PDA

View Full Version : Reg Piranha RIP

Ian Corrigible
21st Feb 2004, 01:30
According to the Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3505171.stm), as if the incipient threat of Al Qaeda is not bad enough, London is now under attack from flying piranha:

------

Killer fish hits boat in Thames
BBC News 2/20

A killer fish has been found on the Thames in London - more than 5,000 miles (8,046km) from its tropical home in the Amazon River in South America.

A seagull is thought to have dropped the carnivorous, razor-toothed, red-bellied piranha on to a boat's deck. It had only just died, with marks from the seagull's beak still on its back.

It is thought its owner had released it into the river - but the fish cannot survive for more than a few days in temperatures below 15C (59F).

The piranha landed on the Thames Bubbler at Halfway Reach, Dagenham, east London.

-----

Seagull my arse. I suspect that it was actually carried to the UK by a South American Swallow. Or perhaps two of them, holding it on a line held beneath their dorsal feathers...

p.s. Watch out - Dinsdale's still out there.

:E

I/C

Bre901
21st Feb 2004, 01:41
Ian Corrigible

you beat me to that one ! :ok: :ok:

Deleting my "Londoners beware" post

airship
21st Feb 2004, 01:50
Rene, this is London calling...

"The duck is out of the water and says Quack quack quack quack",
"Mother hen will not lay today but will lay 2 eggs tomorrow before the cock crows",
"One flushing of the toilet does not mean that the smell goes away" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3505171.stm)

Good luck until tomorrow at the same heure! :D

Rollingthunder
21st Feb 2004, 02:06
I'd say, thank you Mr. Seagull. What idiot would dump a live piranha into a watercourse in England? How did it get into the UK in the first place? These little monsters in groups of 30 can relieve a human bean of all it's flesh in 3 minutes. Lucky they don't like the cold. Sensitive little bastards.

airship
21st Feb 2004, 02:19
Broomboomboombrrrooooommmm!

Rest assured that Mr. Bean would never take a winter dip in the Thames. But I think he would nontheless be interested in borrowing your 8 guns concerning the disappearance of his motorcar under a British tank. ;)

broadreach
21st Feb 2004, 10:01
There are several different fish commonly described as piranhas. The largest, known as "Pacú" in Brazil and as "Piranha Negra" in the upper Amazon, are not as aggressive as the red-bellied version that get all the terror hype but they are reputed to grow to over 36", the teeth are just as sharp and they can certainly take a chunk out of you.

I've never seen anything bigger than 24' and my prize specimen, 45 years embalmed, has shrunk from 14" to less than 12".

But you can find Pacus all the way down to Argentina, in waters that get pretty cold in the southern winter. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone had discarded a few in the Thames and they'd managed to survive.

For prospective Pacu fishermen: use heavy steel leads - I've had 1mm stainless bitten clean through. Lastly, they taste very much like trout.