PDA

View Full Version : Would this work on aircraft?

squire
16th Feb 2004, 07:17
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A prominent Israeli rabbi has proposed hanging bags of pig fat in buses to deter Muslim suicide bombers who may want to avoid contact with an "unclean" animal, an Israeli official said on Thursday.

The idea -- suggested by Rabbi Eliezer Fisher, a rabbinical judge, in a letter to police -- signaled the extremes to which some Israelis may be willing to go to stop Palestinian bombers who have killed hundreds of Israelis in recent years.

Judaism, like Islam, considers pigs unclean. But the ultra-Orthodox rabbi has ruled that special dispensation can be given for placing bags of lard in buses and public places in an effort to prevent attacks.

Police had no immediate comment on the proposal.

Asked about the deterrent capability of pig fat on Israeli buses, Palestinian sources called it an exercise in futility.

Islamic militants are told by those who send them on bombing missions that their souls enter Paradise instantly after they explode despite any contamination or defilement of their bodies.

"It's not a problem if it saves lives," Israeli Deputy Public Security Minister Yaakov Edri said, referring to the breaking of Jewish religious law.

"I personally support it," Edri told Reuters. "If it can deter even one suicide bomber -- then wonderful. Security authorities must consider it."

An article on the rabbi's proposal published on the Web site of the Israeli newspaper Maariv drew dozens of e-mail responses from readers ranging from incredulous to complimentary.

Slasher
16th Feb 2004, 08:50
It mightnt work.

That John Laws and Arabs mp3 explains it all. :p

pigboat
16th Feb 2004, 09:53
I got no problem with that.

con-pilot
16th Feb 2004, 11:05
Nah, I say stick with naked women.

Or better yet, naked women covered in pig fat.:E

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2004, 11:15
It won't work anyway as you're allowed to bend the laws if the reasons are good enough. A little like the hijackers not having beards and living like westerners so that they can fit in. Or guys shooting doctors who do abortions.

Boss Raptor
16th Feb 2004, 20:10
Compulsory eating of bacon sarnies prior to boarding...now that is allowed if the muslim eater can claim he didnt know...so when u shout loadly 'bacon sarnie' in the suspects ear and he/she starts praying you know u have a positive result

I knew a muslim who for many years when he came to UK would eat gammon steak...we thought he was just doing the usual and when in Rome etc...no it turned out (so he claimed) he really though as it was Beef 'Steak'...he was really disappointed as after we told him he could never eat it again and 'sigh...it tasted so good' :{

under_exposed
16th Feb 2004, 20:16
Compulsory eating of bacon sarnies prior to boarding
Thats going to hit rather a lot of religions, including christianity if you look back far enough.

surely not
17th Feb 2004, 00:01
Just think how pax loads would soar if the airlines provided bacon butties on every flight!

There are some that would say we already have pig fat on evry flight, nowadays it's behind a locked door to keep it safe from the pax:D :D

Obviously I wouldn't say this:ok:

Ozzy
17th Feb 2004, 00:04
what did the pig do to deserve this?:eek:

Ozzy

Loki
17th Feb 2004, 01:29
What about having every bus/aircraft designated as a mosque.

Thinks; direction of mecca may be a problem....techno gismo head up display required to always show direction.

Boss Raptor
17th Feb 2004, 01:38
Not so..many muslim national carriers have a 'Mecca Meter', usually a channel on the IFE with a big arrow pointing the way...Iran Air take out about 8 seats and curtain off a prayer area with mats and compass indicator to allow swiveling of said prayer persons :ok:

Pprune 'Yashmak' icon :suspect:

Loki
17th Feb 2004, 04:42
One could always ensure that one got on board an aircraft with a bomb on ones person...if the odds of one person having a bomb were say, a million to one then the chances of two people would be......

Bre901
17th Feb 2004, 06:24
... still one million to one, because as you carry the bomb in your luggage, your own probability is one to one, not one million to one

just feeling I fell into some kind of trap, have I ? :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :ok:

no reds
17th Feb 2004, 07:45
2 x 1 million not dificult surely

etrang
17th Feb 2004, 11:27
Probability of 1 or more bombs = 1
Probability of 2 bombs = 1 * 1/1,000,000 = 1 in 1 million

under_exposed
17th Feb 2004, 15:39
Probability of 2 bombs = 1 * 1/1,000,000 = 1 in 1 million
Probability of exactly two bombs would be higher as it may be that there are three bombs

Rupert S
17th Feb 2004, 16:13
funny that, my dad had suggested bombing them with pig fat.