PDA

View Full Version : Toast crispyness: Butter v Margarine

belowMDA
21st Feb 2004, 05:30
Folks, I have a dilema. When I plaster my morning toast with butter prior to vegemite application the surface of the toast maintains a lovely crisp texture. However there are occasions when the supply of butter runs out and I am forced to use margarine or some such concoction (possibly due to my excessive layering of butter in the first place). Now when I apply said marg the toast becomes all soggy, proving a hindrance to vegemite application. Why oh why does this happen???

I had initially considered finding some scientific forum to seek the truth but then realised the intelects that frequent JB would be best suited to assist in my quest.

The short term answer I guess is to keep the stocks of butter at necessary levels, but maybe we can initiate an improvement in marg standards.

Below.

Loki
21st Feb 2004, 05:37
Margarine?

You deserve everything you get! `Tis the invention of the devil (vegemite notwithstanding)

timmcat
21st Feb 2004, 05:44
Butter everytime, - always keeps it firm but due to health issues, we have to use bloody poluun-something or other marg..:{

tony draper
21st Feb 2004, 06:47
Just go to the doctors and ask him for some Simvastin, yer can eat all the fat, butter, cream cakes,eggs, cheese, drink real creamy milk ect, you desire and still have a colesoral level of 4.3 like Drapes.
Tee hee tee hee.

:rolleyes:

The Invisible Man
21st Feb 2004, 06:53
Absolutely gaggin for a slice of toast with butter and strawberry jam Mmmmmmm can taste it !!!!

But working till the early hours so will have to dream:*

Rollingthunder
21st Feb 2004, 09:03
Toast should be buttered as soon as removed from toaster, not left dry to cool on some Victorian toast rack. Margarine is not preferable. At this point spread one of an inummerable variety of tasty toppings over said plank of toasty glory including jams, marmalades, nutella, peanut butter, tomato slices or have it just plain. Excludes Marmite and Vegemite - the devil's paste.

Anthony Carn
21st Feb 2004, 15:47
The perrenial "cat with toast tied to back" experiment takes another twist (so to speak).

-------------------------------

Scientific discovery demands experimental sacrifice -- try the vegemite before the marg.

OR......apply the marg and vegemite in discreet (no, not under cover), alternate, knife-wide strips.

OR......apply marg to one side of toast and vegemite to other side ! Lateral thinking, that is (literally lateral, in this case).

Or do I mean lactic thinking ? :confused:

Literally lateral lactic layering logic. :D

Oh dear, the pills are wearing off. :ugh:

tony draper
21st Feb 2004, 15:50
The best soldiers for plunging into ones soft boiled egg are produced thus,remove toast from toaster,allow to cool, spread thickly with butter (for soldiers the butter should not melt into the toast, but retain its separate integrity from the toasted bread IMHO), cut into half inch wide strips, the toast butter yolk should not melt together until thrust into the egg.
PS, One is decapitator rather than a spoon beater,by adult hood one should be able to slice off the top of the egg with one swift cut of the knife, one thinks it unseemingly for grown men to be seen batting a the top of a boiled egg with a spoon like a four year old.

angels
21st Feb 2004, 17:35
Drapes, on the soldiers I'm with you 100 percent. If one is using 'proper' bread such as a fresh split tin, then one should trim the crust off and use that separately IMHO.

And at the risk of thread hi-jacking, one has to have the pointy end of the egg up....

tony draper
21st Feb 2004, 19:14
Indeed, soft boiled eggs should always be entered from the pointy end,those bigendians are nowt but savages.