PDA

View Full Version : Isaacs Spitfire

RabbitLeader
16th Feb 2004, 19:20
OK, so it's not strictly "historic", but the design dates back to mid-60s/ early-70s, and I think it was the first attempt at a practical Spitfire replica.

Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone might have some photos of the prototype?? I've only ever seen a handful of photos of it (most of them in John Isaacs book) and would be interested in seeing some more if people had them.

Loki
17th Feb 2004, 01:37
Definitely remember seeing pictures of the machine....in Janes? for the appropriate year.

RabbitLeader
17th Feb 2004, 15:36
I've seen a pic of it from the 82-83 Janes, and one of Jeremy Flack's books, but that seems to be all, aside from those mentioned :(

It's a shame as this is a pretty little aeroplane and, as someone else stated, it's more like a homebuilt inspired by the Spitfire than a straightforward Spitfire replica.

Arclite01
18th Feb 2004, 04:42
For the full story read 'An aeroplane affair' by Mr Isaacs himself !!!

Interesting read.

cheers

Arc

RabbitLeader
18th Feb 2004, 19:15
Yours truly is intending to build the THIRD Isaacs Spitfire!!

BEXIL160
19th Feb 2004, 00:28
The March / April PFA magazine dropped through the letterbox today and lo and behold, among the classifieds FOR SALE is

THE Issacs Spifire

(that's how it's advertised)

Rgds BEX

proplover
19th Feb 2004, 01:24
I saw it in a hanger at Tatenhill about 18 months ago, it looked in good nick at the time. The chap said he was thinking of selling it as he never got to fly it.

Willie Winglet
19th Feb 2004, 02:29
Just checked in Merseyside Av. Soc.'s "British Homebuilt Aircraft since 1920" (2nd Ed. publ. Apr 1979), and it says that John Isaacs began construction in 1969, and the aircraft flew from Thruxton early in 1975. It's approx 6/10 scale. I vaguely remember it turning up at one of the PFA rallies at Sywell, probably 1975/76.

Another scale/replica Spitfire design was produced by Marcel Jurca as the MJ-10. Jurca is probably better known for the Tempete and Scirocco, but has also produced plans for a scale Mustang. At the time the Homebuilts book mentioned above was written, two Jurca Spits were under construction in the UK. It would be interesting to find out if they have ever seen the light of day.

RabbitLeader
19th Feb 2004, 15:34
BEX - The PROTOTYPE Isaacs Spit?? :eek: G-BBJI??

Blimey!

BEXIL160
19th Feb 2004, 16:20
Rabbit Leader...

The quote is verbatim. It doesn't actually say "The Prototype", merely :
THE Issacs Spitfire

So, whether it actually is'JI, you can't tell. Unless of course you ring the chap up.

I'm not going to give out the details here as :
1) I don't want the chap bothered by "time wasters" And
2) I'd rather like people to join the PFA

Rgds BEX

RabbitLeader
19th Feb 2004, 17:08
Well, the prototype is the only one to have flown, to my knowledge, and there are only two on the UK register - G-BBJI and G-BXOM, which is being built by a Welsh bloke whom I'm going to see next weekend.

I'm planning on joining the PFA very soon. In fact, I'll send a cheque for my membership along with one for my Spitfire plans. Sandy Hutton is on his way up here next Friday as it happens.... ;)

Genghis the Engineer
20th Feb 2004, 17:10
Be warned Rabbit Leader.

Isaacs designed two replicas, the Spitfire and the Fury; I understand that the man-hours and manufacturing techniques are pretty similar between the two.

I met a gent once who had just finished building an Isaacs Fury, which he'd started just after he'd retired. I asked how many hours it took, he said about 3,500.

What profession had he retired from? - he had spent his entire life as a carpenter.

G

RabbitLeader
20th Feb 2004, 19:40
Probably why there's only ever been two built then....

Although, strangely, rather more Furies!

Kingy
22nd Feb 2004, 18:35
I happen to own the original Fury - It is my dream to have the pair. Alas, I'm pretty broke at the moment ho hum. It would be great to get them both to the PFA rally this year though, it would be the first time since the 70's I believe.

Kingy

Airbedane
22nd Feb 2004, 19:16
Aeromodeller, August 1976, feaured a description of the Isaac's Spitfire, several b&w pictures, scale drawings and a front cover colour picture. Aeromodeller is now owned by Model Activity Press - contact them on: [email protected], I'm sure they could supply a photo-copy.

Spookily enough, the current Publisher of Aeromodeller, Tony Dowdeswell, was at Old Warden yesterday during the Nostalgia Drinkies Bash, taking photos of the Collection's Comper for a future feature - had you been here and had you known, you could have asked him direct. It's amazing who you miss at these Bashes.....

Airbedane.

RabbitLeader
22nd Feb 2004, 20:08
Cheers for that, Airbedane, will drop him a line.

Plans arrive on Friday....:D

Hairyplane
23rd Feb 2004, 16:22
Kingy,

Is yours the award winning yellow machine that was built by Dudley (Flair Model Aircraft kits) Patterson?

A beautiful aircraft if so.

I remember it at Lower Upham Farm - for sale at the time for not a lot of money - when we went to buy Clive Du Cros' Messenger there.

I cant understand how somebody can spend such a chunk of their lives crafting something so exquisite, only to sell it for a lot lot less than it cost to build (and thats just the sum of the bits!)

Did you get to know Dudley? Did you buy it from him? Super bloke, now flying Robin Regent G-DUDZ.

