PDA

View Full Version : waiting for 2nd stage cadet interview

cadet applicant
22nd Feb 2004, 13:47
Hi all,

thx for sharing your experience over here, i just pass through the first round cadet interview and they had called me to do a further medical check 2 wks ago. After the medical check, the doctor asked me to provide some medical letter from my previous doctors to prove my health condition ( i had asthma when i was very young!)

my doctors are preparing the letters for me now, but i have no yet receive any news from the recruitment!!!

Are they waiting for my letters before calling me in for the 2nd interview??? anyway, i will send those letters to them in the coming few days. Hope they will call me soon!!!

Also, i think some of you are already pass through the 2nd interview, could you guys tell me more about it? and any suggestion to my preparation for it???

I had no any flying experience, so i hv no idea what can i prepare, just reading some material about how the plane fly and do some simple maths exercise.

thx for your info!!!
:(

mrfox
22nd Feb 2004, 17:56
First stage rejections normally occur before the 2nd medical. Since you were called back for the detailed medical check, you should stand a good chance of making it to the second round interviews if your medical pans out.

Here's my experience for the 2nd interview:

Recruitment will send you a (well worn) booklet with basic PPL type knowledge to study before the 2nd interview. Study and memorize every bit. There'll be a written multiple choice test, and oral quizzing during the interview regarding the material.

Numerical testing: Simply hell. The math is simple, but they are presented as long-winded and convoluted word problems. There are airline interview prep books with similar type questions to practice if you want, but it probably won't help very much (you either can do the problem or you can't).

Psyche testing: 100+ M/C questions, most random and totally irrelevant, probably just to wear you down enough they'll get you to answer honestly.

Group exercises: Each interviewiee gets a different version of a common problem. A limited amount of time is then given to iron out a solution that meets the most needs. They are not looking at the solution, rather at how well you work and interact as a team.

Flt plan exercise: You and another canaidate work out a simple flight plan Its straight forward, but you need to be careful regarding the various (conflicting) factors involved, and be merticulous with your calculations.

Finally, interview: As stated above, verbal quizzing on subjects from the tech knowledge book. They'll also ask questions regarding basic mechanics to see if you have a decent sense of logic and curiosity. Then they'll ask all sorts of very personal questions regarding background, family/girlfriend, your motivation to be a pilot, etc etc. and they'll probe into subjects you seem uncomfortable with, so don't get shocked or offended. Rather, take a deep breath and be thoughtful, genuine, and sincere with your answers.

Hope this info helps fellow pprune'rs.

Regards

P.S. Cad App - Its probably best if you didn't post the exact same questions in multiple threads - it makes it very difficult and confusing for other users to search through the archives. Board traffic is slow enough so that there is little chance your question will "slip through the cracks"

Best of luck :ok:

cadet applicant
28th Feb 2004, 02:32
mrfox,

thx for ur info, they r really helpful to me, really thx!!!

r u just pass through all the interviews already?

anyway, thx!!

mrfox
28th Feb 2004, 17:33
No prob. What goes around, comes around. ;)

*Some more hints*
-The Earth is a ..... .......? Look up what that means. :ugh:
-How does fuel get into the engine in your car?
-Know what planes are used in cadet training.
-Do not be afraid to skip questions in the numeric test.
-I'm retracting what I said earlier about not practicing for the numeric test - practice can't possibly hurt can it? :8

Thats all I can think of for now...

r304ndy
19th Mar 2004, 14:26
Judging by the standard of your written english, I'm surprised you even made it though the first stage. Or shall I say it's CX's standard of english that is to blame. My only tip for you then, my friend, would be to sign up for a crash course on english grammar before worrying about your medical letters and the likes.

mrfox
20th Mar 2004, 03:37
I'm surprised you even made it though the first stage.
I'm surprised you had even made it through the first stage. :suspect:

Lighten up!

