PDA

View Full Version : Def'n of BALANCE w.r.t. asymmetric flight

Oktas8
19th Feb 2004, 14:24
Could someone help me with the definition of balance, particularly in the context of asymmetric flight?

I am well aware that the balance ball is not a slip indicator, and I know that the balance ball is acting like a pendulum in the cockpit, with all that that implies.

So when I am "in balance", does that mean
A) the ball is in the middle (so B is wrong)
B) I am neither slipping nor skidding (so A is wrong)
C) something else.

This is of particular relevance when talking about balance in asymmetric flight using either the rudder-only (wings level) technique, or the angle-of-bank (combination) technique.

Hoping one of the very highly experienced & knowledgeable might be able to help. References to a textbook also would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
O8

Field In Sight
19th Feb 2004, 18:03
Have a look at this recent thread, discussing the same sort of question.

OEI - Why does the Balance Ball show a slip? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110180&highlight=balance+ball)

FIS

Milt
19th Feb 2004, 18:50
There are a few methods of determining the angle of sideslip during asymmetric flight. The old balance ball/needle with wings level only indicates balanced flight with steady sideslip when asymmetric.

Methods are simple string in the airflow.

Better is a wind vane but this is special instrumentation for determining sideslip in test flying.

Easier method now is use of GPS.

The hairy question is
How much sideslip when asymmetric results in minimum drag and best performance.

Hope this helps.

BlueLine
19th Feb 2004, 19:28
Balance occurs whent the aeroplane Fore and Aft axis is aligned with the Relative Airflow; no matter how many engines or what they are doing.

Oktas8
23rd Feb 2004, 15:15
Thank you for the replies everyone, particularly the reference to a previous thread. It has given me more things to read to develop further understanding.

BlueLine - do you have a reference for that?

O8