View Full Version : pig replacement.

teapoo
16th Feb 2004, 08:54
just two questions. How long will the pig remain in RAAF service? and when will they stop training pilots to fly the mighty beast? anybody got any info?

FJJP
16th Feb 2004, 21:46
Really? I didn't know that the RAAF Flew Varsities!!!

newswatcher
16th Feb 2004, 23:03
Interesting fjjp just how many military aircraft were christened "the pig"? Wasn't the Valetta one? Must be a term of endearment!

FJJP
17th Feb 2004, 01:40
NW, as far as I am aware, the Valetta did not have a nickname. The Vickers Varsity was generally known as the 'Pig'.

However, I believe most of us had fond memories of this magnificent aircraft...

FJJP

Laker Liker
17th Feb 2004, 02:17
Sorry Guys,

The Varsity was never the "Pig", that title went deservedly to the Valetta.

The Varsity was too sophisticated for such a name.

How do I know? I was on the Hastings on 48 Squadron and the Pig used to supply drop with us in Borneo - and a d****d good job it did an all!!!

Cougar
17th Feb 2004, 05:12
The pig has been called such since its inception in the 70's over here. Not that i would expect someone from Blighty to know that!!

Its just an Aussie way of saying "Aardvark" (considering we have none, it would seem a bit weird calling it such wouldn't it?)

Termed the pig cos of its long snout and the fact that it loves blasting around down in the mud.

kmagyoyo
17th Feb 2004, 06:27
The Pig will go the way of the wilderbeast in 2010 (or there abouts.)

This is assuming the Hornet has JDAM, the new tankers are here to refuel it and the shiney new AWACS are up and running to see the Sukhoi's coming over the horizon.

The Pig is dead, long live....global hawk?!?!

Pass-A-Frozo
17th Feb 2004, 16:07
The Pig will go the way of the wilderbeast in 2010

They're going to let it wander the plains of Africa?

:}

BEagle
18th Feb 2004, 05:30
It was, in fact, the useless Saro Lerwick twin engined flying boat which had the earliest 'pig' nickname. Actually, it was called the 'Sinking Pig' after its singular inability to maintain height on one engine...... It looked like a slightly smaller Sunderland with just 2 engines, flew about as well as the Sunderland did on 2 engines and had a vicious stall.

Grimweasel
18th Feb 2004, 16:51
Chop the PIG now and buy some F15E's. The USAF will have a few spare I'm sure once they convert the Raptor to a bomb truck!!

Cornish Jack
19th Feb 2004, 01:23
Laker Liker
The Valetta was, indeed, the Pig - more particularly the Nav trainer version because the row of astrodomes looked like porker's udders (inverted!!):) The other reason was the requirement to land three-pointed and (as one vastly experienced pilot pointed out) such an arrival was totally down to luck. Still have fond memories of the old girl in spite of the fact that during a two year tour in Aden, we left the wrecked remains on just about every strip in the Protectorate.:(