PDA

View Full Version : Stuff to try to live by.

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2004, 00:10
Seems like it's easy to be disappointed by the "under-performance" of some of us, in today's world, so here's 1 or 2 little "parameters" that I TRY to maintain to stop the downward slide :mad:

"If you borrow something......ANYTHING...........return it in at least "as good as", or "better than", condition than when you took it.
Explanation:- People "borrow" stuff to save themselves spending. But when they borrow, it's invariably from firends. So why not show your friend how much you TRULY value his/her relationship, by returning (that) what you borrowed in beytter condition than they lent it to you!

Boss Raptor
22nd Feb 2004, 00:58
Tell me about it...books returned with spines bent/broken...CD's/DVD's looking like they've been used as coffee mats...or worse still not returned at all

I dont loan anything unless I am 100% certain of the person...and when I borrow as stated above it saves me buying the object/equipment and so I return a small gift as well...

I luv these people 'oh i see you have the new thingy CD can I borrow it and make a copy'! like to contribute to what I paid for it you jerk!? :confused:

Learn something new everyday

Do something good everyday for another person/s

Make someone smile everyday

Anthony Carn
22nd Feb 2004, 01:02
I'd add "Return the thing in the first place".

I religiously return borrowed items on or before an agreed date. I establish the agreed date at the time of borrowing. I expect others to do the same.

People who borrow from me and need to be asked for the return are never lent to again. Trouble is, it seems to be 100% of the people I've lent to ! :*

And those who fail to return things, despite being asked, are dumped.

G-ALAN
22nd Feb 2004, 01:07
Always be on time! If I'm meeting somone I make a point of turning up on or before the agreed time. There's nothing worse than being left to stand around in the cold because your friend is 15 minutes late because they couldn't be arsed getting ready in time :*

Mac the Knife
22nd Feb 2004, 02:41
1. A man's word is his bond--and so is a woman's.
Always tell the truth. Always keep your
promises, not matter how inconvenient.
Speak plainly; say what you mean, mean
what you say.

2. Pull your own weight. Work hard, no matter
how unpleasant, dirty, and tiring it is.
Folks are counting on you.

3. Remember, a man is what he does.

4. Clean living. Do not gamble, cheat, buy
on credit, drink, smoke, chew, spit, sniff, or
shoot anyone. Sex is fine, as long as it
follows the other rules.

5. No fighting. If forced to a fight, fight to win.

6. Hold your temper. If tempted to hit a man,
cuss him out instead. If tempted to cuss him out,
count to ten instead.
If you can't count to ten, walk away.

7. Mind your own damn business.
Don't spread gossip, and don't fly off half-cocked.
If you give a man enough rope he'll hang himself,
thereby saving you the job.

8. Always wear a hat; it prevents your brains
from being scrambled by the weather. You must
uncover for church, the National Anthem, and
when entering someone's home. All other
occasions are optional.

9. Harbor no prejudice. Stand up for
justice especially when it's unpopular.

10. Take care of your horse before yourself.

11. Never loan money to a friend.
If he needs help, give him what he needs.
Don't ask to be repaid. Awareness of debt
breeds resentment and has ruined many friendships and
marriages.

12. Shake hands with everyone you meet.

13. He who complains about the food cooks
the next meal. This applies to housekeeping, yard
work, and all other routine chores.

14. Be kind to small children and dogs.

15. Never trust a politician or a salesman.

16. Whenever asked to give to a good cause, donate
a little more than you can easily afford.

17. Every woman is beautiful.
You just haven't noticed it yet.

18. A sense of humor will cure most of whatever ails you.

19. Go dancing whenever you get the chance.

20. Never quit.

Unwell_Raptor
22nd Feb 2004, 02:46
Look thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportioned thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel,
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatched, unfledged courage. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel; but being in,
Bear't that th' opposèd may beware of thee.
Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure , but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not expressed in fancy; rich, not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulleth edge of husbandry.
This above all, to thine own self be true,
And it must follow as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Coconuts
22nd Feb 2004, 06:58
Kaptin M

Did you ever hear the oul adage

"Neither a borrower or a lender be".

