are the focus of trouble,that would cause them to clean up there act, of course they won't do this, its to simple a solution and in modern consumer society we can't have the sacred ringng of tills interupted even for a minute.
I have come to the conclusion that anybody born from the mid seventies on is of a different species to me.

Groundbased
23rd Feb 2004, 17:29
They need to spend a bit of time in the Namib desert with Staff Sergeant Stone and his mates (if you've been watching the series on BBC2 about putting some members of the public through SAS training). That would soon drill something into them.

Unwell_Raptor
23rd Feb 2004, 18:02
Violent thuggery is a tradition in this country that goes back for centuries. The London mob was notorious, and was replicated elsewhere.

The yobs you saw on the telly are exactly the same type of people who were at Dunkirk, if you think about it. Properly disciplined and led, and dressed in a red coat, the scum of the earth, as Wellington called them conquered half of the world.

Young men will always fight, and I think that most of our social ills on the street are caused by boredom, and a life that is just a little too comfortable.

Anthony Carn
23rd Feb 2004, 18:46
I take your point, Unwell.

In which case, the solution is glaringly obvious ! Bring back national service, discipline the yobs and give them something productive to do to repay the costs.

Maybe they'd emerge with some self respect and Dunkirk spirit.

G-ALAN
23rd Feb 2004, 18:51
I agree with U_R. Come on you cannot possibly sit there and tell me there weren't yobs in days gone by. It's just that it's alot easier for them now. It's easier for these morons to be a brain dead nothing, spongeing off the state and getting wasted every night than to be a decent hard working individual with responsibilities. Part of the problem is bloody tree huggers and do gooders, who run the country, think everyone, including these delinquents, should have 'rights'. It's at a stage where the police have no power for fear of being sued and people are frightened to take action against thugs, that's why they are winning and over running the place. Don't get me wrong, I love a good p!ss up myself but I find my my choice of watering holes becoming increasingly restricted due to yobs choosing the same place to get drunk and pick fights. There are certain pubs I won't venture into anymore because I know there's a 90% chance of leaving in an ambulance with a knife wedged in my back. Unfortynately the problem will get worse before the powers put the foot down and erradicate yobbish behaviour.

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 18:51
Yea! I look around the undisiplined shallow selfish yob society we have now and I suddenly understand the appeal of the sound of the Jackboot marching through the streets.

Groundbased
23rd Feb 2004, 19:00
AC

Agree totally. I think the time is right for a full debate on National Service.

There was a subsequent programme on last night about Youth Inclusion Programmes, where the aim is to try an identify future offenders at an early age and give them a chance to avoid trouble by getting involved in other activities.

That in itself is a good idea, but unfortunately it is being implemented by well meaning but misguided people who believe that given unlimited second chances these kids will eventually go off and do something useful. For example a girl smashed up some computer equipment and eventually was made to apologise for doing so. The person running the YIP appeared to regard this as a success.

I disagree, people need to understand that actions have consequences. These disaffected individuals realise that all they have to do is say sorry and they will get another chance, this progresses right through their life of anti-social behaviour and crime as they go through the courts expressing remorse and being let off for a "second chance". In many cases it is a 347th chance, and that is too many.

The money that is spent on these and may other schemes would go along way towards providing the infrastructure needed to support National Service. We should be able to come up with a modern version of National Service that allows the younger generation to spend a bit of time serving their country, learning some skills, discipline and repect for others.

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 19:05
National Service simply would not work now, you would have the luvvie liberals or Civil liberties people wetting there knickers in horror every time a Sargent Major shouted at the little bastards.
Start building prisons, lots of them, its long past the time we had real zero tollerance.

witchdoctor
23rd Feb 2004, 20:16
Oh man, what a programme.

I used to work in Hartlepool a few years ago, and indeed have been unfortunate enough to be dragged around town on a night out. Whilst most towns have an element of anti-social behaviour brought on by over-enthusiastic shandy consumption, the documentary last night was actually (unusually for tabloid TV tat) completely accurate - that is exactly what the place is like almost every night (and yes, the women are all that ugly - and yes, those probably were 12 year olds pouring out of the Wesley nightclub). It makes the Bigg Market in Newcastle look like a WI day out.

