PDA

View Full Version : GA Job Hunting

Mr Garrison
19th Feb 2004, 08:40
I'm interested in travelling up to Broome within the next couple of weeks and talking to operators up there about some potential flying opportunities.

I haven't got my CPL(A) yet, but I am close to obtaining it and I have some time off from work, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone knew of some good operators to check out within that area??

I've heard good things about Broome and although I haven't been there it seems like a nice place to live and work.

How does one approach an operator?? Do you ring up on the phone before hand, or do you just turn up and ask to speak directly to the chief pilot?? Is now a good time to approach GA operators in this area?? Any hints or idea's from people that have already done this would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Mr.G

nackyknocker
19th Feb 2004, 10:08
it haven't heard anything recently but about 4 months ago i knew a fella who just fly up to broome and search around for jobs. He had only a cpl with minimal experience. after a while they gave him a call and he got the job.

He is about 30 and i think the operator was looking for someone older who wouldn't just take the hours and run.

i think age has a big advantage in GA not just hours

Have a good one and good luck
nackyknocker:ok: :sad: :8

Mr Garrison
19th Feb 2004, 10:37
Thanks nackyknocker

yeah, if I was an operator up there, I would prefer someone who was a bit older if I wanted them to stick around for a bit. Fortunately for me, I have a few more hours than most fresh CPL graduates and some of that time was on choppers, so they may or may not look upon that favourably.......who knows.

I spoke to an operator in Darwin via the phone about some work in the upcoming dry season and although he seems like a lovely bloke, he just couldn't seem to arrange a time to meet......probably because he gets it all the time from wannabee pilots like myself or maybe they just like it if you pop in, in person and say g'day I'm so and so with such and such experience.

Do you know of any particular operators in Broome I could check out in regards to pilot employment??

Take it easy................

Mr.G

capt stalingrad
19th Feb 2004, 10:57
Mr Garrison.

I dissagree. In my experience age has little bearing on job prospects in GA.

Older people may use their age to get the job, but in reality once a good hour base has been reached they are just as likely to leave in search of carreer progression as someone of younger age.

If you are going to head North dont just limit youirself to Broome, as in reality there are only 3 operators who employ lower time pilots, head all over the Kimberly and up to Darwin as so many do at this time of the year.

If you are not far of finishing CPL wait!, and then go with the intentions of basing yourself in these areas, as there are many people, some with many hours already basing themselves in these parts of the world waiting for that break.

I have only come across a couple of operators who regard age highly.

I am sure you have heard many times before, attitude is as far as im concerned much more important.

All the best. CS. :ok:

Continental-520
19th Feb 2004, 20:39
Mr. Garrisson,

If you've got some chopper time and you're a CPL standard in that as well as fixed wing, you'd be a hit in Kunnunurra, I reckon, cause they operate both, and you'd be one of very few "low timers" who could do more than the average for them (Slingair). I think the Helicopter chapter is called Heliwork or something similar.

Otherwise, Nick Walsh is the CP of King Leopold Air in Broome. My understanding is that he prefers to be contacted by searching pilots on Friday afternoons on the office phone line (...maybe someone can confirm this?). They operate C210 x 5 and C206 x 1. Scenic and charter. Minimums around 250 - 300 total I believe with 20 command on C206/C210 and an "F" class drivers licence.

That last one really gets me. When I was up there 2yrs ago looking for a start I couldn't be hired because of the requirement to drive pax around (therefore needing the "F" class licence). I had to be 21 to get this, and I was 18 at the time.

Now, with 900hrs and a MECIR I still can't be hired to drive a C210 for them cause I can't drive a bus. Is flying safer than driving or what?

Good luck mate, enjoy your travels.

Mr Garrison
19th Feb 2004, 20:50
Hey Continental-520,

Thanks for the great response!! F Class licence ehh! - looks like I might be going to the RTA soon then!.........I've heard good things of slingair as well......primarily from a guy called Robbo The Yobbo - he had this website which chronicled his adventures in the outback and is now working as a 747 pilot for Qantas so its always great hearing stories like that.

So what are you doing at the moment.......are you working in the outback or are you city based?? Would be interesting to hear your story to date as you can a lot from people like yourself and others who have been there and done that.

Might swing by SlingAir and let them know who I am.

Thanks again.

Mr.G

Aussierotor
20th Feb 2004, 14:31
Continental.

Not hard to get bus licence.
First you need a B class ,to drive a Coaster bus.
Answer the questions and go for a drive in a Canter or Coaster(no big rigs required) to get your B,the repeat the process to get your F-----different set of questions.

You can drive a bus on a B class as long as their are no paying passengers--------eg,advertise a free ride to the airport.

GW_04
21st Feb 2004, 16:33
Hey there Mr Garrison.
How's Mr Hat? lol
In GA, the old "who you know" cliche is a major factor rather than the hours etc you have.
My advice to you mate, that has worked well for me.
When you get your CPL and a few endorsements to help (more $$ I know), ring the guy's first and tell them you're keen to fly for them. When they say "Sure join the queue", you say will do, my resume will be on your desk in a day or two. Then ring back in a couple of weeks and ask how the resume looked and you will be up to see them soon.
When you show up, get a part time job in town and learn where the pilots like to have a beer. Get to know a few and be prepared to offer your services in what ever way you can to get a small foot in the door (without being too desperate of course).
If you persist with the said above, you WILL get a job if you wait, and providing you're a good bloke. Has worked for me.
Once in the door, you will find jobs everywhere without having to look. :ok:

Safe flying
GW

Mr. Hat
21st Feb 2004, 16:54
GW Mr. Hat is doing just fine. Mr Garrison and I have the occasional dissagreement but overall we are good buddies.

Mr. Garrison - Having gone the long way around GA to get the quals for the Airlines looking back I'd say I do this if I could go back.

1.Send a resume to both companies in Broome indicating the approximate date that you are going to be in town.

2. Follow up with a phone call.

3. Fly there with the following items. Logbook, medical, headset and Dangerous goods certificate. Remember to pack a box of enthusiasm and carton of initiative.

4. Get a job doing whatever.

The rest will come.

The rest of the GA hopefuls will go to Kunn or Darwin and its like trying to win lotto. Forgedabowdid.

Good luck.

Continental-520
22nd Feb 2004, 13:38
First of all, Aussierotor, I'm sure it's quite easy to get the said licences, however one does have to meet their age requirements, which I didn't and still don't.

Mr. Garrison,

I was in your position in pretty much exactly 2 yrs ago - drove up to Broome with 250 total and 40hrs C210 command and found a place to live, got myself a couple of jobs in town (the bakery was the most lucrative and by far the most fun), and did the usual stunt with the Chief Pilots of the operators up there. Whilst nothing was happening, I sent out a few "blanket emails" to operators all over the country who hired newbies in the hope that something else may come up in the meantime.

I'd go to visit the Chief Pilots every few days, sometimes a week at a time and they usually said "nothing yet, but keep in touch". So, that I did, but nothing eventuated. I later found out that this was due to my age, or lack thereof, and that is understandable from their point of view, I guess. Why would you put an 18yr old in a C210 with your pax when you can put a 23yr old in with the same flying experience?

3 months later, a miracle occured and I got a phonecall from half way down the coast offering me a start. This was a company that had been in receipt of my 'blanket email' sent some weeks earlier. Needless, to say, I felt like I'd won Lotto.

So, left Broome, went to that job, finished the rest of the season there, went back to Perth for the off season until I found another job inland and then eventually moved back up coastal for another season, which was HUGE. Average 100hrs a month for 6-7months. Was put on full time at that company, but as the off season set in, they couldn't afford my salary, so that had a disappointment inducing effect. That was 4 months ago.

I've now been in Perth working non aviation jobs again since then, and am now doing my MECIR, half way through it as I type, and have just got a job as Chief Pilot of another coastal company.

So, it's certainly proving to be both an interesting and surreal career so far, as many others will certainly agree. I hope yours brings you as much if not more fun, experience and lessons as mine has so far, even in its early stages. You seem like you've got the motivation to do it. ;)

Snapper_head
24th Feb 2004, 19:19
Good to hear you have 900 hours Contintal 520 im sure Exmouth C150s are treating you well. Say hi to Rollo for me. Im sure Nick appreciates his name being thrown around PPrune though. How is the 747 sim going.

Snapper

Continental-520
24th Feb 2004, 20:57
Can't have too many hours, mate. Should have more, but could also have ended up with less, I suppose.

Nick's name and position is free for all those newbies to find out by ringing their number or even on the net (not referring to here)...

As for the 744 sim, I don't have it anymore, but I miss it something chronic, and would give a LOT to have it back. Especially now that ATPL studies verge closer...

druglord
24th Feb 2004, 22:01
snapper, how are ya mate? Still in exmouth? When ya getting back up to the kimberley? Hey I'm flying a jet now, ERJ, very nice! went into o'hare the other day, very exciting. I miss cat tower! good luck with the flying.

Snapper_head
25th Feb 2004, 06:12
Mate good to hear from you. No jet for me just light twins. Send me an email and I will fill you in on what has happened with all the boys since you left. Good work getting into an ERJ