K3nnyboy
15th Apr 2004, 17:44
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I just had my Stage 1 interview last thursday, however does anyone know how long it usually takes for Cathay to call up people for 2nd interview? I am very worry bout this cadetship. Some of the candidates have got invited to 2nd interview already, I am afraid that they wound'n't take me in. :{

Do they usually pick everyone in one go? or they spread em out even tho the candidates did 1st interview together. :sad:

Also guys, is it alright for me to reapply at the end of this year if i didn't get in now? I am planning to get my PPL and come back try again.

Thx heaps!! :ok:

skypeeper
17th Apr 2004, 06:56
k3nnyboy,

I don't think you have to worry too much. I went through trying for the cadetship a while back and CX had the courtesy to call me about a week after and tell me that I didn't make it to the next round. I'm sure that they're policy on contacting people who don't make it hasn't changed so here's what you can do:

1) Sit by the phone and wait nervously until you chewed your way up to your shoulder

1b) Regret that you no longer have limbs to engage the autopilot

2) Relax and wait for what I hope is good news to come

3) Plan on how to exact verbal revenge on me if you've read this post and they have given you not-so-great-news

<hint: No.2>

Best of luck to you!
:ok:

ugh, maybe I got rejected for using 'they're' when I should be using 'their'. Hope my English teacher's not reading this!! :}

BigTimeWannabe
17th Apr 2004, 09:01
Hi,

From what I understand if you progress to the next stage, CX usually calls you. If you are unfortunate and not required to progress they will send you a letter.

And yes, the wait is agonising and stressful! Especially when you know that others in your interview group have recieved phone calls! From then on you just have to sit by the phone or stalk your postman for news!!! But remember, sometimes 'no news in good news' makes it slightly easier on you!

mrfox
17th Apr 2004, 09:56
I am new to this forum. I just had my Stage 1 interview last thursday, however does anyone know how long it usually takes for Cathay to call up people for 2nd interview?

Do they usually pick everyone in one go? or they spread em out even tho the candidates did 1st interview together.

Also guys, is it alright for me to reapply at the end of this year if i didn't get in now? I am planning to get my PPL and come back try again.

K3nnyboy,
It says you are from Australia - did they arrange the "overseas canidate" scheduling for you(initial testing & first interview together, with 2nd interview guaranteed within 2 weeks)?

If so, the process happens rather quickly. There were 6 persons total in my first interview. 2 of us made it through and got calls the next day. The rest got letters or emails within the week.

If not, then the wait might be a bit longer.

K3nnyboy
17th Apr 2004, 15:36
MrFox:

I actually went back to Hong Kong and attended the Stage 1 interview. There were 6 candidates in my group and 3 of them got invited back already.

BigTimeWannabe:

"No news is good news"? Well hopefully you are right man. I've been so paranoid sitting next to my phone hoping that it rings. I think I am gonna stalk my postman soon hahaha~~

skypeeper:

Did you end up trying out for it again? What did they say when they called you? Were they like telling you not to reapply again?

ALL:

Do you guys work for any airlines now? or just waiting for result just like me? Hey thx ppl ;)

Oh, i forgot to ask you guys this:

So even 3 out of 6 got invited already, it doesn't mean i have no chance does it? Hopefully they are offer me Stage 2 soon or later.

cheers~~

skypeeper
18th Apr 2004, 11:48
K3nnyboy

In my opinion unless you receive an unambiguous form of contact, by phone, email or letter, saying that you should try again at a later date, I think you should keep your head up. It's never over until the HR person sings. I can empathise completely with you though, the hardest part to deal with is the waiting. Agonising. But I also used it to figure what to do in the event I got a no go. I have seen some of my friends in the US get good letters from the airlines and some get not so good ones. There was no particular order in which they heard (and I'm talking about people who interviewed at the same time). Just because 3/6 of your group made it so far doesn't necessarily mean the other 3 are out. I know of some instances where all of the interviewees made it (that was in the States but I'm sure there's someone out there who knows if it happened here in HKG. Anyone??)