I had to laugh though. The guy who appeared at the nick and wanted to be arrested I have had dealings with myself. He is as much of a tool when he is sober and not off his head on drugs. It was hilarious when he kicked off in the cells and a few scenes later he is being held down by one very large copper with an enormous paw in the centre of his back. The guy is called Dan, and he is without doubt the largest single human being I have ever met - he makes Martin Johnson look like a ballet dancer. I can just imagine the scene as he comes in to the duty office and hears the commotion down in the cells.............:}

cdtaylor_nats
23rd Feb 2004, 20:47
Can those of you advocating Army training and National Service tell me why Aldershot is a town with an unenviable record of mindless violence and where there are pubs even the yobs go into in pairs.

radarman
23rd Feb 2004, 20:53
Didn't / couldn't see the programme, but agree totally with the suggested remedies. But TD has hit the nail on the head, as usual, by pointing out the fact that the civil liberty luvvies would scupper any effective solution to the problem. Does any Pruner know of any Guardian-reading tree hugger who has been mugged or puked on by one of these yoofs? Do these luvvies change their tune when it's their home that's been ransacked, or do they still insist the thug in question gets off with community service, the right to compensation, and an apology from the Chief Constable?

Back to the thread. Has anyone noticed that the problem of drunkenness on a European scale seems to be affected by geographical location. Generally speaking, the problem of binge-drinking appears to be worse the further north you go. Reykjavik on a Saturday night swims in vomit, and I've got a Finnish girl renting my flat in UK who spends most weekends in a vodka-induced coma. Strange thing is that booze in these places costs the earth. Down in this neck of the woods you can get a litre of Scotch for £2.00, and red wine is cheaper than Evian bottled water, but not a drunk to be seen. Go to the night-long Spanish fairs in summer and they are full of families, from grannies to babes-in-arms, peacefully enjoying themselves till six in the morning. The only signs of drunkenness are visiting British yobs.

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 21:04
You are right of course something like National Service requires at least a modicum of disipline within a society in order to work in the first place,we no longer have that.
Build about 100 individual cages on the outskirts of town, open to the elementsof course heave them all in there, hose the buggas down and let them sleep it off,no need for the legal proffession or the courts to be involved, chuck them out the next morning.

IFTB
23rd Feb 2004, 21:25
Radarman,

Same in my place of residence, not a million miles away from Madrid.
The social aspect has a lot to do with it.
In Spain, Franace, Italy the 'consumption of alcohol' is a social thing, like eating. It is done with family and friends. To spend a pleasant time together.
Somewhere at the level of Paris it starts to become a "get drunk" occupation.

Temperature?
Daylight hours?
Family group traditions?
Friends respect?

Can not be unemployment or cost of alcohol.

BTW, in France, wine and beer is not strictly concidered to be alcohol. Spirits is.

ORAC
23rd Feb 2004, 22:01
Pub crawl nearly sank Pegasus Bridge raid (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2004%2F02%2F23%2Fnpegus23.xml).... :hmm:

Enough please about how national service would stop them behaving in this manner. Perhaps you should do a search on the way the behaviour of British soldiers is seen in Cyprus? Let me give you an example. Ayia Napa (http://www.heureka.clara.net/sunrise/ayianapa.htm):

"Ayia Napa is an ugly tourist resort. One ghastly urban sprawl. It attracts a third of the tourists visiting Cyprus. Day and night it is noise. Its lowest point are the British soldiers from the base at Dhekelia, whose idea of a good night out is to get drunk as fast as possible, abuse as many people as possible, smash up a few establishments, then throw up in the street."

British soldiers have always behaved in this manner, but they have also behaved equally as violently on the battlefield, perhaps because of the same qualities?

In the words of Wellington, "My lads are still scum of the earth, but by God they scare the devil out of me".....:

BRL
23rd Feb 2004, 22:08
National service eh. Great, even more mindless violence. Some of the older blokes at work done it and they say they used to fight with each other, or against another company, the raf, the navy whoever got in the way. Fighting back then was a way of life as it still is now, there were no tv cameras following the police around back then but it was still there.

Think back to some places that had bad reputations, Cardiff docks, Glasgow, Liverpool all big places and smaller places didn't escape either, local villages all over the place used to get it too. Some pubs even used to have sawdust on the floor and a doctor on hand for the fighting that was expected.

All this talk about building prisons, cages in the middle of no-where etc just doesn't cut it either, it is not preventing the problem in the first place is it and you try telling someone pissed who is kicking off that they might end up in a cell for the night or 'the cage' and they will more then likely land one on you as well as the other person, a drunken yobo either a serviceman, local scally or whoever is not going to listen to anybody once the bit is between the teeth.

