PDA

View Full Version : A man after me own heart.

tony draper
18th Feb 2004, 00:56
He got the right stuff.

http://www.onion.com/4006/opinion1.html

:rolleyes:

The Nr Fairy
18th Feb 2004, 00:59
Don't you have to be a left-handed person with a mental health problem who plays web FLASH games trying to get clothes off girls to be a proper chopper pilut ?

Jerricho
18th Feb 2004, 01:01
Did I not read somewhere that Helicpoters flew 'cause they were so ugly the earth repelled them? Just what I heard. :p

sprocket
18th Feb 2004, 03:13
Did I not read somewhere that Helicpoters flew 'cause they were so ugly the earth repelled them?

Did you mean the helicopters or the pilots?

Blacksheep
18th Feb 2004, 11:48
Many moons ago, when I was posted to Northolt, I wondered why a unit with six helicopters needed half an Instrument Technican and what the other half of me was supposed to do without a GPMG to play with.

The man's right, what do helicopters need instruments for? You can't run out of fuel 'cause we filled them right up to the top every morning and they were never tasked with a job that needed even half that much for the round trip. Artificial horizon? What bloody use is it when you have a knob attached that can wind the horizon bar up and down the face? Directional Gyro? We always followed the M40 and turned left at the Stokenchurch Radio Tower, or else we made a direct routing to the Southhall Gasometer, then straight ahead to the river, turn left and follow it to Battersea. If you tried any other way there were loud screaming noises in the radio - some gibbering idiot blethering on about a terminal control area or something. The beauty of helicopters is that when you're temporarily unsure of your position you can stop, take a look around and have a butcher's at the map.

No, I'm afraid Instruments take all the fun out of helicopter flying. It was much more fun on the khaki ones, firing the GPMG out of the door at where there were supposed to be 'bandits' on the ground. Great fun is helicopters.

tony draper
18th Feb 2004, 15:06
One had a helicopter sim where one could do that Blacksheep, skimming at treetop level hosing down villagers and rocketing grass huts with the stirring sound of "Ride Of the Valkuries" blasting ones ears, most satisdying it was.
Bit more exciting that batting penguins about the place, but one does not think Flappy would approve of such a sim.

:rolleyes:

cookie99
18th Feb 2004, 15:42
Choppers are sick or at least I was always sick in them.

As regards to firing machine guns out of choppers, on my trips to South East Asia in the late 60's and early 70's I watched countless gunners blasting away from our choppers but never once did I ever see one hit anyone or anything of importance but it sure made us passengers feel better.