PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Dominicana

bcqc
21st Feb 2004, 10:01
Anybody here have any idea about the dominican market. And perhaps Air Santo Domingo... Also, the conversion process for a Dominican licence. Gracias...

Panama Jack
21st Feb 2004, 12:29
I assume you are asking from a pilot's perspective.

Perhaps there is somebody else here more intimately familiar with the goings on in the Dominican Republic, but it was my understanding that, with the failure of Domicana de Aviacion, S.A. a few years ago, that there were still a number of Dominican pilots out of work. I know that there is Aeromar and LanDominicana, however, I don't know what this has done as far as available pilots. I do recall having seen ads for type rated pilots on www.climbto350.com for Aeromar

With respect to the license conversion, I don't have any knowledge of this. The best I can do is give you the website of the Direccion General de Aeronautica Civil in the Dominican Republic: www.dgacdom.gov.do

If you are a Airframe and Powerplant mechanic with an FAA certificate there has also been some demand in the Dominican Republic.

bcqc
21st Feb 2004, 17:09
Thanks PJ,

I have taken a look at that dgac site and it does not offer much. Yes, I am looking with a pilot's perspective, and was told that Air Santo Domingo is the only carrier that hires foreigners when Dominicans aren't available. Let's see about that...

PJ, being in Nicaland, what chances does a lowtimer have in CR (or centroamerica...) with native spanish and a way of getting a cedula?

pura vida

Panama Jack
21st Feb 2004, 18:31
Good luck, bcqc, on your job hunt and let us know what you find out. I also noted that the DGAC site had many links that didn't work, however, I was fishing as hard as I could for you.

With respect to work in Central America, a Cedula Residencial won't help you much in most Central American countries (definately the case in Nicaragua) as far as finding a pilot job. "Why is that" you ask? Because although a Cedula (and there are sometimes different conditions placed on them) allows you to live and normally work in the said country, the local civil aviation laws often require citizenship in that country to be able to hold a Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot License. The pilot community is a small one in each country, and foreigners often get hostile receptions as they are seen as taking away the few jobs there are for locals. There are, of course, always a few exceptions. Belize is one of them-- where they often hire expats because there are not enough Belician pilots to go around. Also, if you have a type rating with Captain time in type short-term work might be possible.

In your case, that doesn't necessarily mean the end though. You mentioned that you have a hispanic background-- may I ask from what country and whether you have checked if you have rights to claim citizenship in that country?

bcqc
22nd Feb 2004, 15:46
Hi PJ,

I have no CRican background but have lived there a couple of years, was married to a Tica, before entering the wonderful world of aviation, and since jobs are scarce, well I thought why not go back, I have a social network there and I know that there is a small domestic aviation industry, but only through info I have gathered from here. So you think I would need more than just the Cedula...
Concerning the dgac of the dom rep site, I have found nothing relevant, I'm doing the phone tag thing, we'll see.
Cheers

Panama Jack
22nd Feb 2004, 16:59
If you are still married to a Tica, you shouldn't have a problem getting a Cedula (Permanent Residency) in Costa Rica. Just the typical bureaucratic process + fees + time + patience to go through.

With respect to Licencing requirements for Costa Rica, I do not know for certain whether they require citizenship for a professional license, however, I have the following link for DGAC Costa Rica's licensing section:

http://www.dgac.go.cr/licencias_8220.html