He does get to a lot of the vintage aircraft events.

Whats it like to fly?

Enjoy!

HP

Kingy
24th Feb 2004, 17:59
HP,

Hi, I have seen Dudley's beautiful Fury - I was hugely impressed by the streamlined flying wires and the hand beat alloy cowls. He did sell it for very little and it does seem that Furies don't fetch much money. I've always thought it was strange because they are an absolutely gorgeous aircraft both in the air and to look at - perhaps it's because of their reputation for being a bit of a handful on the ground.. which there're not really.

I half own G-ASCM John Isaacs' original Fury. It's a real privilege to own a piece of British avation history. She's been pranged a few times over the years and has been re built with twin fuel tanks, brakes and a tailwheel. Sadly, the original alloy blister cowlings have gone and, at present, is in 'dirty' configuration. Dudley flew in to our strip back in the summer and gave us the number of his panel beater - we're hoping to restore her original lines as in John's book at some point. She's been out of the air for a while - we've had problems replacing the mags, but finally settled on new slicks with no impulse, we've fitted a lovely new GT prop too. I'll be digging her out of the back of the hanger next weekend and going for a start...!

Don't pass up a chance to fly a Fury as they have perfect 'British' handling and really do feel right in the air, with the ratio between the controls being spot-on. Just watch out for the masses of drag..

Cordially

Kingy

RabbitLeader
24th Feb 2004, 19:23
Dudley's Fury - would that be the yellow and silver one?

I'm currently reading about JO Isaacs' Fury in his book. It's a fascinating read, although of course I'm looking forward to reading the bit about the Spitfire ;)

Hairyplane
24th Feb 2004, 21:24
Yep! Same scheme as my Magister - yellow with polished alloy cowlings.

I think he won best homebuild wit it one year at the PFA Rally??

Love to see any of Isaacs machines at Old Warden. Check out the airshow programme for this season and come on down!

HP

Kingy
25th Feb 2004, 00:27
HP, Thanks, I certainly will - I'd love to visit Old Warden by air this year, and I'm hoping to get out and about in 'CM during the summer - you're welcome to 'av a go if we hook up..

Kingy

RabbitLeader
25th Feb 2004, 02:39
Kingy

What's the difference in performance with a "dirty" cowling on the Fury, if any?

Kingy
25th Feb 2004, 04:11
RL

Quite a lot I believe as in JOI's book he states the top speed as 115mph - ours won't do anything like that - maybe 85-90knots flat out on the same engine. Have a look on page 210 of the book for a good shot of the Fury and Spit in formation - it shows the similar and unusual cowlings of the originals. To my knowledge no Fury since has had cowlings as per the original Fury 11. My dad owned it in the early eighties for a while whilst it was in it's original state and I remember the quality of the spinner and sheetwork as being stunning. I also remember it being very nose heavy - you could literally pick the tail up with one finger..!

Check out G-info for a pic of how she looks now...

Good luck with the Spit project .

Kingy

RabbitLeader
25th Feb 2004, 04:50
Ahhh.... so it's cowlings on for G-DAZZ ;)

thanks Kingy!

Windy Militant
27th Feb 2004, 20:24
Rabbit Leader,
I was thumbing through the EAA woodworking techniques book last night and it has a reprint of an article by Mr Isaacs about building the spar of the Spitfire and also a flight test report. I think that the book is available by post from the PFA. PFA Technical books (http://www.pfa.org.uk/acatalog/PFA_Online_shop_Technical_12.html) The PFA might just have a list of Articles from Popular flying as well, although I suspect that they may have gotten rid of a lot of the old back issues when they moved. You could always try the flea market at the rally.
One thing it says in the article is that the Spitfire is constructed in an entirely different manner to the Fury.

PS Duds won the Pooleys Sword with his Fury, and is now building an RV 4 to his usual hideously perfectionist standard.

shortstripper
28th Feb 2004, 14:02
I remember working near Saltby in 80's when I was treated to a great little display by the Isaacs Spitfire ... It looked very close but sounded wrong so I went up to the airfield to investigate. I met the then owner and had a good look over her. Very neat woodwork but it must have taken an awful lot of work ... especially those wings.

I do hope somebody suitable buys her!

SS

Hairyplane
28th Feb 2004, 22:21
Hi Kingy - awfully kind of you to offer me a go in your machine. You must be mad!

I only have around an hour solo on biplanes (Shuttleworths Tiger and Cygnet). I am a civilian- trained pilot and don't have a huge number of hours. However, most of them are on tailwheel machines and I did learn on them too!

The Maggie can be soloed from either seat so ever with my 'Hairy' butt in the front you can still log the time.

I look forward to the priviledge.

You will love the Maggie to bits.

See you at OW.

HP

RabbitLeader
29th Feb 2004, 17:33
I just had a letter yesterday from the former owner - the Spit now has a new owner.

The original took some six years to build - including design work!

RabbitLeader
2nd Mar 2004, 15:24
Just a thought (one of those "Let's see if it has legs" ideas!) but would there be any interest in creating a sort-of supporters club for the two Isaacs replicas?

Tim Mills
11th Mar 2004, 14:38
Kingy, so glad to read that G-ASCM is still around. I was lucky enough to fly it when it was kept at Lands End; I only got a couple of trips, total 30 minutes, but enough to make me want lots more, and to appreciate a lovely little aeroplane.

I don't know,or have forgotten, who owned it then, I was there in 1974, but many thanks to who ever it was who gave me the opportunity.