PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Brown

pure digital
18th Feb 2004, 01:50
[QUOTE] went down quicker than a home sick mole[QUOTE]

Well if they move Newcastle Brown ale production to Gateshead, will they call it Gateshead Brown ale?....................

Jerricho
18th Feb 2004, 01:52
Mr Draper............bet you can't not respond to this thread.

Boss Raptor
18th Feb 2004, 02:33
Try shouting 'Noocassal Broon' he might take some notice

tony draper
18th Feb 2004, 02:58
To be brutally frank one was never a great fan of the dog,journey into space,milk of amnesia, call it what you will, one has of course sank a few in ones life,but given the choice one prefered Newcastle Exhibition Draught Ale, truly that was mothers milk.
Besides, aquaintences who still inbibe inform one that Newcastle Brown Ale is but a pale shadow of its former self.
One admits it was a strange drink, one assumes twas manufactured out of hops water ect as any other ale, yet it had the strangest effect on people,especialy southeners, one has seen the mildest mannered people turn into raving lunatics after just three bottles,the local hospital all had Brown ale wards, where unfortunateswho overindulged could be detoxified, but that was the real stuff, in my day the bottles had a half life stamped on the label, not a sell by date.

Jerricho
18th Feb 2004, 03:06
one has seen the mildest mannered people turn into raving lunatics after just three bottles

As opposed to those from the Tyne area that don't require three bottles.......... ;)

lanciaspezzata
18th Feb 2004, 03:13
Is it significant that the topic right next to this one is called "Hello and welcome to the Mental Health Hotline"?

Boss Raptor
18th Feb 2004, 03:29
See told you...Geordie and good hearing with it :p

MMEMatty
18th Feb 2004, 03:34
Matty has recently enjoyed a tipple of the broon and finds it refreshing, although i know consider myself a traitor and will promptly assemble a firing squad for dawn tomorrow.

Matty

Boy_From_Brazil
18th Feb 2004, 04:11
God knows how it happened, but there is a pub in Rio selling Newcastle Brown on draught. I think it tastes bloody marvellous after drinking the local, very uninspiring, Skol and Bohemia.

The beer travels well. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the Geordies.

BFB

Crepello
18th Feb 2004, 06:10
Yep, a few places have it on draught around here, though I can't get used to asking for "a pint of New-castle" rather than "a Newkie Brown". Mind you, given some of the local 'lite' competition, I'm surprised it's not a best seller...

Sadly, where it's only in bottles, it's only in small bottles. Kinda defeats the point. :sad:

"Wake up to a firing squad at dawn" - heh Matty, that'd be a fitting slogan.

Blacksheep
18th Feb 2004, 12:05
I too rather like a drop of 'Ex' rather than 'Loonatic's Broth' or 'Jorney inta Spee-ass' as it was colloquially called. I know mr. draper will not be pleased to hear this but the nicest drop of bottled ale made in the North East of England is a product of Sunderland called Vaux Double Maxim. When I were a lad we never had poncy bottles of wine on the table with our Sunday Dinner, it was Double Maxims all round, cut 50/50 with Lowcock's lemonade for the twelve and unders. Loonatics Broth was for the Harrison family who lived further down the street at the 'scabby' end.

[And before anyone mentions Blacksheep Ale - pure nectar though it is, thats not from the North East proper, its from way down south in the Yorkshire Dales.]

Wing Commander Fowler
18th Feb 2004, 17:42
Ah.... So "Newquay Brown" has nothing at all to do with Cornwall then??? The light gets a little brighter.......

:eek:

DishMan
18th Feb 2004, 22:24
Nah
WingCo,

That would be "Newquay Steam"

Foodbomber
20th Feb 2004, 07:25
While Vaux breweries has gone for ever, the Double Maxim of Blacksheeps post has survived, it is now being brewed by two ex members of the Vaux board.

http://www.dmbc.org.uk/homepage.htm

Not a lot of help when living in Borneo I know!:O

Hate to admit to agreeing with Draper, but Exhibiton is better than Brown. Though I much preferred 'a pint of Scotch'. ;)

But when a young lad in a far southern city, drinking bottled Brown showed where you came from. Especially when you asked to drink it from half pint glass 'without handles please'.

tony draper
20th Feb 2004, 08:02
Historicaly Newcastle Brown Ale could not travel, as it was unpasturised, it went off in about four days, you would often see men pour our a glass, take a sip grimace and take it back, the breweries accepted this and took back all bottles that had gone over.
That was one reason why real brown ale was only available around the Newcastle area at one time.
They started pasturising batches in the late sixties I think, then you would occasionaly see it advertized in london pubs, but real brown ale drinkers always said the pasturised stuff was not the same.
I could not argue with that as I was not a brown ale drinker,Newcastle Brown Ale never suited my palate as it always seemed to have a slightly burned taste to me, as for Double Maxim, that was even worse, was mostly a draught beer drinker during my drinking career.
Newcastle Brown Ale did have a fearfull reputation though, and it was thougherly deserved, twas well named maniacs broth.
:rolleyes:

DanAir1-11
20th Feb 2004, 10:44
Have to admit to being a bit of a dog-walker (yes I know what's coming next!) Spent a few afternoons on Tyneside, (or should that be Toonside for the United fans out there?) enjoying more than a few scoops of dog (yes I also realise how this sounds to the non initiated). IMHO, the worlds greates two beers reside in the North of England, Robinsons Best Bitter and Dog.

Geez how I 'd go a pint or three right now . . . .

MMEMatty
20th Feb 2004, 18:21
What about Pale ALe? I once saw it advertised (admittedly in Beamish Museum) and wondered what it tasted like. Sadly the pub there no longer serve it, anyone care to comment? or is it too far before ppruners time?

Matty

"Waking up to a firing squad at dawn"

tony draper
20th Feb 2004, 19:00
Newcastle Breweries used to make a Pale Ale called Amber Ale, twas sold in the same bottles as Newky brown, just a different coloured label as I recal very popular with the ladies it was,dunno if it is still in existance.
The full title,of pale ale was "India Pale Ale,or "Indian Pale Ale" don't quite recal which now, dunno the relevance of the India bit.
For someone who went on the waggon more than twenty years ago, seems strange that one is the proon expert on ale history.
:rolleyes:

Stockpicker
20th Feb 2004, 19:11
One can still get Deuchars IPA I believe - never liked it meself, though.

Thinks: hooray, Friday, can have beer today!