PDA

View Full Version : Atc

shnee
22nd Feb 2004, 09:40
G'day all,
I just want to ask a few questions about ATC and the recruitment process.

Firstly someone take me through the recuitment process and what they expect in a person.

What is the trainning like?
What are the pros and cons of the job?
How often do they employ?

Also I am 20 with a frozen ATPL and instrument rating. Will this help give me get a foot in the door, or should I waite a few years until I have a bit more life experience.

Just want a bit of guidence,

Thanks

Shnee.

Duff Man
22nd Feb 2004, 11:01
The Civil Air message board is the place to ask

http://www.civilair.asn.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gendis

You are at the right age to get in, do it now. No experience required.

Knackers
23rd Feb 2004, 06:51
I agree with Duffman- go now. Several courses are run each year of about 20 recruits each. I found the training pretty hard and haven't met anyone who'd want to do it again. The job is so unique and unrelated to others that there is very little experience and knowledge that you can fall back on to help you along - ATPL not withstanding.

I've been in the job 25 years and reckon it's a great job for aviation-minded people. It gives you the time and the cash to fly for fun. Because it's such a task-driven job, you complete your shift and rarely carry any mental baggage home with you. Shift work is ok as I like having mid-week off. Half the population is working shifts these days so it can't be avoided. At least you sleep in your own bed a night and not some interstate motel.

Arbey8
24th Feb 2004, 09:24
i was in the same sitch about a year ago but without an cir. they send you tests to do on the internet which are probably more difficult then modern raaf or airline tests. prior to the testing you have to fill in the normal crap and send a resume. after they get back to you (all via email) they'll see if you wana come for an interview. i bailed at this point cause i took a 'job' at essendon. air services still send me emails to see if i am keen for the next intake. it's probably not as rewarding as a flying career but definatly challenging and good consistent money! if you turn them down initially they will still ask if you want another go.

with regard to your flying qualifications: they ask you how much you have done and how frequently, i think you'll still have to go back to basics for the needs of helicopters though.

Arbey8 (Amd DAP/JEP Arbey1) :ok:

TurboOtter
27th Feb 2004, 17:58
Don't wish to be nosy :ouch:

But roughly what is this "great" money that ATc guys earn?
A ballpark figure?

I know that it would be better than any G.A. pay:E

SM4 Pirate
28th Feb 2004, 09:55
Subject to change; currently College Trainees get $27000; field trainees (shift working) get $42000, licenced ATCs get $54000 through to $114K in about $3000-$5000 annual increments.

It takes 13 years from bottom to top of the range; performance based progression in the increments is coming, not automatic like it has been (by default, not name).

The next CA is due in OCT 2005; expect an ugly war! Due to the lack of progression in outstanding things from the last one. FATMAN, POR, Restructure, safety v profit culture to name a few;:yuk:

Some very disgruntalled newbies want revenge; some oldies want to help them get it...

Bottle of Rum

This info (Certified Agreement) is available on the net, under the industrial registrars sight, sorry too lazy to get you the link.

No Further Requirements
28th Feb 2004, 12:36
Hey all,
Just curious about SM4's post about revenge! I know what the newbies want, FPC pay for FPC duties (gee, novel idea). However, I don't know what the oldies are up to. Can you elaborate? From my (small) amount of background I have on the subject, I thought the last CA was a case of let's look after those here now and ****** the newbies? Most oldies I have spoken to think 5yr J/Man is a bit of a joke, so I am a tad confused. What would the majority really like to see? Cheers,

NFR.

takeoff1
2nd Mar 2004, 08:06
:p have a look at airservices australia website, has everything you need to know, including rates of pay etc, it has gone up now, trainees get 30K etc.

I only last week sat the testing in sydney, and got through to the next stage which is the interview process, so anyone that has any info on what to expect there would be greatly appreciated.

Hempy
2nd Mar 2004, 20:09
Check out Duff Mans link, but to paraphrase, it goes like this,

Recruiting

There are 3 major stages in the recruiting phase (apart from the initial application). First is the general aptitude testing, which is basically sexed up IQ tests e.g pick the next number in the sequence etc etc. There is an interview stage where you sit with a couple of HR knockers and an experienced ATC which is much like any other job interview ("Explain a time when you convinced someone to do someting they didn't want to, and tell us how you did it etc). Then there's the specific aptitude testing, which is pretty full on and mostly on computers. I'm not sure if its still the same, but there was a simple TRACON type game where you have to vector blips through a gate etc etc. Get through all that and they should offer you a course.

Training

Because the majority of ATC's are Enroute ATC's, this is the most likely course you'll get on. It takes around 12 months and is in Melbourne. The first stage is learning the basics, including pilot related stuff like altimetry, met, navigation etc. Then there's Procedural training (simulator) as well as theory classes (separation standards etc). Theres a fail point at every theory exam (i.e fail an exam and then a suplementary and you're gone) and a final sim exam. After that you do the Radar phase, and more theory. Pass the Radar phase and its out to the real world for on the job training

OJT

OJT consists of about between 3 and 5 months of training, depending on the sector you are sent to, some being harder than others. It consists of a sector specific Simulator course and then a period of OJT with a training officer plugged in beside you. Some groups require you to pass the Sim phase, others don't, but after a period of OJT you sit a final check (that could last anywhere between 1 shift, and in one specific case I know 4 months !!! ). After that, your on your own baby, and free to whinge about what a crap place it is to work .... :}