Well there's alot of truth in it. I very rarely lend anything to anyone unless I know them well enough to know they'll treat it well & am in a position where I can go in any day & retrieve it. I've
learnt this lesson after having records I lent never returned or treated no better than flying saucers, someone tried to trade one of my precious Dale Carnegie books for another book they were so smitten with him, had a book I lent my friend about child rearing scribbled all over by said child, & when I asked a fellow 3rd level student to return a massive book I lent to him on business studies was told nonchantly that 'I lost it'.

Learned my lesson, if you lend you lose. Take my advice to avoid more dissapointment stop lending & let these miserly pirana buy their own stuff.

Coco

gatfield
22nd Feb 2004, 15:36
My own philosophy in life has always been;

'The one with the most books wins'

Hence I try as hard as I can NEVER to return books to people who have lent them to me. You'll be happy to know, though, that I look after the books and all are in excellent condition.

I don't have many friends now - but I have lots of books! :}

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2004, 18:04
Interesting concept, garfield, inasmuch as that appears to be the position the wheel has currently stopped at.
He/she (which may well be one and the same!!) who has "the most, the biggest, and the best" is seen as the most successful.

After watching the movie "The Last Samurai" (about 6 1/2 out of 10, imo), it again re-inforced my parents (constant) eulogies to us kids of being honest, in an all-encompassing meaning.

The last samurai (Katsumoto) was the type of man who - deep down inside every man, is the man we might aspire to - embraced all that the majority of us might wish WE were......except imo, his inability/unwillingness to change his tactics in line with changing times.
OTOH, Tom Cruise was able to go back in time, to achieve fulfillment.
Paraphrasing...what good does it benefit a (wo)man if (s)he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?"

BlueWolf
22nd Feb 2004, 18:19
Rudyard Kipling
If

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Jerricho
22nd Feb 2004, 18:26
I know this one has been taken from some book written about some dude about 2000 years ago but "treating others they way you want to be treated" is on page 1 one the "Jerricho User Manual".

That and "Death to all MILs".

Coconuts
22nd Feb 2004, 18:49
Come to think of it I'm in the possession of atleast four different books to help me with my studies offered from two different people. Brought up instilled with the belief to respect other peoples belonging, I met one the other day & told asked her when would I see her again to return her book. She'd forgotten she'd ever lent it to me, if I had been one of these pirana I'd have been away in a hack. :rolleyes:

I still believe if one wants to gain acceptance & be liked by another person lending them things ain't the way, more than likely will cause a fall out if they treat it badly. Try something else IMHO.

I've given up expecting human nature to improve, it hasn't in hundreds of years so I just accept its shortcomings & have learnt to protect myself from it & live with it.

Coco

Rupert S
22nd Feb 2004, 19:12
um, don't leave the toilet seat up?

tony draper
22nd Feb 2004, 19:13
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, He travels fastest who travels alone."

Kipling

:rolleyes:

You want it when?
22nd Feb 2004, 19:18
Never lend what you cannot afford to give away.

If you loan a friend £20 and never see them again, it was probably a good investment.

G-ALAN
22nd Feb 2004, 19:23
I lent a 'friend' £20 in October and was assured I would have it back 3 days later, I haven't seen him since! [email protected] :*

Coconuts
22nd Feb 2004, 19:37
See the bad feeling & fall outs it causes!

I rest my case.

Coco

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2004, 19:49
"I've given up expecting human nature to improve, it hasn't in hundreds of years"..SHOOOT, never thought of you as being so "experienced in Life", coco :p

"He travels fastest who travels alone" you're dead right tony - but it can be a lonely voyage after a while (which is probably the reason you're here!!)

G-ALAN, "I lent a 'friend' £20 in October..."
Refer to Mac the Knife's #11
"Never loan money to a friend.
If he needs help, give him what he needs.
Don't ask to be repaid."

So it seems that "Neither a borrower, nor a lender be" is one of the 'primaries' in this life, if we wish to retain friends.

Any guesses as to the next?

Northern Chique
22nd Feb 2004, 19:54
Give something special to someone that needs but never asked for...

If nothing else, it teaches you to look deeper, appreciate more, and learn how to buy the most valued gifts. Not by cost, but by the amount it was appreciated by the reciever.

