PDA

View Full Version : Engine fire - unusual response

Send Clowns
20th Feb 2004, 05:04
Bloody hell. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/02/19/nvc19.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/02/19/ixhome.html) Not much more I can add :ooh: Very impressed.

Whirlygig
20th Feb 2004, 05:13
I think it is sad that either his remaining descendants feel that they need to sell the medal or that he has no remaining kin who can feel proud in what he did.

If he was my Grandfather I would keep the medal and b*$$*r the value.

I hope, at least, that it can stay within the British Isles and be on public display.

Cheers

W

Send Clowns
20th Feb 2004, 05:22
I want to offer money so they can keep it. Any rich PPRuNers?

Whirlygig
20th Feb 2004, 05:42
I want to offer money so they can keep it

SC - when you say "they", who do you mean; the family or the nation?

If you mean the family, well bu:mad: :mad: er them; they want to sell their family history for pecuniary gain?

If you mean the nation, yes, well then, fair enough but who and why are they selling
the VC?

Unless there is NOONE who inherits the widow's estate and she died intestate with no surviving children, then I cannot see any excuse for selling the medal unless the family are in dire financial need.

Cheers

Whirlygig

no reds
20th Feb 2004, 07:52
you`re talking two generations away now and kids need to be fed . . maybe awards for bravery ought to go along Nobel lines with a good wodge with it. I believe Alfred Nobels claim to fame is having developed TNT - just as well there`s a peace prize with a couple of hundred grand

eal401
20th Feb 2004, 15:51
If he was my Grandfather I would keep the medal and b*$$*r the value.

I'd be on the verge of bankrupcty and I'd still keep it.

HugMonster
20th Feb 2004, 18:25
Appropriate organisations to buy would be, I would have thought, his Squadron Association (if it still exists), the RAF Museum @ Hendon or the Imperial War Museum.

SC, if you want to start a fund to make a bid for it in the name of PPRuNe, exhibit it @ some suitable museum with a tag labelled "On loan from the Professional Pilots' Rumour Network", I am sure Danny would allow you to do so through these fora.

sprocket
20th Feb 2004, 18:29
They said he was an 'airman', does that mean he wasn't a pilot?

HugMonster
20th Feb 2004, 18:34
I believe I read elsewhere that he was a gunner.

Send Clowns
20th Feb 2004, 18:54
I think 120,000 would be somewhat beyond our reach, even en masse, Huggy, especially with the limited time. Shame really, that would have been my thought.

I agree to some extent Whirlygig, but I was working under the assumption that the money was really needed. I was really posting this for the story of the courage of this man and his crew. Hope it goes on display at a museum