PDA

View Full Version : GA Award

PLovett
21st Feb 2004, 08:32
Something that popped out of the fax machine that may be of interest to some.

The Chamber of Commerce NT would like to inform you that the Australian Federation of Air Pilots has made an application for the above awards to be made common rule in the Northern Territory. The application will be heard in the Australian Industrial Relations Commission on 24 March 2004 at 12.30pm.

Presently the above four awards are respondent only awards. This means if your business is listed in the Schedule of Respondents, usually located at the back of the award, your employees' terms and conditions are covered by that award. If your business is not listed then your employees are "award free" and you have the flexibility to negotiate your pilot's terms and conditions and most importantly their wages.

If the above awards become Common rule, and if your business is not already listed in the relevant award, then your pilots will be covered by that award and your business will have to abide by the award when it comes to their wages, terms and conditions. If your business breeches the award you may incur penalties from $1,000 up to $10,000.

Things could get interesting for some operators if the Federation is successful. ;) :E :ok:

scud_runner
21st Feb 2004, 10:31
About time something was done to stop penalising the operators that do pay the award and do the right thing only to be undercut by people who pay less than award wages. Be interested in the outcome.

Reverseflowkeroburna
21st Feb 2004, 11:29
So............

will the NT be leading the trend for the rest of Oz?????

I'll be watching very closely! :suspect:

turbantime
21st Feb 2004, 17:04
I'm with reverse.....hope this is catchy and all the state governments enforce it.....may make making a living outta GA a little tinsy winsy bit easier :hmm:

compressor stall
23rd Feb 2004, 08:52
Good to hear.

Although IMHO it is time the award had a bit of a revamp. Too many ridiculous little bits in it (like the $4 for starting early etc). Reduce those and make the base salary bigger.

I reckon a full time 210 VFR driver should be grossing $33K and a Twin VFR $39K. Then the IFR bits on that.

Other thoughts?

CS

nungry
23rd Feb 2004, 18:28
Okay, I'm going to batten down the hatches and make sure my arrow resistent shields are in good order with this, but if it does happen, and for other states as well, join the union!!! Look, I vote Liberal and am anti some Irish bloke fronting something like the AWU, so obviously all in all a non-union man mysef, but I can't see the point in being all for an award which backs us GA pilots, unless you are supporting the team that backs the award, visa vie the AFAP Union. These guys are actually pilots and go into to bat for you if you feel you need them. They have all been there, and know what its like to bust your arse in GA.
I joined them whilst not feeling so secure in the job I'm in, but ever since then, when any conflicting issue arises, all I do is mention that "I'll have to check that out in the award that my union sent me and get back to you". Never have I had to get back to them. Mention those magic words and life for me is not a problem. Seriously guys, this is not a recruitment drive by any means, just my extremely, and surprisingly good experience I have had by being a member. They also offer the Loss of Licence insurance, which under the award, is covered by your employer, which is another fantastic bonus.
Before any sceptics jump in, research it as I did, as I was a major sceptic also, but it will only benefit everyone out there, and eventually we will one day get paid a half decent wage.