Be there for your kids. Its the best investment you can make in this world. Its high risk, dividends are never assured, but the quality can never be under-estimated.

takenthe5thamendment
22nd Feb 2004, 20:06
Boss -

books returned with spines bent/broken...

At least you get 'em back!
I have 'lost' so many books over the years that I won't lend one to anyone. :{

'Neither a borrower nor a lender be......!'

EH8
22nd Feb 2004, 20:43
I remember many years ago, when I was starting out on my chosen profession, I sought out a very experienced and well respected colleague and asked him for any tips / advice. He told me

“Never come to work wearing the dress uniform of a Japanese General”

I’ll never forget that pearl of wisdom and it has stood me well through the years.
:confused:

Coconuts
22nd Feb 2004, 21:08
You looking for a smack Kaptin ;)

How's this one "Never expect too much, you won't be disappointed.

It gets better :}

Coco

Jerricho
23rd Feb 2004, 02:21
He who has the most toys when he dies wins!?:}

gatfield
23rd Feb 2004, 08:35
Kaptin M, thank you for sharing your wisdom and trying to raise the bar a bit.

Not sure if it is working HERE though!

How bout this one-

Look at the weakensses of others with compassion, not accusation.

Binoculars
23rd Feb 2004, 09:12
Good thread, Kaptin.

I'm afraid that by Kipling's criteria, I don't amount to much of a man. :{

But I have to agree with Jerricho that as an overriding philosophy to live by, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" takes an awful lot of beating. Combined with "to thine own self be true" I think it covers just about every situation. What a pity it's so bloody hard to do. :( Also ironic that it was penned by the man in whose name so many atrocities continue to be committed. *sigh* ....Such is life. :uhoh:

Edited to add that "He who dies with the most toys still dies" gives me a certain sense of satisfaction.

Rollingthunder
23rd Feb 2004, 09:20
Do random acts of kindness. That does not mean throwing a pound/$ to the lowlife heading towards the bottle shop.

Kaptin M
23rd Feb 2004, 11:00
Well thanks to all (or most) of you, I feel some relief in knowing that I'm not the only one who has loaned stuff out to friends, only to have it returned looking like it had been around the world twice - as deck vargo on a submarine!! :(
Two cases that stood out were loaning a brand new multi speed hammer drill to a good mate, only to go around to his house a fortnight later to find it outside, in the drizzling rain covered in a light coating of surface rust:{
The second one was loaning a cement mixer to another good friend and on a visit to his house, finding it with a half a mix of DRY concrete in the mixing bowl :{
Look at the weakensses of others with compassion, not accusation...Thanks gatfield.
Both of these guys are still very close friends, but the "neither a borrower nor a lender be" that my Dad often quotes rang loudly in my ears.
He also used to say, "Never lend your wife, your car, or your money", but I think what he REALLY menat is, "Never lend (to) your wife your car, or your money!!" :E

Are more values being placed on materialism today than say 20 years ago? I think so, and the spiral seems to be tightening, imo.
A good example to illustrate this point, is the amount of money being spent on properties on Australia's Gold Coast.
On holidays there last year, there was a 2-storey block of 8 flats that had been purchased for AUD4million, and then demolished so that the owner could build a private holiday residence (complete with indoor lap pool, in spite of being absolute beachfront).
On the other side, 1 guy had purchased 3 houses (in the words of a local resident, "Any 1 of those 3 was to die for") and knocked the whole lot down, to build a massive holiday home.
So whereas before the value of an "expensive" beachfront house was $2-3 mil, it is now closer to $10 mil, as each one tries to outdo the other.
Personally I know that I am guilty of buying non-necessary "toys" that my parents could have afforded for themselves, but didn't.
The "Greed is good" creed that started in the '80's still appears alive and well , but I don't like the way it encroaches and affects others' lives.

Binos, I think I might still owe you a drink or two in appreciation of the superlative effort you made in organising that first ever PPRuNe Oz Bash a couple of years ago. That WAS an entirely selfless act (and a lot of hard work). So forget about Kipling...as a matter of fact, the more of Kipling I read, the stranger I find the man.

Mr Chips
23rd Feb 2004, 23:44
Work like you don't need the money
Love like it's never going to hurt
Dance like nobody's watching