View Full Version : Re Qf Short List

QANTASTIC
17th Feb 2004, 05:24
Hi GUYS !! I belive its that time that we are going to be expiring from the current QF short list. Has anybody been contacted? Has anybody been in touch with QF HR. I have called and got a different answear every time. The last response was "we are having meetings with the Managment team and working out numbers" That was 2 weeks ago. I am not sure what they are going to do but they have to do somthing soon as a lot of short list expire in the next 2-4 weeks !! I do beive there are not to many on the short list as a lot have gone accross to MAM !! Any one know or heard anythng further?? Or has anyone called HR ...Lets share the news and try help each other.

ozskipper
17th Feb 2004, 08:40
Hey...

There's been a couple of posts recently....

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showth...threadid=117939

and

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118617

I don't necessarily think that the shortlist numbers have been greatly reduced by others taking up MAM positions - from what I gather there are only a handful that were selected.

604chic
18th Feb 2004, 09:28
Do you just ring QF Head Office and asked to be put through to HR? Or is their a specific number that others may wish to share?

OZcabincrew
18th Feb 2004, 10:55
Hi!

Hopefully the guys left on the shortlist hear something soon. I don't know about SYD or MEL but there were only 10 people who were offered positions through MAM to be based in Perth! My shortlist would've expired on the 27th Feb, but i luckily was offered one of the Perth positions. I wonder what's going to happen, whether they'll just extend you all for another 6 months???? I just called the admin number which was in the phone book and asked to speak to HR and they were very nice, although it is hard to get any info out of them sometimes, but some is better than none I guess!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

ozskipper
18th Feb 2004, 14:48
How short are we talking Biscuit Chucker? 2 weeks or 4 weeks (or less than both?)

Q-Tee
18th Feb 2004, 15:03
I was given 6 days notice ..... and I had to move from London !!!:}

OZcabincrew
18th Feb 2004, 23:31
I was given 3 weeks notice. I was expecting though 2 or 3 days notice so 3 weeks was great!

ozskipper
19th Feb 2004, 14:16
Hmm, well not that I need to worry about it right now, but I can't leave my employer unless I give two weeks notice. So hopefully that will be ok - I remember indicating that on the application form. I'll worry about when they call.

Thanks for the advice lads....

GalleyHag
27th Feb 2004, 18:28
I spoke with a few ground staff today and some of them applied as internal's back in November 2002 and were put onto the waitlist like everyone else. WELL, they told me they received advice from HR that ground schools will be commencing in July 2004 and they will be advised in June 2004 of a start date. They didnt know if it was long or short but it would be permanent as QF internal applicants go into permanent positions. So things may finally be looking up for some.

Cart_tart
27th Feb 2004, 21:49
Hi everyone -
Received this email today - hopefully it might be good news in the near future! At least they didn't scrap it like I heard they were going to!
CT
x

I refer to the correspondence dated 7 August 2003, which stated that your
Flight Attendant application would be placed on our short list until 27
February 2004. I am now pleased to advise you that your application on
this shortlist has been extended to 31st March 2004.

When vacancies arise within this period, we review our short list and
consider people from it, on the basis of criteria we are looking for at
the time.

As the short list will be continued it is important that you keep all your
documentation such as First Aid Certificate and Passport up to date.
Should your personal details, or documentation change these may easily be
updated by amending your application form directly via
www.cabincrew.staffcv.com.

Recruitment & Promotion will advice you in writing prior to the 31st March
2004 as to the status of your application. You should be aware this may
include the finalising of your current application and a requirement to
re-apply for future positions when advertised.

Yours sincerely

Recruitment & Promotions Co-ordinator,
Customer Services

ozskipper
28th Feb 2004, 13:03
Hmm, I'm slightly confused (not uncommon though!) - you're already working for QF right? (Cart_Tart)

So if I read that email correctly, you've had an extension until 31 March (which is when my shortlist period ends also) and at that stage they will let you know whether you'll be kept on the list or not?

Franck
28th Feb 2004, 13:41
Hi guys

The last paragraph in Cart Tart's post may well be that HR is trying to prepare some or all for future rejection. I hope this is not the case for all those on the short list.

Here's to some positive news before the end of 03/04 for all concerned ;)

ozskipper
28th Feb 2004, 16:03
Hmm, I suspected as much..... Oh well, wait and see I guess.... Easy come, easy go....

AIRBUST
28th Feb 2004, 16:03
Yes, it sounds alittle like they maybe trying to let us down gently. Galley hag suggested that something maybe happening in July but it seems that it is for internal recruitment. A friend who is a casual with MAM told me the other day she is lucky to get 30 hours flying per month. It seems that not much is happening in QF however i do hear of expansion in international ? Any one got any ideas?
Positive thinking lets wait to get our letters in March. Fingers and toes crossed.

Flying_Sarah747
28th Feb 2004, 18:51
I got the same letter today! Although I'm with BA now, and I totally love it here sooooooooooo much, I really miss home, so I'm glad they didn't scrap the list, but it sounds like in March they may, so I'm not holding my breath for anything, and I don't know if I could leave my job here now either, cause I love it and I love the people I'm working with.

I saw some QF cabin crew last night in FRA, but we were rushing off to our hotel or else I woud have chatted with them! It really does make me home sick when I see those lovely QF jumbos, and I really did feel sad when I saw the cabin crew!!

hopefull everyone will get some good news in March! :)

Ranjha83
28th Feb 2004, 18:58
Yeah, I heard that QF is flying from Syd to Mubai 3 times a week non-stop flight on 747 11 hours, starting in Sep.

Thats all I heard about QF international news. :E

QF skywalker
28th Feb 2004, 19:33
Ranhja,

Don't forget the announcement of Shanghai services - although we don't know if some of these slots maybe given to AO which would be great news !

