PDA

View Full Version : Un-dual booting ??

Danza
18th Feb 2004, 18:16
Right then, I’ve currently got my laptop as a dual boot system with XP and Redhat. Now for various reasons I don’t need to have linux on anymore, and need to remove it. Can anyone offer me some advice on the best way of removing linux and keeping XP intact?
Cheers.

ORAC
18th Feb 2004, 18:54
Follow the instructions here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fscid%3Dkb%3Ben-gb%3B315224%26ln%3Den-gb) You will then be able to remove the partition, using disk management, and create another FAT or NTFS partition as another drive.

If you want to expand the present C drive to reclaim the spare space you'll have to use something Partition Magic or an equivalent.

Danza
18th Feb 2004, 19:01
Thanks for the quick reply ORAC, I'll give that a go. I've already got partition magic so hopefully it shouldn't cause any problems :)

fobotcso
20th Feb 2004, 21:11
If you used PowerQuest's BootMagic to create the dual-boot setup you may be in for a rough ride.

In the aftermath of removing a dual-boot setup, the Hard Disk's Master Boot Record can be left corrupt. (I've had two incidences of this.)

But there is a solution with Norton Disk Doctor; with this, you can repair the MBR and go on your way rejoicing.

I now keep a boot floppy with NDD specially for this job.