There is no solution for it.

Closing pubs simply sends the problem somewhere else. " the undisiplined shallow selfish yob society we have now " Same as it has been for the last 40 or so years then...........

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 22:20
I disagree BRL it was never this bad in the fifties or sixties, incidently I spent a months leave in Cardiff, I walked through those docks and out into Tigr Bay and the Bute road every night, never had a pick of trouble, had a fantastic time there as it happens.
Something has happened in the last twenty years, and its obvious what it is,no disipline in schools no disipline in the home no authority figures and a complete and utter disregard or respect for anybody or anything but their own instant shallow gratification,we are now into our second generation of scum, there has always been scum in our society but they were the exception at one time, now they are the rule.

BRL
23rd Feb 2004, 22:43
I see where you are coming from Tony, especially the disipline issue. You look at any inner-city school for any kind of disipline both in and out of the school and you will find virtually none at all. This of course doesn't help being in the inner-city where a majority of famillies are either single parent or unemployed parents, little or or any father figure to look up to and nothing to look forward to, to inspire them for better things in life.

Mr Chips
23rd Feb 2004, 22:58
I saw the police programme - and the Panorama programme on "Youth Inclusion Programmes"

Both programmes horrified me. The level of drunkeness and mindless yobbishness was astounding - surely when 5 coppers are sitting on you it is time to give up?

As to the Panorama programme, I agreee with Ground Based. I couldn't believe the anpount of money being pumped in to these "initiatives", with one Youth Worker seeemingly disappointed that they couldn't identify enough junior scum to warrant a programme on a specific estate.

The girl who "apologised" for smashing up equipment was later seen arguing with the police at a fireworks display, and hoped one of them got a firework in the face. Funnily enough, she had previously called the police herself because of her anger at her parents attempts to discipine her!

I also watch "Airline", and regardless of what you think of EasyJet, most of the programme is taken up with the great unwashed refusing to take responsibility for turning up late, failing to read the rules etc... Actually - its even the "middle classes" who argue there, expecting that someone else will sort out their problems for them.

Is it a lack of people taking personal responsibility?

Discuss.

Mr Chips
Feeling Old!

tony draper
23rd Feb 2004, 23:26
The trouble is the young do not even think they are doing anything unacceptable.
A example, was standing at my front door yacking to a mate, guy about three house up comes out to hoover his car out,I am not talking about some tattooed slack jawed neandertal here, this is a guy in his mid to late twenties,goes to work in a suit everyday could be a bank manager for all I know, anyway this hoover is obviously full, so he opens it up and tips contents onto the middle of the footpath, not the gutter the footpath and off he goes hoovering like a good un, we of course assume he is going to clean it up when he is finished, no such luck he finishes the job, takes the hoover back into the house comes out steps over the pile of muck he has left and off he goes in his nice company car.
Same type are indgnant when they play their hi fi at top volume when they get back from the club at 2am and the neigbours complain, they just do not seem to have any set of rules to live by.
I think it was New York that realised you had to begin by stamping down on simple bad and inconciderate behaviour before you do anything else, as I said lets get some real zero tollerance, teach the bastards that there has to be a set of rules.

CBLong
24th Feb 2004, 00:21
I agree, Tony, there are only two problems with modern society - ignorance and disrespect. Pretty much every form of crime or bad behaviour can be attributed to one or the other. If kids were just brought up to respect others none of these things would happen.

Sadly, I'm reminded of the PPrune thread a while back where a tall bloke was complaining about selfish people who insist on reclining the seats all the way back in cattle class, thus crushing the knees of said tall bloke. He was roundly shouted down as some sort of idealistic dreamer, and even accused of selfishness himself, with statements such as "I paid for the ticket, I'll recline my seat as much as I like, and sod everyone else." That's exactly the attitude that, in different circumstances, leads to loutish behaviour, littering, anti-social hi-fi loudness, and all the rest.

In a film I watched last night, a gentleman was defined as "someone who goes out of his way to ensure that those around him are comfortable". By that definition, gentlemanly behaviour has become exceedingly rare...

:(

noisy
24th Feb 2004, 00:41
Does anyone think that corporal punishment would be effectiveas a deterrent? Been Nicking loaves again Timmy? Hold out your hand.

