PDA

View Full Version : QF bases for Second Officers.

ruprecht
16th Feb 2004, 16:46
To all you QF guys in the know.

Just received a letter from QF stating that they're updating their application form and asking prospective SO's to nominate if they would prefer a MEL or SYD basing. There is then the standard spiel of "choosing either city won't affect the competitiveness of your application yadah, yadah, yadah..." and "we have the right to send you to either city regardless of your choice." My question:

Would choosing either city lean you towards a certain aircraft type, ie. A-330 over 744 or 743?

Any responses appreciated.

ruprecht.

DirectAnywhere
16th Feb 2004, 17:06
Given that the A330 (and 737) sims are in MEL, I would guess a choice of MEL would lead you towards the A330.

A330 would probably be quite good as a S/O as once it gets going internationally, there will be lots of sectors to try and get your hands on. And, if you can get in early, you'll have instant seniority in rank and could pick your trips.

Little or no overtime though.

Salt Spray
16th Feb 2004, 17:30
SO if they asking where you want to go they must have so many spots coming up they will be recruiting like pre SARS?

Fingers crossed!

Good to know that it still appears the A330 will be going Intl soon.

Ruprecht, you say prospective S/O's...
What defines prospective? ie how long have you had your app in and/or are you due to commence testing or a course soon?

happydriver
16th Feb 2004, 17:49
Fingers crossed indeed....saw a QF A330 in sin not too long ago...since when did QF have bases in mel....can someone elaborate...cheers

Capt Fathom
16th Feb 2004, 18:10
Longhaul base is Sydney.
Maybe when the A330 goes international they may employ SO's with a MEL basing option?

ruprecht
16th Feb 2004, 18:55
Salt Spray.

Have had my app in for a while and had my reference check done about 2 weeks ago. I don't really know what to make of this new twist. Ideally I'd like to get onto the 744 as an SO but I'm wondering if they'll offer this out of MEL. My gut feeling is no.

ruprecht

*Lancer*
16th Feb 2004, 22:53
There are only 2 flights on the 400 out of MEL anyway...

Looks like they'll base 330 S/Os there - makes sense though because the sims are there and all the crew are together.

Qantas has had a MEL base since at least the merger!

Lancer

engine out
17th Feb 2004, 10:20
I have it on fairlygood authority from sources close tothe Qantas top ranks that the basing of A330 out of melbourne is or will shortly be under review. This is, I guess due to it becoming an international aircraft and most flights being based out of Sydney. I haven't heard anything of SO basings other than that of Sydney but will be interested to see if that happens. Many SO's already live in both Melb and Bne and would love basings too come up there and would pull seniority to get it so new recruits (assuming on 400) would still end up in Syd anyway.

TwinNDB
15th Sep 2004, 01:28
Just wondering if anyone had updated info on the ML basings and the application forms about your preference.

altocu
15th Sep 2004, 01:54
ruprecht

I started at QF earlier this year.

I ticked sydney as my preference for a basing, but ended up getting Melbourne. The only S/Os based here now are on the 330, but there are also some in Sydney. So in summary, Melb = A330, Syd = 74 or 330....at the moment anyway!

Hope this helps,

Alto

happydriver
15th Sep 2004, 13:36
Altocu..good to see you back on the threads.Most of us here (incl. myself) are still waiting for that call....was wondering if you would care to share with us the training/employment process you've gone through since that call....and what the near future holds for you....and hopefully the rest of us too!!

Cheers:ok:

altocu
21st Sep 2004, 00:58
Happy Driver,

Check your PMs

Altocu