PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and Flying

MARZ
20th Feb 2004, 06:50
Have been taking antibiotics (Doxycycline 50mg as doxycycline hydrochloride) in capsule form for a while now- 1 per day. I can remember reading something a while ago stating that antibiotics aren't real good if you fly regularly.

I'm having lessons at the moment and I think it would be a good idea to clarify the issue so that i'm not doing anything detremental.

Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
Cheers.

EasyBaby
20th Feb 2004, 07:50
Im not sure about your particular antibiotics but im on celfelaxin and the doc said as long as i felt fit to fly i was allowed to. It should say on the notes what activities shoudn't be done, or try the airline itself, they sometimes have a list of products that shouldn't be taken whilst on flying duties.

I'll do anything to get back in the air, its been over a week now and my ears still haven't cleared, so if anyone nows of anything that could help me clear my ears ASAP, please tell me as i cant stand being half deaf anymore...........Pardon?

Northern Chique
20th Feb 2004, 10:16
MARZ - Just out of curiosity, is the "doxy" a preventitive or a treatment....

If there is something being treated, then that condition will be the deciding factor, in as much as doxy is an antibiotic, and rarely classed as a banned drug. One side effect can be some amazing control over acne, and other noted one is vivid dreams....

EasyBaby - As for your ears... dont risk going up unless you are extremely confident that your ears are clear and "popping" normally (valsalva maneuvour). If the tubes are still partially or all blocked, the pain on decent can be excrutiating, debilitating and in some cases induce severe vertigo.

MARZ
20th Feb 2004, 12:56
im using 'doxy' for my skin at the moment. It would be preferable to continue taking them (for the sake of my skin), but if it in any way effects the flying then i guess i'll have to stop the treatment.
Will it affect the flying in any way?
thanks for the advice

Krallu
20th Feb 2004, 14:52
What about regular penicillin that you get for different reasons?

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Feb 2004, 19:17
MARZ

You will have to check with your AME.

It depends on the following factors:

1. You
2. The condition for which it is taken
3. The antibiotic
4. How it affects you.

So no one liner here.

Ring the AME and discuss your case.

You're likely to be OK but nobody on here can say that without reviewing your particular circumstances.

HTH

FD