What did CX tell me over the phone? Well, they didn't say PFO! The lady was very courteous and told me that I didn't make it through the medical. She sounded almost apologetic and actually told me the rest of the day went very well. It's very uncommon for the airlines to give reasons for not considering candidates further. Normally it's just 'thanks for coming, seeya!'. Want to know what's funny? I most likely didn't make it through because of my eyesight, as it is beyond 20/200. But on the application I had to state what my eyesight was, so they knew well in advance. Why did they interview me? Goodness knows! But I took it as a very positive sign, hoped that they would keep me on file and I knew that the ICAO were planning to relax their eyesight standards. So also hoping that HK would relax theirs in turn, I took a risk, packed my bags, went to the States and got my ratings, then stuck it out there teaching (for a school owned by Delta Airlines...great fun!!) until I ran out of visa time.

And to answer your other question, yes I have reapplied but haven't heard from anyone yet. But then again it was only a week and a bit ago that I mailed anything off....I think I have a good solid dose of waiting time coming to me! All I know is, it's been worth working my way to the point that I am at now, just to try getting a chance to fly in HKG, since it really is my home.

Again, keep your head up at all costs my man. Just think, the fact that you even got called to interview probably puts you in the top 10% of CVs that CX receives (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm grossly misjudging!) . That's really something, and means that you've got a certain what-it-takes. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get far.

Try not to sweat too much, you might dehydrate into a large pink raisin ^^
;)

K3nnyboy
18th Apr 2004, 16:55
Skypeeper:

Geez~~I never seen people type this much on a forum. Man, thx heaps Skypeeper!! :ok:

Are you serious? I thought they just interview everyone who applied for the cadetship. So even people who attended Stage 1 uinterview have been short-listed already? Now that really cheers me up for sure!!

I also know what I am gonna do if i didn't make it through this time, I thought about getting some hrs and earn my PPL in Australia, then try again for Cathay next year. I am only 19 now, so should be still in the range for cadet. :p

Thx man!

BigTimeWannabe
18th Apr 2004, 18:59
K3ennyboy,

I understand that you are really keen on being a pilot...so are most of us who surf this great forum! But do you think spending a year getting a PPL is all you should spend your time on if you're unsuccessful!? You're still 19, and it seems that this is well below the average age of cadets. You're still young, do you really want to commit your entire effort into something thats can be very volatile with little to fall back on? (I'm making an assumption based on your age that you do not hold a degree!) What would happen in a years time if you're again unsuccessful, as there are no guarantees that a PPL will get you a cadetship with CX? I'm sorry for being rather cynical, but its the harsh reality of the cadet progamme that not everyone (in fact, I fear only a small percentage of applicants) actually go the whole was and get to ADL as there are four demanding stages of selection. What the glossy and inspiring brochure neglects to portray is that at every stage of selection (application form included) many people may be rejected, and in fact very few go through.

All I am saying is that it sounds great that you take interest in aviation and would like to obtain a PPL, but I just feel that cadet applicants who are young and fresh out of school should also make contigencies in case they don't make the grade. I don't mean they should be deterred from applying, but just saying they should find something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out. There have been cadets who have had zero flying hours to those who could be considered very experienced, likewise very experienced cadet applicants have also been unsuccessful. Maybe, if you're unsuccessful, try and plan for a career outside aviation and try your luck again in the future, if they think you have what it takes on paper the first time round, there is no reason why you won't get called for interviews again in the future, even if you haven't added to your "aviation CV."

