PDA

View Full Version : Lsalt Cb - Tanta

Blip
20th Feb 2004, 10:02
Also known as UQ215 on the CB 210 radial.

Does anyone know what it is?

I've got Jeppesen charts and they don't indicate what it is.

Thanks.:)

swh
20th Feb 2004, 11:32
Blip,

The LSALT is not published by ASA in the designated airspace handbook, so Jepp do not publish it

:ok:

Blip
20th Feb 2004, 12:08
Incredible!

I suppose the one next to it on V175 will have to do then.

8300 ft :ooh:

Capt Fathom
20th Feb 2004, 13:06
Grid LSALT of 8700!:E

Capt Claret
20th Feb 2004, 13:40
Blip

I'll say it's incredible.

Go to Airservices AIP (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/aip/aip/gen/33124.pdf) , page 15, or do a search of Lowest Safe; alternately Jeppesen ATC, AU-806, para 3.6.

Using a Grid LSALT is acceptable but using the nearest published track LSALT, might avoid actually hitting anything but may not ensure minimum required terrain clearance.

swh
20th Feb 2004, 13:54
Blip,

I will have a look next time I jump in the aeroplane and see what it calculates teh LSALT as.

:rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
20th Feb 2004, 14:29
Blip,
I wouldn't be so incredulous if I were you. Didn't you know that LSAs are NOT published for RNAV routes, and that UQ215 is an RNAV route?

Blip
20th Feb 2004, 15:51
Well in the Jeps ENROUTE section, page AU-27 it says:

ROUTE FLIGHT PLANNING REQUIREMENTS

1. All ACFT are required to comply with the following planning requirements when operating in civil controlled airspace.

YSCB YMML

DCT CB UQ215 TANTA Q38 ML DCT

So if it is a requirement to plan via that route, you'd think it was reasonable to a least publish the LSALT for the first leg of that route.

But I suppose rules are rules. Some bright spark must have realised that RNAV routes are flown by big jets that fly really really high in the sky. What would they need LSALT for?! :rolleyes:

Yes Capt Fathom you are absolutely correct. :ok:

swh Really? Can you do that? :confused:

swh
20th Feb 2004, 16:31
Capt Bloggs,

Section 19 of the designated airspace handbook has all of the routes published in Oz, and guess what some RNAV routes do have published LSALTs, now thats incredulous.

:;

Blip,

Yes the boxs in our aircraft do that, very handy for diversions at night.

:ok:

Capn Bloggs
20th Feb 2004, 18:53
Swh,
Thank you. Perhaps you could enlighten us about what percentage of RNAV routes have LSALTs published?

Blip,
That "bright spark" probably has saved industry many many thousands of dollars by deciding that RNAV routes don't require LSALTs. And his justification probably was, as you hypothesise, that most RNAV routes are flown by higher-flying aircraft.
Another consideration here is that Grid MSAs provide a higher level of safety: instead of the highest LSALT for the whole segment, they allow you to descend (if that's what your worried about) to the lowest altitude for the grid square you are in at the time, that being far better than being "stuck" at 8700ft for the whole segment. You will, of course, know what grid square you are in becuase you are on an RNAV route and your therefore would be navigating with an appproved RNAV system...

There are hundreds of "required" RNAV routings that don't have LSALTs published

topdrop
20th Feb 2004, 19:10
There's nothing to prevent you calculating your own lsalt.

swh
20th Feb 2004, 22:59
Capn Bloggs,

If you pull out your AU(HI)10B you can see some of the Tasman RNAV routes like Sydney Auckland (N774 & L521) routes have published LSALTS of 1500.

As to how many L, M, N, P, Q, Y, T, Z RNAV routes have published LSALTS, dont know :hmm:

Capt Fathom & Blip,

I would not use the 8300/8700 numbers, fairly simple to look elsewhere apart from the HI chart to get a finer GLSALT, AU(LO)8, or even the Canberra <10-1> chart will show you a GLSALT in green of 7700 that you can use for UQ215.

You will also need to comply with the climb requirments on the Canberra SIDs which are up to 6.6%.