View Full Version : QF long haul

littlemissmel
17th Feb 2004, 07:57
Can anyone tell me about QF long haul approx how many nights away from base you get a month etc or any other similar information? thankyou :)

Q-Tee
17th Feb 2004, 12:30
Thats like asking how long is a piece of string ;)

It depends on your base, your seniority, the type of trips you want, whether you are on reserve etc.

we currently have single day trips up to 14 day trips.

The most junior trips are usually around 9-11 day trips, mainly to LHR or FRA. If you were new to syd base, that is basically all you would get.

Melbourne base I think their longest trip is 4 days to LAX

Perth Base their longest trip is 9 days to CDG. But I believe most of their trips are 3-4 days away.

There are so many factors in how many nights away you could expect, but if you are junior, expect to be working 38 out of a 56 day roster.... asyou are only entitled to 18 days off per roster, and the more junior you are, the more likely you are to be working more of the roster.

littlemissmel
17th Feb 2004, 13:04
thankyou for that info :)

ozskipper
17th Feb 2004, 15:17
Might sound like a silly question - however, I presume working more hours on the roster would equate to more money?

Q-Tee
17th Feb 2004, 22:28
Ozskipper .... no, youre arent right there...

The way it works is most of us get rostered approx 185 hours for every 56 day roster .... the trick is some senior people may do very high density flying..... eg a five day trip SYD-BNE-SIN(1 day) SIN-DRW-CNS (1 Day)CSN-DRW-SIN (1day) SIN-DRW-ADL-SYD(1day) ... with rest it is a five day trip, but it is worth about 57hours..... ie you only have to do three of them plus an auckland day trip and you have completed your rostered requirements .... that equates to 40 days off out of 56 !! SO even though you work the same hours as someone who gets only 18 days off in a roster, you get it all over and done with in half the time.... so you get a lot more time off.

Junior crew tend to get longer trips that are worth less hours.... a little more money (maybe) with allowances, but a lot less days off.

(oh and that trip is an example --- it used to exist but doesnt anymore, but it illustrates how it works !)

ozskipper
18th Feb 2004, 04:00
Ahh, I see.....

Nice one - thanks Q-Tee....

Its quite interesting see how the industry operates, very different from what I'm used to.

40 days off in a roster - that'd be very nice!

vdd
18th Feb 2004, 16:06
Hi Guys

Hope this isn't a silly question, but how long are you a "junior" for at QF long haul?

When do you become senior enough to get the decent flights or to destinations that you like i.e. London, LAX, Japan (that's if these are considered the goodies at QF!:O )

Thanks and happy flying Biscuit Chucker.

PS: I heard that Frankfurt isn't a popular choice.