PDA

View Full Version : CD RW 'Folders'

Lee-a-Roady Moor
19th Feb 2004, 01:01
In the days before CD etc, it was possible to create separate directories on a floppy.

Now, I've tried to the same thing on a CDRW but, it just doesn't happen.

I was hoping to store my digital photos on a CD in folders/sub folders each with a relevant name. (At present they are on my pc, and gradually taking up more space. Also, I found it necessary to create a new folder/sub folder on my hard drive before moving the photos to the hard drive, because of the same name that the camera gives them all, and the possibility of overwriting previously stored photos).

So back to my question, is it possible or just a non-runner?

Thanks,

LRM

fobotcso
19th Feb 2004, 03:05
Keep trying, Lee-a-Roady Moor

It should be possible to do what you are trying to do. And yes, you do have to avoid losing files by over-writing them with newer ones of the same name. And I too use folders and sub-folders to help with this before I've had a chance to edit and re-name the files from a busy photo call.

Same like floppies only much, much bigger (and therefore slower).

[Much later] As a matter of interest, are you using the XP native RW method or are you using a 3rd-party system such as Roxio Direct CD or Nero's RW system? XP's RW system is write-incompatible with the others. RW CDs formatted using Roxio cannot be written to by the XP RW system. But I imagine that they can all read each other.

Personally, as I move around different levels of Windows, I stick to Roxio RW.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Feb 2004, 09:41
Lee-a-Roady Moor,

Just a thought on how to avoid overwriting duplicated file names. Zip all the files before backing them to the CD-RW. For the Zip File's name use the current date. That way it will not overwrite duplicate files, you get more space on the CD, and you know when this files were added to the CD. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Lee-a-Roady Moor
20th Feb 2004, 02:20
fobotcso

I'm just using XP. Perhaps I should invest in other software - might be easier

Naples Air Center
Thanks for tip. Will give it a try - when I get my RW setup sorted

Thanks

:ok:

fobotcso
20th Feb 2004, 03:00