Also Shanghai - London.

Have been reading that QF L/H are looking to purchase 10 747-400's possibly from BA which would mean stacks of crew needed.

Just remember guys if it doesn't happen now, it certainly will in a couple of years when the A380's arrive.

GalleyHag
28th Feb 2004, 19:48
The word on the street has always been that QF will not put people into ground schools until the 2004/05 financial year due to budgets etc. MAM casuals as you know are employed by a contract company for which a budget was allocated.

The rumour is external recruitment will start again in April 2004 for schools in July 2004. I just hope that current shortlisters have the opportunity for either employment or to re-apply without waiting 6 months once QF have decided not to proceed with your application.

I hope when the 31st March comes around that you dont get the rejection letter and the 6 month waiting period only for QF to recruit again in April. Fingers crossed this doesnt occur.

Cart_tart
29th Feb 2004, 00:46
nope ozskipper - work indirectly for a regional in PER! Have to apply externally like everyone else! I'll be SOOO upset if they can the shortlist then recruit in 2 months time after I've been told I can't apply for 6! Time will tell I suppose!

andyman_82
29th Feb 2004, 11:23
GH Can you please empty your mailbox ive been trying to send you private messages but it says ur inbox is full...

Let me know when u have

thanks

exmax
29th Feb 2004, 15:04
Hmmm.....QF Shanghai-London, interesting, seeing as Virgin Atlantic already operate that route and have plans to fly to Sydney via HKG. I wonder if that'd be a codeshare with BA because BA don't currently fly to Shanghai, so a bit of increased compettion there I think.

Toowoombagirl
29th Feb 2004, 15:55
Hi everyone,,I,too recieved an e-mail from Qantas on Friday evening,saying the same thing,,being on the short list till the end of March..I have no idea what is happening either..I actually called HR in December and was told that I would remain on the list until further contact and the lady I spoke to me said if it expired I would have to reapply all over again!!!I have already spent loads of money in airfares,police checks and first aid like everyone else!!!Good luck to everyone anyway,,what will be will be!:ok: :ok: :ok:

ozflyboy
29th Feb 2004, 16:53
hey my fellow shortlisters......well we're all gonna know in the next month or so.....will be SOOOO "!@#ED OFF if we are told no go, then we can't apply in April for another recruitment round....SURELY they won't let 300-400 of us Oz wide go to waste......all that time and money....!!!!!

well, my fingers are crossed for all of us - maybe we will be training together in July....!!!

Oz xox

GalleyHag
1st Mar 2004, 06:29
How typical of Qantas - extend the waitlist but advertise for off-shore labour through Adecco with training schools in May 2004 no less (see Qantas NZ thread). Gezzzz that makes me mad.

Mr Seatback 2
1st Mar 2004, 08:48
I'd be curious to learn just how many of us remain on the waitlist, given the number of MAM schools that have gone through recently in Short Haul. I know that some of those who were accepted were taken from same waitlist.

Presumeably (and I know this is wishful thinking), QF will be smart about it and, if we're deemed to have been too long on the waitlist, will simply hold a follow up interview to redetermine our suitability. That, or another extension (however unlikely)...

Hear hear on the offshore labour GalleyHag!

SocialFlyer
1st Mar 2004, 13:10
Hi Guys....

I was thinking about the Qantas Offshore recruitment and it posed a couple of questions in my mind... Could any of the Qantas staff comment?

What's the morale like amongst Cabin Crew at the moment considering management are kicking off about overstaffing issues, yet they recruit offshores? Furthermore, what do the FAAA say about this?

I dont mean to start a all out forum brawl, instad just curious as an outsider. It reminds me of the current situation with the IT industry, where it call centers are being set up in India due to lost cost labour....

Cheers All,

SocialFlyer

ozskipper
1st Mar 2004, 14:41
Have there been many MAM ground schools? I thought it was only a few?

I suppose it would be easy to work out..... How many people in a class? And how many classes have there been?

Left2primary
1st Mar 2004, 16:37
I don't have much in the way of info re future employment prospects for those on the waitlist except to say that I flew with a couple of Kiwi based Adecco staff the other day.

It seems that the last intake was for only 30 crew.

They explained that the numbers in that base had dropped to a level below which maintaining it, would be problematic and uneconomic for QF.

Conditions "enjoyed" at this base contribute to a much higher turnover/burnout rate than full time Australian based staff which explains the classes however it seems that a large intake isn't planned. Although, it seems via another post from Overhere that they are advertising again?????

Numbers at longhaul have been boosted of late by the 100 plus internal transfers from shorthaul, with it seems more on the waiting list.

I'm not sure if there is a large surplus of crew at shorthaul or if those transfering across are simply being replaced with casuals? Others may know and care to comment??

With so much in the pipeline at longhaul, both rumoured and confirmed, it seems the need for crew and lots of them must be only around the corner.

For those on the waitlist my advise would be to sit tight and be patient.
QF CC HR have always treated new applicants with contempt so whatever you do dont take it personally.
They know that you, as an individual are one of thousands so any harsh words or complaints will only ever work against you.

My experience of HR is a little along these lines--

HR will be informed by planning of the need for more flight attendants on Thursday afternoon.

Calls will be made by HR on Friday morning saying that you have a start date on Monday, take it or leave it.

Hang in there!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW I heard a "rumour" the other day that CASA observed on one of their inspection flights two Thai based FA's asleep at their jumpseats at L & R 5.

CASA investigated and it seems were none too impressed with the arduous patterns allocated to these crew and the resulting fatigue.

It seems that CASA at least consider CC human beings, which may explain why the Kiwi's have been given two local nights in SIN heading south from Europe at last.

Cheers L2P