PDA

View Full Version : freezing

zed3
22nd Feb 2004, 04:18
.....me again! Once more , a problem with Windows XP , maybe it's been handled before but I have it now!!! For the last year or so , I have not taken updates for Windows XP as the system was suddenly freezing and I had the idea that the problem came from the updates . I blocked the updates and all was well , system worked perfectly , no problem . HOWEVER..... there was that Microsoft warning recently , about the recent crucial flaw , that the system could be vulnerable to hackers and that a download patch was available to repair this problem. All comments pointed to the patch being vital .....so I downloaded it . Of course , due to the fact that the system had not been updated for a while it was a question of a bunch of updates instead of one system patch! Now having updated , the computer is freezing regularly , the only solution when this happens is to switch off and restart as control/alt/delete doesn't help. Grrrrrrr! Oh that I hadn't updated , all WAS working perfectly but then I was trying to protect myself , as instructed. I can't do a system restore as the only restore date is the last patch/update date!!!
Has anyone out there (Naples Air Centre - Richard , again?!) THE solution?
Many thanks in advance.

fobotcso
22nd Feb 2004, 04:43
zed3, there is a flaw in your logic:

all WAS working perfectly

How do you know it was working "perfectly"?

Have you updated your XP installation to SP1? You can check by right clicking "My Computer" and clicking on "Properties".

It is very advisable with a new OS such as XP to update it regularly since when Microsoft put (push) it onto the market it is still very immature. In your position I would do a full re-install over the existing set-up (you won't lose your settings) and get straight onto the Microsoft update Web-Site and let the beast be updated.

The several XP machines I administer get this treatment and I stay free of serious problems. But then I'm very careful not to try to install old programs that used to work on Windows 95 etc but which are not written for Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

XP is a great OS. If it's giving you grief, it's not the fault of the OS.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Feb 2004, 06:25
zed3,

I have to agree with fobotcso, I cannot see how your comp can be working perfectly if it cannot be updated without causing problems.

There is something else going on in your system.

Did you try to load SP1 in your comp? Will it accept SP1 or give you an error?

Take Care,

Richard