PDA

View Full Version : Do I now need a visa for hourbuilding in the US???

PaddyMcGinty
21st Feb 2004, 05:44
I'm planning my hourbuilding module for July this year in the US but I want to get visas sorted firstly. I'm confused as to what Visas are now needed as I have read threads where people have said you dont need a visa for hourbuilding, al you need to do is say that your a PPL holder on a flying holiday. Other people tend to think you do need to get a visa now. So do i really need to get one? And what one do I need because there are so many. I'm also intending of getting an ME rating there also if i can. Will this effect anything? I'm bring my girlfriend along with me also, does she need to get one then if she's flying with me? I'd really appreciate any help on the issue. Thanks.

Steve

razzele
21st Feb 2004, 05:58
If you are planning on building hours alone you are correct in thinking that the simple holiday visa is all that is required.

however, if u are going to receive training towards a licence or rating then you alone must expect to get a visa. i think that will be a M-1 visa. which ever school you are planning to goto will be able to advise you further.

cheers

Ninety-Nines
21st Feb 2004, 07:09
Razelle is correct:

Hours building: No visa required as long as you hold a FAA license or conversion.

Flight training: A visa is required for any form of flight training that is towards a license, rating or certificate (even if you are not planning to take that license, rating or certificate in that trip).

PaddyMcGinty
21st Feb 2004, 21:17
Thanks for the help guys. Thats cleared things up :)

willby
22nd Feb 2004, 04:14
Hi,
The previous postings are correct.... no visa required for hour building. See Naples Air Centre (NAC) web site for very good and detailed info re all visa requirements,
Willby

FlyingForFun
23rd Feb 2004, 17:47
As I've said many times before.....

All the answers so far are correct. You do not need a Visa for hour-building.

However - there is no guarantee that the immigration officer who sees you on the day you arrive will know the rules as well as you do. Even if he does know the rules, he quite likely won't know enough about aviation to understand the difference between hour-building and training. (E.g. you don't need a Visa to do a BFR, or get a checkout with an instructor, but you try explaining to someone with no aviation background why that doesn't count as "instruction".)

I still have yet to hear of anyone not being allowed into the US to hour-build. But I'd still recommend a Visa if you have to the time to arrange one, just to be on the safe side. If the immigration officer gets it wrong and decides not to let you in, you have absolutely no right of appeal - you will be on the first plane back home, and you will have to tick "Yes" if you are asked if you've ever been refused entry to the US on any future visits. Take whatever steps you can to make sure you're not the first unfortunate person to fall foul of someone else not knowing the rules!

FFF
----------------

mazzy1026
23rd Feb 2004, 19:25
Hours building: No visa required as long as you hold a FAA license or conversion.

Can you go to the US and do hours building with a UK obtained JAR PPL ?

FlyingForFun
23rd Feb 2004, 20:15
Can you go to the US and do hours building with a UK obtained JAR PPL ?No - you need an FAA license to fly an N-registered aircraft in the US. But you can get an FAA "license based on a foreign license" by doing nothing except for paperwork (and sending some money to the CAA). You will also need a BFR (Biannual Flight Review, I think) before you can use your FAA license, as you would with any other FAA license.

FFF
--------------