PDA

View Full Version : Australian Professional Pilot’s Association

spinout
17th Feb 2004, 09:34
How do we get one union to represent all professional pilots?

AIPA is falling apart from within and a lot of people have lost faith in the AFAP!

Its time these two unions got together before the industry goes down the Gurgler….

Suggestion…
APPA as the head controlling body
State Branches made up of representatives of all the Pilot Councils that represent different companies.

:(

amos2
17th Feb 2004, 10:38
...and pigs will fly!

But best of luck! :p

Sonny Hammond
17th Feb 2004, 14:38
Go ahead and knock it.

BUT this is probably the only way that professional pilots have anyway of getting any clout in the boardroom.

All professional pilots covered by one union....mmm....imagine how EBA's might play out then eh.

Where do I send my subs?

DJ737
17th Feb 2004, 14:45
You will have to find a lot of professional pilots first :p :zzz:

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

Kaptin M
17th Feb 2004, 14:55
Whom or what is APPA?
Nothing comes up under that name on a search.

"a lot of people have lost faith in the AFAP" - a union is only as good as its members are willing to make it, because the union IS the membership.

The AFAP, is not a "stand alone" object - unlike the TWU, the ACTU, and many other blue collar organisations, the Federation is NOT top heavy with full time paid staffers. It relies in the main on pilots volunteering their time to organise and attend meetings, present proposals, and instigate the mechanisms to implement those changes, if approved by a majority.

This is where Hawke, Abeles, Kelty, etc fell on their own sword in "that year"- they simply did not understand that "The Federation" was the pilots who were speaking.
So to say that "a lot of people have lost faith in the AFAP" is showing an ignorance of exactly what constitutes the AFAP.
The pilot members!

And THAT is what has kept the AFAP strong since the savage war raged on "it" (us) 25 years ago.

Good Luck if you think you can form another union within the next 10 years, that will have even 1/2 the support the AFAP has.
If you want to help stop the industry "going down the Gurgler", join the AFAP and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE about it!

contrails03
17th Feb 2004, 18:34
I agree with you Kaptin M. Your union is only as strong as its members. I'm suprised at the number of guys I speak to who are not a member of the feds, simply stating that the feds let them down at the last EBA negotiations etc.... If you want the union to do a better job join them, and become active. Management loves an inactive union and will try to wield the sword more knowing the union is less active.

So like Kaptin M I encourage all who are not members to become members (it is tax deductable) and protect your own and your fellow "professional pilots" conditions.

Contrails:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::