As for our police, they would be a lot more effective if they weren't up to their eyeballs in legislation. I would have considered a career in the police but don't fancy refereeing a fight outside the club at 0230

Jerricho
24th Feb 2004, 00:53
Can I pick up on something cdtaylor mentioned.

As I used to reside in Farnham, I have seen first hand the "scum wave" as some of the local shop keepers in Aldershot refer to that began to filter into the town centre after 1800. Garrison town and all, there was no force on this earth that would have dragged me out for a few beer in that place. And it was widely rumoured around Farnham that if some of the squadies turned up and started carrying on, a quick call to the MP's would incite rapid response.

Now, you can site all the "work hard, play hard" you like, and I also know it isn't the norm for ALL those in the services, but this is an example contary to many very true and insightful posts here!

BRL
24th Feb 2004, 02:07
Years ago we used to dread getting into bother at school because we would get the dreaded slipper from our head of year. This sort of kept us on the straight bit but sometimes we did cross the line and used to really fear the slipper. My best mate Dave was asked many moons ago what was his worst memory from his youth and he replied waiting for the head of year to come back to the office one day after being caught doing something wrong. That is what it was about then, respect for our elders, namely our head of year, and others too, including the police who used to give you a hiding and let you go rather arrest you and take you away for being a bit drunk outside the local chippy or wherever. Can't imagine them ever doing anything like that nowdays though.........

PretoriaSillyperson
24th Feb 2004, 05:57
Hmmm. Well, I've just spent two years in South Africa where they drink far more per capita than any other country I've lived in and (discounting the criminal violence) there is remarkably little, "Did you clock my bird" aggression. Before SA, I was in Germany and there was absolutely NO viloence evident - and I do spend a lot of time drinking. Even now, I'm off me noggin.

However, UR is correct - the nation that gave us Azincourt and Dunkirk also gives us West Ham 2 - Chelsea Headhunters 0. Is the UK unfriendly to drinkers? No. Are UK drinkers unfriendly? Oh, yes. Very. It's only after (another) few years abroad that I've realised that. We are an antagonistic nation - "As soon as one Englishman opens his mouth, another will despise him" et ceteraae

Ah, here's my Daily Mail. Thank you, Kevin.

Dead_Heading
24th Feb 2004, 06:31
I went to Austria and Germany for christmas markets. Drink flowed like water, there were few police, and absolutely no violence at all. People were cheerful, and happy. What has happened to our beautiful country, our standards? A policeman cannot belt a drunk without getting crys of "assult" "Brutality" Get a life, if you are arrested for being DaD or for criminal damage etc, you shouldn't expect to be treated with respect. just my penny'orth

tinpis
24th Feb 2004, 10:30
What has been created by pandering in Australia (http://www.australian-news.com.au/Redfern_riots.htm)

simon brown
25th Feb 2004, 20:55
Simple. Legalise cannabis.

That way the little shrinking violet chav scum will spend their time lying around comatose as opposed to causing criminal damage, using Police resources,NHS resources,the legal profession and all the money spent clearing up and processing this walking (staggering) crap

Or drop the price of Subaru Imprezas to a fiver so they all piss off sober to the local Sainsburys carpark as they will all want to buy one....

Windy Militant
25th Feb 2004, 21:50
It's not just the slack jawed youth causing bother. Swindon town centre has over the last couple of years has become wall to wall with Pubs. These are mostly Chart 'n' Cheese, School disco get their money as fast as possible sort of places.
Over the last few years the town centre is getting worse and worse. From the casualty list printed in the Evening Advertiser most of the comabatants seem to be in the Thirty to Forty age bracket and in full time work. From personnal observation the women seem to be the main instigators of the trouble and far more hostile than the blokes.
It's got to a point now where the Adver is calling for the Pubs to pay for the extra policing that's needed every weekend the same as the footie clubs do.
The Wiltshire Constabulary earn their salt as one officer told the reporter we had to separate the combatants in front of a crowed of three hundred baying drunks

How long before the crowd becomes a mob and something really nasty happens!

flapsforty
25th Feb 2004, 23:54
However righteous (and understandable) your anger and frustration in the face of the mindless violence you feel is taking over your country, further references to "the appeal of the sound of the Jackboot marching through the streets" and similar sentiments will not be tolerated.

Forum discipline; the kind of thing that should appeal to you gentlemen. :rolleyes:

Kolibear
26th Feb 2004, 00:06
It comes down to Rights and Responsibilies. We may have the right to do as we please, but we also have the responsbility not to do so.

