PDA

View Full Version : Age commensurate with experience...?

mistaboat
20th Feb 2004, 23:41
Please can some of you more enlightened beings put me out of my misery.
What do the airlines consider to be the expected level of experience with regards to age?? As they all say 'age in line with experience' in their job ads.

I am a 40 year old wannabee with a BCPL, around 650 hours an Instructor rating and a half completed IR.

What chance (if any) would I have with any of the airlines?? If I paid for a type rating, would that make any difference? Or would I simply be chucking my hard earned, down that 'ol bottomless pit again?
I know we all know someone who managed to get something, but come on, be brutally honest, am I just a dreamer!!

Please, please someone..save my from myself!!

Mistaboat.

Jonny
20th Feb 2004, 23:54
There was a very simliar titled thread a couple of weeks ago (though reversed, "experience commensurate with age"!):

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117888&highlight=commensurate

redsnail
21st Feb 2004, 08:47
You could have 3000 hours but with no IR I'm afraid the airlines aren't really going to look at you.
Get that done. Your hours will need improving because you aren't young and you have less than 1000 hours. If you want to get out of instructing then you'll have to get a move on now.

Pilot Pete
22nd Feb 2004, 16:36
with a BCPL

I don't think that qualifies you to fly for an airline either. You need at least a CPL, but in reality all the competition will have a frozen ATPL, so you need to get the exams done to stand a chance.

PP