PDA

View Full Version : Life in Al Ain

malaysian eaglet
22nd Feb 2004, 13:17
Anybody can give some information about Al Ain?
Thanks

millerscourt
22nd Feb 2004, 17:34
malaysian eaglet

Life in Al Ain??? You must be joking surely. I would be surprised if there was any there but as I have never been there I wait to be corrected on that.

I have only seen the place from the air and it looks a desolate place in the middle of the desert surrounded by oil and gas installations.

I think the highlight of the year was the recent Airshow at the Al Ain International Airport.

Dropp the Pilot
22nd Feb 2004, 17:41
Another waste of bandwidth, posting tosh when you know absolutely nothing about the subject at hand.....

Why not get a hobby?

millerscourt
22nd Feb 2004, 18:48
Droopy the Pilot

At least I have given malaysian eaglet an inkling of what Al Ain is possibly like by it's description from the air whilst YOU have added nothing to the topic, thus wasting bandwidth. It would appear that YOU need to find a hobby.:{ :{

TwoDogs
23rd Feb 2004, 12:05
What would you like to know. Ask away and i shall attempt to answer your questions, I have been living here for 12 months.

p.s. Ignore previous comments from those who have no idea what they r talking about.

millerscourt
23rd Feb 2004, 15:46
Two Dogs Well come on then use your imagination and give malaysian eaglet a few comments such as population,what is there to do there, ethnic mix, any cinemas,availability of alcohol,schools, hotels,health clubs etc etc etc Got the message now????

Invictus
23rd Feb 2004, 23:30
There is so much happening in Al Ain, to just go right out and attempt to explain it all leaves me open to the risk of leaving out a whole lot of stuff.

Two Dogs is there now, and I left there after 4 years (4 years ago now), so he can give you the latest information.

malaysian eaglet, if there is anything else you need to know, or wish to confirm that Two Dogs cannot help with, give me a PM and I'll help where I can.

millerscourt : You really have no idea what you are talking about;

population - Not exactly sure, but around 500k
what is there to do there - You name it
ethnic mix - Very Multicultural, regional and international
cinemas - Yes
availability of alcohol - Yes
schools - Yes
Hotels - Yes
Health clubs - Yes
etc etc etc - Lots of that too

Got the message now???? If you have nothing good to say, try not to say it here.

Invictus

TwoDogs
24th Feb 2004, 02:17
Thanks Invictus, I am sure Malaysian Eagle will appreciate the info.
Who is this millersaskirt character. He talks of finding a hobby....I think he has been indulging his own hobby to excess...hasn't anyone told him he can GO BLIND !!! :E

Fly Through
24th Feb 2004, 07:47
Hey Two Dogs,
How's life in the Garden City these days? Hope Mr Cox ain't getting you down too much.

Have you heard from our friend Mr Walton recently? Heard about him setting up home in a desert not too far away but have heard ****** all of late.

Rgds FT

millerscourt
24th Feb 2004, 16:07
Invictus Now malaysian eaglet and the rest of us are wiser about Al Ain.

Two Dogs No thanks to you we are all wiser about Al Ain.

You will see that YOU were the one who first talked about a Hobby. I think you are looking in the mirror whilst writing your two posts which told us SFA abot Al Ain despite the fact that you live there. Guess you are too busy with yourself. Talk about the Blind leading the Blind!:{ :{

TwoDogs
24th Feb 2004, 23:06
You will see that YOU were the one who first talked about a Hobby.
I told you it would make you go blind, M.

If you read through the previous posts (or get someone to read them to you :O ) you will see that I was not the one who first mentioned hobbies. It was first mentioned in post 3, before I even entered the forum.

Fly Through...

Mal Cox :confused: I remember that name.
It has been so long since I have seen him i am not sure I would recognise him. - just kidding :8

As for Brett, last heard he was on his way to Q from Oz. Haven't heard anything since then tho. he was supposed to drop in on his way but I think he had a few probs that caused a change of plan.
Edited for spelling...I would hate to give millerskirt another opportunity to have a go at me
.:ok: :ok: :ok: :E

captaincrunchie
28th Feb 2004, 02:07
Such Hostility..........................tisk tisk tisk.

Jim Morehead
28th Feb 2004, 06:14
Al Ain
Wel, I drove through it a month ago. It is much smaller than Dubai and smaller than Abu Dhabi, I think. It might be equal. It is against some mountains and Oman is right across the border.

It is a pretty city actually and has plenty of vegetation, flowers, and palm trees. It hs an international airport and makes a good diversion airport with better weather probably because it is away from the water meaning less fog. I recall the Royal Air Force had a training base there for the UAE.

It is roughly 1:30 - 2:00 hours from both DXB and AUH.

I don't think it has toomay flights and far less than AUH and DXB.

Would I live there if based at AUH or DXB? Only if I wanted a smaller town and was willing to drive about 2 hours to work.

max payload
3rd Mar 2004, 01:02
AAN - as I recall it, a little 2-horse town on the way from AUH to Oman, in the AUH Emirate.
I visited the place a number of times, on the way to Oman with the Wrangler.
Nothing like camping out in the open in Oman, or dining at the KFC in Al Ain.

Then again- here's the way www.alain.gov.ae describes it:

"Al Ain, the largest city in the Eastern Region of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in the country United Arab Emirates.
Home of the UAE University and Known as "The Garden City Of The Gulf". It is surrounded by magnificent red sand dunes and overlooked by an impressive mountain range. Al Ain is located inland on the United Arab Emirates eastern border, at a focal point for journeys by excellent roads to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah.

The city's origins date back for over four millennia, as evidenced at the many archaeological excavations. More recent history has origins in the seven retained plantations or oases where numerous restored and ruined forts and settlements can be seen.

Visitors will experience present day Arabia at its best, yet old traditions linger including one of the last remaining and thriving camel markets. Tour the city to experience the contrasts of old and new taking in a visit to a serene oasis. Take a trip to the outskirts of the city for a camel ride or even an overnight camel safari amongst the dunes or an exciting 4WD journey over the dunes or through the wadis.

Families can visit the largest theme park in the region, the famous Al Ain Zoo which houses one of the largest animal collections in the world, an Olympic sized ice rink, or experience a wide variety of other recreation facilities.

The city's magnificent resort style hotels can rival the best anywhere. There is shopping to suit every demand. Gold, electronics, oriental carpets and gifts can be purchased at very low prices.

Visit AL AIN for an experience to remember."

Amen to that.
I spent some time with the AUH Amiri Flight, and remember the B350 operation moving to AAN. Maybe them fellows are still there?

Cheers, Max.

Fox3snapshot
6th Mar 2004, 03:30
Was there recently for the chapter of the world aerobatics championships and was really impressed. Lived in Oman previously and compare it to Muscat without a beach. Friends there on a Hawk contract and they are set up very nicely and enjoying it.

Dubai and Abu Dhabs all very close, Oman border and Muscat 3 hours away so you can enjoy the best of Arabia. They have a Trader Vics so "Tiki Puka Puka's" all round!!!!!

:cool: