PDA

View Full Version : QF cheaper than VB ?

chief wiggum
16th Feb 2004, 06:55
Was reading a comparison of airfares in a sunday paper yesterday and noticed that GENERALLY, QF had cheaper airfares than VB!

Sure, the full economy price was more expensive, and on selected routes such as SYD-CBR, VB was cheaper. But most of the others ie SYD-MEL, SYD-ADL and SYD-BNE, QF was 5 - 6 dollars cheraper than VB on the "super cheap fares", 3-4 dollars cheaper on internet bookings.. AND on QF, you didn't have to fly at off peak times during the middle of the week!

of course, it is all about availability, and I realise that sometimes it will be cheaper on another airline, just due to how many seats have already been sold.

Interesting though that 'australia's low cost airline' actually isn't ... maybe it should just be called "Australia's no frills airline"?

bonzaman
16th Feb 2004, 07:11
The question is, would the fares be available at those prices if there was no VB.

404 Titan
16th Feb 2004, 08:31
bonzaman
The question is, would the fares be available at those prices if there was no VB.
The question is, would the fares be available at those prices if there was no QF. Competition is a two way street. Do you really think the fares would be so cheap if DJ had the market to themselves? The simple answer is “NO”. Competition keeps both sides honest. :ok:

Capt EFIS
16th Feb 2004, 19:07
chief wiggum,

I noticed that the other day when I had to book some flights over to the east coast on the internet, QF ended up being cheaper.

amos2
16th Feb 2004, 19:47
It's been my experience over the last few years that QF is always cheaper and has better schedules than VB. Sad but true, 'cause I hate flying with that mangy mob! :p

Specnut727
18th Feb 2004, 18:55
If you keep an eye on VB sales, and get in quick, you can get some cheap flights. During their Valentines day sale I bought 2 returns BNE-SYD for $170. I don't think QF can match that !

Also, I'm surprised by the reports of QF being cheaper than VB. I have heard of companies halving their business travel costs by switching to VB !

Prop's ????
20th Feb 2004, 08:41
I have to ask, on what grounds are you all making these comments?

Only a few years ago when Ansett fell over and Qantas had the show in the Top End, airfares hit the roof. The bid QF had the market and didn’t give an inch.

Yes QF does offer specials, but they are very limited. On the other hand most VB seats are the same price.

QF said Australia doesn’t need a low cost carrier, well why Jet Star?

I am not saying VB is the best airline, but lets not all be one sided. Lets see what the main line boys and girls say when their jobs start to wind up.

compressor stall
20th Feb 2004, 12:54
Hmmm,

I remember getting quotes for QF and AN for Darwin-Mel-Adl-Darwin for 8 days.

$770.10c for QF and $770.10c for AN.

If that was not market collusion, I'm 3 foot high, albino, have wings and live at the bottom of a garden.

Nowdays, yes certain routes and certain times QF are cheaper.

Last time I went to visit the folks, I flew from home on QF to PH, QF to MEL, DJ back to PH and XR back home.

You could take a snapshot at any hour/day/month/route and come up with a different company that is cheapest.

The only way is to survey pax, which one newspaper did a year ago and quickly got shuffled off by security and airline staff. :E

Aussierotor
20th Feb 2004, 14:01
Dont know what all the big deal is.Virgin prices average about $8 cheaper than qantas.Personally im not worried about $8 as i well and truly make that up along the line somewher.

Direct flights ok with DJ ,but others seem to have odd times and long waits for connecting flights.

Of course it depends on the day of travel you want-----may be able to find a cheapy still available on either ,but the super cheap to normal price still only vary thay $6--8.

i got no choice from Nth West WA to Perth as only Qantas AirLink do the run,so its easier to go the one airline.
Just booked holidays in June------Nth West----Perth--Ade---Syd-----Cairns----Uluru--Perth----Nth West for $940 with QF.

Perth---Adel for $105
Adel--Syd for $68/

No doubt competition makes a difference.Since Ansett left the Nth West the cheapest fares are 50% more expensive now.

So as far as low cost airlines,to me its a load of crock.

Bit like selling something for $9.99 to the oppositions $10 ,but it gets everyones attention.

VMCA
21st Feb 2004, 14:35
Who cares about, who's cheaper. So long as the public continue to travel we all remain employed.:ok:

Eastwest Loco
21st Feb 2004, 17:30
As a leech on the arse of the industry (a Travel Agent) I have to compare DJ and QF fares for quite a number of corporates.

It is line ball as to cheapest, with QF slightly ahead on competitive routes.

QF falls down once demand picks up, with discount classes closed down.

DJ falls down once seat occupancy gets higher due to the babyjet theory they operate.

Marketing is a wonderful thing. People assume DJ is always cheaper due to some very clever advertising.

I suppose that is what it is all about!!

Who cares - the dudes are buying tickets and keeping us all in work.

Best all

EWL

tobzalp
21st Feb 2004, 17:40
I think a fair cost comparrison would be average cost of seat over the entire cabin not this lowest available cost.

Eastwest Loco
21st Feb 2004, 18:14
Yes tobzalp

As it works in real time - it is 50-50.

That is over all the leisure and corporate routes we use and fairly consistent.

If it is $20 or around that dearer on QF each way, the QF Club member or frequent flyer will opt for the rat as I indeed would.

Marketing is indeed everything.

Best

EWL

Home Brew
23rd Feb 2004, 05:23
One small detail that's being overlooked when checking the airfare price - those little hidden away conditions which often cost $$$'s. Buy a "red e-deal" with the red rat - no changes allowed - so if you HAVE to change your plans, you've done ya dough. At least with DJ, outside of 24 hours, changes can be made. It will cost a few more $$'s, but at least the original amount spent isn't totally blown!!

Aussierotor
23rd Feb 2004, 08:23
thats questionable--------maybe if a seats still available they let you on.
I stuffed up in Cairns once-----got my days mixed up and flew a day late.Then the plane died so was sent via Brissie and put in bussiness class .Then on arrival to Perth was 6 hours late for flight up bush and was put up in hotel for 2 nights until next flight.

But maybe ,being a Qantas Club member may have helped---i dont know.

Plus i thought you can change you dates for a fee.