There are far too many organisations braying on about Civil Liberies and Human Rights without emphasising the responsibilites that these same rights carry with them.

Its an inevitable consequence of the Nanny State, where there is always someone else to carry the can. You get ill, go the the free doctor, break a window, insurance foots the bill. Its always someones else fault.

How about renaming the 'European Court of Human Rights' to 'The European Court of Human Rights and Responsibilites'?

GroundGirl
26th Feb 2004, 01:01
I am in my early 20's and I go out and have a few drinks just like anyone else with my friends. Not once have one of us flashed, argued with, pushed, sworn at, punched or kicked other people, police officers, vehicles, shop fronts etc etc.

I see fights when I am out and they are started for no reason between a) people who are usually good friends and have fallen out because the are drunk or b)some idiot thinking that he is hard as nails and thought that some poor kid was staring him out so he decided that he needs to kick his head in.

The security cameras in town centres are a great idea. Being able to identify the attacker on tape and relay that information directly to the police must be increasing the amount of people caught and the amount of fights stopped before they get out of hand and some one ends up in hospital with serious long term damage.

Bunch of idiots. Make me stay in more as I am scared to go out in case there are fights its :mad: selfish as it ruins everyone else’s night out.

Done!

no reds
26th Feb 2004, 08:15
I live in a fairly private area just off the town centre opposite a very tall camera mast.Ignoring the times my car windows have been put in I have to say that the police these days do not appear interested in protecting the people who pay their wages through council taxes.If you are above board with things like being on the electoral register,pay your TV licence,car tax and the rest you are an easy target.
If you upset them.
Last Saturday night ,quite early, I was waving to my lady through the kitchen window when the movement light outside cut in and I couldnt`t believe my eyes - she stopped in her tracks god bless - and a posse of what I can only describe as Shit House Rats ran for cover.
I have lived here for 5 years come June and in that time I`ve seen beat bobbies twice - xmas eve wearing pristine dayglows both times.
This world IS going to hell.

tinpis
26th Feb 2004, 09:02
Well at least they seem to be adressing the problem in the Top End

grog sales limits (http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8792479%255E13569,00.html)

I like a drop meself but would welcome ANYTHING that rids the towns here of the roaming shower of shite "long-grassers".

An American friend visiting was gob-smacked that such behaviour was tolerated here. :mad:

no reds
26th Feb 2004, 09:26
this has to be misguided, but what is a " long grasser " ?

spork
26th Feb 2004, 09:54
I always thought it was "a gentleman of the road" but the usage here doesn't quite seem to be that.

tinpis
26th Feb 2004, 09:58
no reds
longrasser (http://longgrass.tripod.com/freedommedia.htm)

And they aint cute. :mad:

CoodaShooda
26th Feb 2004, 12:20
"longgrass" refers to the natural spear grass, which grows to heights over 2 m around here.

Longgrassers are those who choose to live a beggars existence in the............etc.

Back to the thread, CoodaKid #1 visited Manchester during the Commonwealth Games and stayed on for a week after the closing ceremony. (She now proudly claims to have started Mexican Waves at the Sydney Olympics and Manchester Commonwealth Games - but thats another story)

Her impression of Manchester once the festivities ended was not complimentary....dirt, grime, drug addicts in the gutter etc

She also found the locals to be 'good people' but with 'no idea how to enjoy themselves'. Too much sitting in pubs, staring into glasses of warm bear....not enough singing, dancing and, above all, laughing.

She was sad that those she met didn't understand the concept of 'fun' in a non-drinking, non-smoking, non-drug taking sense.

It seems a strange question, given Britain's heritage of great humourists, but have you forgotten how to put fun in your lives? :confused:

--o-o-0-o-o--
2nd Mar 2004, 06:18
Just seen the disturbing documentary "Drunk and dangerous" on BBC1. I dont i'm ever going out again.......some of the violence was just beyond belief. For people who have not watched it....it was about 3 different towns and their respective police patrols on a typical Friday night. Truly shocking !!!...........what's your town / city like ???..........do you feel safe to go out at night????

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Mar 2004, 06:30
Well, whilst I wouldn't dismiss your alarm outright, I'm sure the makers of the program had a vested interest in making the situation look as alarming as possible.

