PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge

chiglet
18th Feb 2004, 06:05
Can anyone tell me why a 4Bn tunnel is better than a 1Bn "Bypass"? :confused: To "preserve" our heritage??:rolleyes:
watp,iktch

tony draper
18th Feb 2004, 06:16
One is supprised they are not having said tunnel dug in India by cheap labour and shipped across.

Blacksheep
18th Feb 2004, 12:29
It doesn't do much does it? Just sits there brooding mysteriously and no-one knows what it was for. Even the Druids used to ponder on its ancient mysteries and wonder who built it and why. For all the use it is we should reduce it to stone chippings for the new motorway, that would at least make it useful for something.

Capn Notarious
18th Feb 2004, 17:00
One is supprised they are not having said tunnel dug in India by cheap labour and shipped across.

Now that phrase reminded me of Spike Milligan: and put a grin on me dial.

BlueWolf
18th Feb 2004, 17:07
The McGillicuddy Serious Party - equivalent of the Monster Raving Loony Party - once built a replica of Stonehenge just outside Hamilton, in the North Island. It was made entirely from old fridges, and was appropriately named "Fridgehenge."

They used it (to the great chagrin and consternation of local God-bothering types) to observe the summer solstice, and also to pay homage to a couple of Egyptian statues which were on display at a Hamilton museum.

The altar stone was an old chest freezer, upon which was sacrificed a large chocolate fish.

I bet the real one never did anything that exciting.

But hey, dig holes under it anyway....you never know what you may find. It does what it does mostly because of underground water. Tunneling could be fun.

under_exposed
18th Feb 2004, 17:29
Wow, talk abot inflation/cost overrun. On the news yesterday evening it was only 200m for the tunnel.

ORAC
18th Feb 2004, 17:46
They're like any builders, that was just the estimate. Seen the latest price for the new Scottish parliament building?.....

DSR10
18th Feb 2004, 17:50
The enquiry is to take 6 months and costing a million or so.
Can you believe that they consider "Druids" to be a serious
participents - who really gives a monkeys....move the stones to Hyde Park...

Jerricho
18th Feb 2004, 17:56
I always wondered why they built it so close to the road!?

GroundGirl
18th Feb 2004, 18:27
Why not move it to the millenium dome? Save wasting even more money - bet it would be a lot chaeper to stick the m on the back of a low loader :)

Flying Lawyer
18th Feb 2004, 19:11
Apparently they've now opted for a fly-over as the cheapest option.
Work has already started.
Click here (http://www.caaviation.com/gallery/pictures/284.jpg).

Bo Nalls
18th Feb 2004, 19:50
Seems like a waste of money to me (320mil I've seen quoted) just to make stonehenge look pretty when the town I live in is crying out for a bypass but does not have the funding (Elgin on the single carriageway A96 between Inverness/Aberdeen).

Incipient Sinner
18th Feb 2004, 20:48
You're quite right Bo.

I for one would pay good money not to have to look at Elgin as I drive from Aberdeen to inverness.

VFE
18th Feb 2004, 21:26
Some rather provocative postings here. I recommend the English Heritage discussion document "Sustaining the Historic Environment" for those wondering why such sites should be preserved.

The British Government's Department for Transport has now backtracked on its original plan to bulldoze the tunnel through the world heritage site using a method called cut-and-cover. Instead, the tunnel will now be bored underground. But the tunnel proposed is still highly damaging and Save Stonehenge is continuing to fight it.

For the Pagan community the Stonehenge World Heritage site is a very precious piece of spiritual and religious heritage not least because it is an extensive landscape of ancient features around, and related to, Stonehenge itself.

No other country in the world would contemplate treating a site which is a world icon in such a way.

Religious beliefs aside this "development" is an insult to many people who believe in preserving our heritage. We must not let saving a few minutes of motorists' time become more important than preserving 5000 years of history.

VFE.

Ozzy
18th Feb 2004, 22:05
It's old, I mean it's seen its day hasn't it. Knock it down and build a big bloody motorway instead:E

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
18th Feb 2004, 22:12
Ozzy Maybe they should do that with LA...Oh wait a minute, they already have :p

VFE I have to agree with you, even though I also have to admit I know nothing about this plan.

Pilgrim101
18th Feb 2004, 22:15
I have it on good authority that the Druids built Stonehenge as a VRP for Boscombe Down and Old Sarum :8

Don't worry about our heritage though, it's safe in John Prescott's hands:p Ooops, dropped it !

noisy
18th Feb 2004, 22:37
It is a well known fact that Stonehenge has the highest concentrations of nose piercings outside Camden Town and Avebury.

Fact.
:rolleyes:

VFE
19th Feb 2004, 00:05
Many of the comments on this thread except a small few, whilst witty, just show how apathetic and indifferent many people here have become and confirm the reasons why I rarely post in Jet Blast anymore.

The days of informed, pungnacious but healthy debate are few and far between these days. :rolleyes:

VFE.

Blacksheep
19th Feb 2004, 10:57
You're right VFE, folks around here these days don't even recognize irony...

AA SLF
19th Feb 2004, 13:08
Yer bloody damn Brits better leave me cathedral alone or I will call the Thunder and the LIghtening down upon ya ! !

In all seriousness, every time I visit the UK, I make a trip out to me cathedral. Why can't they just move the road some metres NORTH of its current location? Oh yes, north of the visitors centre AND the car park, I mean.

Strange damn Brits -- they can't see the obvious solution ! !

