PDA

View Full Version : dizzyness?

Blinkz
18th Feb 2004, 23:23
hey guys,
am going to have an FAA medical soon and have been reading through whats needed, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be fine on all counts (apart frm the obvious colourblind problems) the only thing that I am cocerned about is the dizzyness thing. about 10 years ago (ish) after spending about 18 hours playing a computer game on a very small screen I made my self dizzy (due to nearly 10 of these hours in the pitch black!) is this going to be a problem in my medical?

Also just before the xmas just gone I was again dizzy for a day after getting up suddenly, I went to the doctor and she just said it was an inner ear infection.

I've been fine after both spells but is this going to be frowned upon in my class1? any info welcome.

jonathanfox1972
18th Feb 2004, 23:57
I dont mean to point out the obvious but I think dizzyness is the least of your worries after spending 18 hours playing a game, Im suprised you were not dehydrated and verging on epilepsy.

Im sure most people would agree with me and see clearly that the dizzy spell was short term and brought on by the excessive gaming.

I find 8 hours working on a laptop as a developer taxing enough on the eyes and circulatory system.

As for getting up suddenly Id say this is not uncommon either. Like the doc said... just an ear infection or the rush of blood out of your head as you got up suddenly from a relaxed sitting position.

my advice... move slowly and refrain from 18 hour stints in darkened rooms... that kind of thing is reserved for gimps :ok:

donaldstan
19th Feb 2004, 01:38
18 hr of computer games and extensive use of computer but yor eyesight is not affected? that's really good. havent checked my eyes lately but hav been using loads and loads of computer (abt 10hr a day). a bit worried if my eyesight doesnt meet d requirements of Class 1.

i'm not aware that the medical test will test for motion sickness and dizzy as well. if yes, please let me knw so i'll get prepared for it.

:confused:

Blinkz
19th Feb 2004, 01:54
the FAA don't test for it, but they ask you about your medical history so am slightly converned.

It wasn't quite 18 hours solid, I stopped for food/toilet breaks :) I was only 13 and it was a good game! lol. I was living in kenya at time so there wasn't much to do but that (rainy season) plus the computer was really old and slow, and had a bad monitor.

my eyesight is fine, its easily within the limits for both JAA and FAA. The reason I am trying to get a FAA class1 is that they are more leanient to colourblindness.

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Feb 2004, 02:03
None of these issues seem to be too serious but you will have to discuss them with your AME who will give guidance on whether they are trivial things which can be dismissed or whether you need an assessment by an ENT consultant.

Best thing is rather than to fret about these things is to take the plunge and get it over and done with.

Best of luck.

FD

Blinkz
19th Feb 2004, 02:06
thanks for the info FD, don't worry I wasn't planning on not telling my AME anything but the truth I was just interested what people thought on the situation.

bentwings
19th Feb 2004, 02:56
don't worry I wasn't planning on not telling my AME anything but the truth

Bad mistake Blinkz. Never volunteer once in a lifetime information like that, it will stick to your medical record like sh*t to a blanket. Too easy to get that stuff on your record and bloody hard to get it off - don't play into the hands of the bureaucrats.
BW

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Feb 2004, 03:47
Bad mistake Blinkz. Never volunteer once in a lifetime information like that, it will stick to your medical record like sh*t to a blanket. Too easy to get that stuff on your record and bloody hard to get it off - don't play into the hands of the bureaucrats.

BW,

That posting does not instill me with confidence.

I would have thought that honesty would be amongst the key attributes which we need to instill and foster in aviation.

FD

mazzy1026
19th Feb 2004, 20:14
I am 21 years old now and when I was about 11 or 12, I fainted suddenly whilst sat in an upright position. I woke up after about 5 seconds and had a bad headache (probably cos I walloped it on something), it just felt like a hangover.

the doc said that there was nothing to worry about and that it was "just one of thos things". He checked me out and discharged me fine.

I'm hoping this wont affect the medical. It shouldn't because nothing like that has ever happened again.

Regards

Lee :cool: