PDA

View Full Version : Lefthandedness

seacue
17th Feb 2004, 08:39
What is the incidence of lefthandedness?

I understand that it varies between ethnic groups, etc.

In the US election between G. Bush, pere, and Clinton, both candidates were left-handed. How likely was this? ie: What is incidence of lefthandedness among American males of western European descent, the pool from which "all" serious presidental candidates come?

How about lefthadedness in British politics?

[Is this trivial and pointless enough to fit in the Great Thread.]

sc

Unwell_Raptor
17th Feb 2004, 08:44
One or two posters on JB seem to think that I am both gauche and sinister.

ChrisVJ
17th Feb 2004, 09:16
If that was not a set up then U_R reply is a classic. Maybe it should be repeated on the pun thread.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Feb 2004, 09:39
...but on the other hand...

BlueDiamond
17th Feb 2004, 09:42
Of the eleven people at a small gathering the other night, eight were lefties. I think it's unusual to get a percentage as high as that though.

pigboat
17th Feb 2004, 10:40
I'm amphibious. I can use either hand. ;)

Elliot Moose
17th Feb 2004, 11:01
At the northern company that I used to work for we noted a huge number of lefties amongst the pilot group in particular (yours truly included). Something on the order of 50-60% at one point. The general population only figures down around 10% if memory serves from waaayy back at Uni. I have heard that Canada in general there are more than average, but I have never seen the actual stats though.

tony draper
17th Feb 2004, 11:28
In my day left handedness would be beaten out of sprogs, but alas, standards have slipped everywhere.
Dammed perverts.
:rolleyes:

Apparently left footedness predominates among the Vatican staff.
:uhoh:

Slasher
17th Feb 2004, 12:54
Im left handed which means it acesses the creative (right) side of the brain.

Explains why us lefteys are much sort-after as bedmates! :=

Anthony Carn
17th Feb 2004, 15:27
The very high percentage amongst pilots is something I've noticed as well. I can't say I've noticed if they're better or worse pilots compared to right-handers.

Maybe I should try to organise some taxpayers money to do a "meaningful" study. :rolleyes:

ShyTorque
17th Feb 2004, 16:07
Scientific studies have already shown that Lefthanders do make better pilots.

They are also better car drivers and football players.

They ARE better lovers and more considerate partners. They are greatly sought after, not only in the trouser department but also because of their wit, repartee and other superior character traits.

And of course, we are also extremely modest! :p

Evening Star
17th Feb 2004, 16:44
The 'meaningful studies' are already done, and the results are interesting. Apparently left handed people are more likely to be either a genius (Einstein, apparently) or depraved criminal (Jack the Ripper). Something to do with making more use of the creative right hand side of the brain, leaving only how the resulting creativity is put to use. It therefore follows that the distribution of left handedness will be adnormal, with a higher proportion in better educated professions requiring flexibility of thought. By definition that would include pilots, so the proportion observed is not a surprise. BlueDiamond's gathering of lefties may therefore be not that unusual if the group of presumably like minded people was self selecting.

BTW, I am left handed, and like to think of myself as the genius variety. However, I can bat either hand in cricket, and sometimes choose to change mid-over. This is, of course, distinctly unsporting and therefore counts as my depraved criminal tendancy.

I feel sorry for TD's generation, having all that creativity beaten out of him:D.

IFTB
17th Feb 2004, 16:59
N 1 son is Right Handed in writing and most ather things but Left Handed in Golf and Icehockey. :confused:

I am Right Handed allover and an ace pilot. :cool:

edited to add a question:
How can you concider yourself to be a be a Right Handed pilot if you are on one of these FBW with sidestick Air thingies?

Unwell_Raptor
17th Feb 2004, 17:01
IFTB -

You are clearly both adroit and dexterous.

IFTB
17th Feb 2004, 17:05
Where's me dictionary????

Ehhhhhhh,

Thanks U_R :{

Ascend Charlie
17th Feb 2004, 17:14
OK, we need a statistician to collate all these things that pilots are subject to:

Left - handed (I'm not)
Talented pilot (definitely)
Creative (Not)
Divorced (once)
Great in the sack (......... err...once)
Natural leader (....... well, my annual report once said that many people followed me, but apparently that was only out of curiosity..)

What else should be on the list?:confused:

Rhodie
17th Feb 2004, 19:12
Also a leftie..

Play darts and cricket right, snooker and shoot left...

Brilliant pilot (naturally) :cool:

Also known as a:

Suave and Debonair

Man of the air.....!!!

(Uh, the girlfriend refers to Swave and de-boner, but she makes up for it in other ways.... :E)

R

Bre901
17th Feb 2004, 21:35
Read some time ago that left-handers had a shorter life expectancy, but a quick look at Google (http://www.google.fr/search?q=left.handers+life.expectancy&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=fr&btnG=Recherche+Google) seems to disprove that.

Coconuts
17th Feb 2004, 22:07
My dad had the same experience as Draper, the bl**dy Christian brothers beat the left handedness out of him, think they thought it was something to do with the divil or something.

Just know my dad would never discuss his schooling besides telling me that, personally I think it had lasting affects. Flippin sadistic weirdos :mad:

Coco

LordGrumpy
17th Feb 2004, 22:23
They ARE better lovers and more considerate partners. They are greatly sought after, not only in the trouser department but also because of their wit, repartee and other superior character traits.

That ShyTorque is absolutely spot on. Why I drink and write with both hands. One use to be conceited and now one is perfect.

Time for a shufftey Lady G and one will tell an amusing tale at the same time.

Capt.KAOS
17th Feb 2004, 22:45
In football, left-handers or -leggers are considered to be the most creative and genius players, at the other hand they're also considered to be hard to handle and full of themselves ;)

HugMonster
17th Feb 2004, 22:50
In the less-misspent parts of my youth, I was a fencer to a fairly high standard, representing my country in the 70's. I found the left-handed opponents to be by far the most difficult to fight.

Part of this may be around the fact that the weapon is held in the opposite hand from the more normal and the target area is on the opposite side from that, but that shouldn't matter. I certainly found them to be fairly creative about the sport. However, I didn't conduct any particular study on the phenomenon - it just left me with a deep desire to avoid fighting southpaws.

BombayDuck
17th Feb 2004, 23:00
a friend of mine used to bat left handed, bowl with his left - and throw from the deep with his Right!

Odd, I say!

HugMonster
17th Feb 2004, 23:11
Come to think of it, I deal cards left-handed.

Chess
17th Feb 2004, 23:52
Well I'm right handed in most things but I shoot a rifle left handed and box left handed. The rifle action is an eye thing. My left eye is stronger. I never thought of those things till just now!

- Chess

IFTB
17th Feb 2004, 23:54
"My left eye is stronger"

Does your eye pull the trigger then?

Strange...

Chess
18th Feb 2004, 00:40
Nah but it does focus better then the right!

Not that I'd hit anything anyway!

Gainesy
18th Feb 2004, 00:46
As I'm right-handed, I typed this left-handed to qualify for this thread.

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2004, 06:34
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.......

tony draper
19th Feb 2004, 06:40
One can type and do stuff with either right of left hand,which is just as well as ones middle one is useless.
:rolleyes:

mattpilot
19th Feb 2004, 07:04
after conducting a 'scientific observation', i came to the conclusion that 'lefties' are full of shiat! :} :}