Brits - iffin ya mess with Stonehenge, yer ALL CRAZY. That is the second most visited place in Britain after the Queens potty .. :p

Rollingthunder
19th Feb 2004, 13:25
Agree, you don't mess with things like this. Move the damn road somewhere else or just don't build it. Must be a brainless bloody committee working on this.

The Nr Fairy
19th Feb 2004, 16:03
I heard that the reason Stonehenge is in the state it is is because the original builders said they were off to the quarry for a few more bits, and that was the last anyone saw of them . . .

chiglet
20th Feb 2004, 04:31
Well they were Welsh, boyo..prolly their coracles sank :rolleyes:
watp,iktch

no reds
20th Feb 2004, 09:51
how wrong you are my friend,
the second most visited place in Britain is my bedroom while l`m looking for me socks . . don`t even think about the first most visited . . .

AA SLF
20th Feb 2004, 10:46
no reds - My apologies for me ignorence. Prolly due to the fact that I only read Page-3 of the Sun ... :E

BlueWolf
20th Feb 2004, 15:15
Indeed not Fairy, it's in that state because that's how it was built. It's meant to be like that.
There have been at least two attempts in the last two hundred years to "straighten" and "repair" Stonehenge, both of which have failed. It aint broke, and it don't need fixed.

Henge is a few things. It's an observatory and a calendar, sure; but it's also a workshop and clinic, and it's also a generator and amplifier.

Most, though not all, of what it does, is supported by underground water, which gives off it's own traceable signature. The stones placed above ground at the site of certain springs and streams below ground are sized and shaped specifically to interact with these water sources. Put a solid object of the right shape and the right density into an energy field, and it will resonate. Think of how a radio circuit works, and extrapolate the principle.

Goodness, but we like to think we know so much nowadays, don't we?

The Nr Fairy
20th Feb 2004, 16:05
Hand over head, going "whooooooosh".

As someone who lives about a 20 minute drive from said stones, and who has had a closer communion with them than a lot of people (and not only because I was a copper in 1988 when there was a big bunfight there) I like them for lots of reasons.

Heliport
20th Feb 2004, 16:55
BlueWolf

Sometimes you have to be a Brit to understand Brit humour or, in this case, know the habits of the average Brit builder.
Try reading Nr Fairy's post again with that in mind. ;)

Ric Capucho
20th Feb 2004, 17:10
If you remember, I have an ingenius scheme for building prefabricated tunnels above ground, Herr D.

One is setting up a major multi-national corporation, building prefab tunnels in highly optimised factories, and then getting them shipped all over the world intact. The plans for the world's longest ship are nearly finalised: it's going to be about 50 miles long, as we've secured a big tender for tunnelling between two Japanese islands, the names of which I've forgotten.

The straight tunnel sections will be built in Toulouse, France, and the curves will be built near Chester. The overall tunnel will be assembled in Toulouse, of course, as that's where my headquarters will be. Also, there'll be more straight bits than curved bits, so it's only fair.

Of course, the curved sections will be airlifted to Toulouse to save time and money. Airbus have already designed a curved Superguppy, which is going to be a real plane-spotters dream; Boeing were a major disappointment as they couldn't understand that tunnel 'curves' are not 90 straight angles. Daft sods. Still, they nearly won the bid when they bunged me (allegedly) a few tens of millions to keep me trap shut. Bloody yank government rumbled them for making bungs on a similar project, so they had to pull my bung offer. So I ended up making my decision based on fact.

Ahh well.

Anyways, once assembled, the fully intact tunnels will be shipped (as I said) to the final destination, and then inserted into the earth. Our European precision expertise will ensure that the inserted bit will travel through the earth, and come out precisely at the other end, thereby meeting up with the road or bridge or whatever.

In order to facilitate the insertion and natural tunnelling, we've designed a special sharp end, sharp enough to cut yer finger on, which will part the earth really really nicely. Of course, the sharp end is detachable, and even reusable on other tunnelling projects. The end will simply drop off the end of the tunnel when the light is reached.

If only Brunel could see us now. He would weep with pride and joy.

Ric

Anthony Carn
20th Feb 2004, 18:30
Why don't we sell it to the Welsh ? (though it could already be in Wales for all I know, such is my lack of interest in either)

They're into all this white nightgown, long beards and wierd chanting stuff.

That way we could recover some of the cash we've poured into said "country".

tony draper
20th Feb 2004, 19:12
Folks can get really het up about stones, one remembers when some Jockistanies came down and filched the coronation stone in the fifties, twas just a souvenir brung back by Eddie Longshanks after going up to give them their annual arse kicking one year.
We had a right job getting it back, spoils of war and all that.

:rolleyes:

phnuff
20th Feb 2004, 21:50
Stonehenge ?? I thought it had been trampled on by dwarfs ????

Ric Capucho
20th Feb 2004, 21:53
I always thought it was a failed prehistoric wristwatch project.

Ric

BlueWolf
21st Feb 2004, 06:26
Heliport, Fairy: mea culpa....I'm only part Brit and 'tis a very long time indeed since I had anything to do with the construction industry there.
Also my sensors have detected that I may have suffered a minor temporary humour systems failure:O

OneWorld22
21st Feb 2004, 07:02
phnuff, I too thought this thread was about the classic Spinal Tap scene......

"And oh how they danced, the little children of Stonehenge!!"

no reds
22nd Feb 2004, 08:41
100 quid up front and we`ll tarmac it to 9ins honest guv
Brendan

Charlie Foxtrot India
23rd Feb 2004, 00:11
But One World 22, you're not as confused as he is.....