PDA

View Full Version : Australian pilot dies in chopper crash

Kaptin M
23rd Feb 2004, 04:09
"The Age"
Australian pilot dies in chopper crash
February 22, 2004 - 9:57PM

A helicopter carrying workers from a US construction company crashed today in southern Afghanistan after coming under small arms fire, killing an Australian pilot and seriously injuring another passenger, a US Embassy official said.

The Australian male pilot of the helicopter was killed and an American woman passenger who was working in setting up health clinics in the region was seriously injured, the spokesman told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

"Apparently the helicopter was forced down by small arms fire," the spokesman said, adding it was not clear who had opened fire. The crash happened at around 9am (1530 AEDT).

It was not immediately clear how many people were on board the helicopter -- nor how many had died. Afghan military officials said four died in the crash that occurred in the Thaloqan area, about 65km south-west of the southern city of Kandahar.

"We have sent the investigation team to the area to find out more," said Khan Mohammad, the corps commander in Kandahar.

He said 80 army and police were searching houses in the area. He didn't elaborate.

The helicopter carried workers of The Louis Berger Group, Inc., an American engineering firm involved in major road construction and infrastructure projects in southern Afghanistan, where rebels of the former Taliban regime are active.

It oversees a high-profile $US250 million ($A316.66 million) project, mainly funded by the US government, to upgrade the highway between Kabul and Kandahar. The project, which has speeded travel between Afghanistan's two largest cities, has been plagued by insurgent attacks and kidnappings of construction workers.

Mike Staples, public relations official for Louis Berger in Kabul, declined to comment.

No other details were immediately available.

The US military spokesman in Afghanistan, Lt Col Bryan Hilferty, said he had heard reports of a helicopter crashing today, but could not give any details.

"We have heard similar reports, but no United States or coalition forces were involved," he said.

- AP

{I lifted this from the main R&N forum, with credit to Googie, who posted it there}

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Feb 2004, 20:25
I read tonight on MSN of the death of my friend Mark, shot down by arseholes.

Many happy memories of boating together in Rabaul and drinking beer while our daughters played together.

My sincere condolences to all his MANY friends and of course his family.

RIP Mark Burdoff. One of the best of the good guys!!!

Chuck.

ISO-PROP-NIT
28th Feb 2004, 14:24
CC...Sad news indeed mate. Mark did some (well, all actually) of my training on the sa315b in 1994??. He lived in Cairns then.
I have been flying fixed wing back in oz for the last 7 yrs and still feel the pain whenever I hear about a chopper going down, knowing full well at worst it is going to be someone I know.
Hope they catch the shooter and do unto him/her likewise. Better still how about a 200' line under the 212, tie around ankles and do some low level circuits at 60kts. Sounds about right to me.
Also hope big mal does the right thing$.