PDA

View Full Version : QF A330 question.... parking

SkySista
17th Feb 2004, 15:19
Really dumb question, but I've always wanted to know this....

Have watched a few times when the Cityflyer comes in at Perth, and have been wondering how exactly do they know when they're parking on the line?

Sometimes it looks as though they're going visually, other times (day & night) there's a marshall with paddles or the light batons. Or the black square thing that faces away from the window, is that a TV monitor so they can see how well they're steering? ;) I've heard a few things said, like a camera on the nosewheel, but I don't really think that's the case...

Anyone care to comment on such a silly question? :D

Sky

Keg
17th Feb 2004, 17:56
Sydney International Terminal is starting to roll out a system that doesn't matter if it is the Captain or the F/O who is taxiing in. It's on at least one gate that I know of (31 I think!). Still, SOPs say that the Captain shall park the aeroplane!! :D

SkySista
17th Feb 2004, 21:19
Thanks guys!

I had figured it'd be something to that effect, I just couldn't work out why they'd sometimes use marshalls and sometimes not. The system being inoperative explains it. Quite cool, really. Wish I'd taken more notice last time I taxied past those gates though.

Now if only they had one for my garage!!! :E

Sky

Keg
18th Feb 2004, 04:09
Funny you should say that SS. I actually utilise a similar method when parking my car in our carport. When the brick pillar to the left is 'square' on to me (IE, I can only see the front of it and I can't see any of bricks on the side face of the pillar) I know I'm in the right place to stop so I can still get my kids out of the back seat! :ok:

MoFo
18th Feb 2004, 05:38
The system in Darwin is low tech but works just as well.

They nail a 3 x 4 lump of timber on a back board. One side is painted green, the other is red. When you reach the point where you cant see either color you are on the line.

Should work in the garage at home too.

kumul1
18th Feb 2004, 11:49
Speaking of garage parking, a mate of mine, ( not any more ), used a tennis ball hanging on a string from the garage roof, and stopped when the ball made contact with the windscreen,........that was until the string was moved!! :O