Although it may sound like I'm a but cynical, I feel that I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible at the same time!(sorry for trying to be too deep:8 )

Anyway, best of luck! Hopefully see you in the flt deck one day!

kinex
19th Apr 2004, 04:13
K3ennyBoy,
I was in exactly the same situation as you 4 years ago, I had the first 2 stages interviews with them when i was 19. I didn't make it and i decided to get some hours and experience in aust, now i'm back with the aussie CPL and IR rating but only with 300 hours in total. DragonAir said i am no longer suitable to join the cadetship becos i've got the CPL, and not enough hours to be a S/O beocs of under hours, which means i'm now stucked at the middle. It's quite frustrating....
:uhoh: lucky i got a call from CX for an interview last week, now waiting for the 2nd stage call. :ok: so cheers up man, u will be alright! wish u all the best:ok:

skypeeper
19th Apr 2004, 06:55
BTW

Couldn't agree with you more.

K3nnyboy, if it doesn't work this time around, go out there and get more qualifications, a degree or something equivalent, nothing less. You absolutely need something to fall back on, and you're still at a great age to do all of that. Can't stress enough how important it is to get a degree if it's possible. Some of the majors in the States don't even look at CVs which don't contain at least one degree qualification (I know Delta doesn't for sure). It might become a trend with most major airlines in the near future. Besides, if it doesn't work out (gotta face it, it's a possibility) your higher education will open far many more doors for you, including other positions within the aviation industry, than if you didn't have any.

You can disregard what I've said if you're one of those wunderkinds who graduated Uni at 19 with a PhD. Which in any case would be really sick....

I don't type a lot do I?? Maybe I should take up croquet if I have all that time :}

Kinex:

KA didn't take you because you had too many ratings? You have to be kidding me.... one would think that they would look upon you a little more favourably? Did they elaborate any more on the issue your being 'overqualified'? Shoot, guess I'm out of luck with them then, so much for my MEII rating! :{

K3nnyboy
19th Apr 2004, 10:53
All:

Thank you so much people, you guys just opened my mind heaps by providing so many ideas. I understand the problem I am having now much clearer. I believe it is a bit hard for a person like me, who didn't go to uni and apply for Cadet straight out of High School. I think what I need now, is not only a PPL, I'd need a degree at least, in order to plan for my future. THx guys hoep to see you all one day in the flight deck.
Oh, by the way, about how many hrs would a cadet earn after graduation from the programme?

It's ok, I value every info here, so even if the comments are harsh :sad: , it doesn't matter. Any more recommendations, guys just pass them on! :ok:

Kinex:

Notice that you are from Sydney as well, which flying school did you go to? I notice there are alot of them at Bankstown Airport.

K3nnyboy
23rd Apr 2004, 17:10
According to Kinex's case, do you guys recommand me to earn my PPL or go ahead and study a diploma as follow:

Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence):

Advanced Commercial Pilot Licence.
Certificate IV qualification.
Articulates into Degree courses.
Multi engine Command Instrument Rating.
Advanced flight training.
Advanced CPL theory training.
55 hours multi engine flight time.
265 hours flight training experience, including 200 hours of flight time and 65 hours in our full motion flight simulator.

I am afraid about not making it into Cadet because of too much hours.

BigTimeWannabe
24th Apr 2004, 01:08
K3nnyboy,

any news from CX yet? Have you tried KA?

Best of luck

Hydrolix
25th Apr 2004, 04:02
KennyBoy, don't worry about having too many hours for the Cadet Program. Speaking from experience, I had over 300 hours when I applied including various qualifications, ie CPL, ME/CIR etc, Frozen ATPL etc.

There is no way that you will be discarded from the pile because you have too many hours. More experience is better whether you are going for either direct entry or CPP. Good Luck

Hydro

kinex
26th Apr 2004, 03:16
The OQ cadets thing was set by KA only. doesn't apply to CX, please don't get me wrong guys. can always try D/E S/O after u build up your hours.
Kennyboy, read your PM ;)

K3nnyboy
26th Apr 2004, 15:15
Got an letter from CX, I didn't make it in this time.

Thank you so much anyway people! You guys really help me to decide about where I'm heading, guess studying for the diploma isn't a bad idea, I will try again when I finish my diploma. ;)

Happy flying!:ok:

kinex:

Check PM plz~~