What do you think Victorian London was like?

tony draper
2nd Mar 2004, 06:33
We had a thread about last weeks doc, like I said then, whatever they pay those Policemen its not enough.
I spent a large part of my youth drinking around the Big Market pubs in Newcastle, which was featured last week, it was never like that, and they didn't need bouncers on the doors or security inside then either.
Makes me despair for my countrymen, and country women for that matter.

G-ALAN
2nd Mar 2004, 06:51
Did'nt see the documentary but I can imagine it's probably typical of most UK towns and cities. The city where I live is probably the most unsafe I've ever been in. If I go into the city centre at the weekend I can garuntee I'll see somone having their head kicked in and also a good chance of seeing somone being stabbed or beat with a wepon, hence the reason I don't venture in there on Saturday nights. Do I feel unsafe going out? well no not really. Primarily because I always go out with a group of friends (about 5) and we know how to handle ourselves and also I know how to spot trouble. For example I've learned not to react to people who are looking for a fight, I let the abuse directed at me roll off my back and they soon learn I'm not going to give them a fight so they move on and leave me alone. Don't get me wrong it's taken a while for me to learn what to look out for and to difusse any potential situations before they happen, I've taken a few kickings along the way but I've learned my lesson and learned not to wind people up so no I don't feel unsafe anymore because I've gained experience and know what to look out for and the more you go out the more you'll learn how to avoid trouble ;)

ILS32
2nd Mar 2004, 09:15
Until this country gets a more civilised licencing system where the pubs,clubs etc can open 24 hours a day if they wish,then this problem will not go away.

At the moment most of the people who are likely to cause trouble through drink will not change their drinking habits.There know that they have to drink as much as possible before the pub or club closes.

With a 24 hour opening they can drink slower.They can go out later knowing that they don't have to bang 8 or more pints down their throat before the pub closes at 11:30.24 hour opening should stop the need for binge drinking.People hopefully will adopt more sensible drinking habits and find that they can have a good a night out as before but will have consumed less
alcohol.

If there is less drunkeness then the tv programme makers will find that there is nothing to film.So hopefully they will have to produce programmes that entertain us instead.

airship
2nd Mar 2004, 09:30
Pubs open till 11.30PM...when did this happen? I've only been away since 1990! :confused:

(Crikey, it's past 2.30 in the morning here...and everyone's abandoned JB apparently. Luckily J&B is open 24/24 so it allows all us other miscreants a chance to behave...!)

ILS32
2nd Mar 2004, 09:46
Silly me finger slipped should have been 11pm.I manage a bit of after time supping and lose control of my fingers.

:ugh:

takenthe5thamendment
2nd Mar 2004, 10:04
I live in a village - we have a pub 1/2 a mile away, up the hill - no problems here...and can get a 'lock in anytime'! :ok:

There's very few problems in the nearest town either........Oh the joys of being a country bumpkin. :)

IFTB
2nd Mar 2004, 15:43
I live in a french village of reasonable size which has four pubs, more or less in the same street. Discussed with the owner of one the BBC programme (previous episode). He claimed that since Christmas they have only had noise complaints( several)and one disturbance which was between man&wife about going home or not. NOTHING else. He claims this is typical.
Hope that England (!) gets longer licences soon and that the UK(!) starts to see drinking as a social behaviour and not as a desperate effort to show how much can be knocked back in an evening.
The comentary of "...have been drinking for 4 hours now.." gives the attitude away.
Sad.

Flash0710
2nd Mar 2004, 17:04
Last nights programme highlighted the very obvious need to introduce some sort of plastic drinking system.

The majority of the injuries / specialists time involved im sure would be reduced.

But hang on. Thats a sensible idea.

No chance of the govt doing that then!:rolleyes:

witchdoctor
2nd Mar 2004, 18:19
Watching last night's programme I couldn't help but feel that at times the police are their own worst enemy, taking a situation of nothing more than mild nuisance and turning it into a full blown violent scrap needing 6 or more coppers to control by poor decision making. The WPC in Aylesbury who was supposed to be teaching a probationer the ropes was a classic case in point - twice in one night she managed to mishandle the situation to the point where violence was the end result. Bloody numpties.:rolleyes:

Capt.KAOS
2nd Mar 2004, 19:26
Happen to see the program last nite. Very sad picture of England by nite to be seen here, with even drunken wheelchair hooligans. Anyone noticed that most of the punks have skinheads?

Most can't even remember what they've said or done the next day. I propose a local TV station broadcasting the footage so all can see how they behave when drunk :rolleyes: